Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I read and respect @I Am A Swede's concerns about Kim's return.  While I agree that not having Chris, Zoe, or Seth around limits her impact, I am interested in seeing if they sew up some of Kim's loose ends.  Where's her son?  Is her son really a Tate?  What is her impact on Joe?  How is she going to insult Charity?  I dip in and out of the show, but I will watch all week with some excitement.  

• Members

After reading spoilers and seeing photos a horrible thought has entered my mind, and I can't seem to shake it off..... But I don't want to believe it. Surely they couldn't be that stupid and kill off Kim?! Could they?

And would Claire King return for something like that?

Please, please, please don't let that happen. It's bad enough that they're bringing Kim back and, judging by the spoilers, with a dreadful story that completely ruins everything about her legacy, but to kill her off would be such a slap in the face and I'm not sure I could ever forgive that.   

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Yes, I knew she was only back for a week. But they can't be that stupid! They can't!! Bring Kim back to kill her off?! They might as well just spit in the face of all us long-time viewers.  

ETA: If they do kill her off, and it's a Dingle who does the deed then I don't know what I'll do....

Edited by I Am A Swede

• Members

Wow, thank you so very f*cking much Emmerdale! Not only are you ruining Kim and her legacy with this revolting story, you've also managed to spit all over Zoe!  

Apparently whoever is writing this load of crap have no clue whatsoever about who Zoe was and what family meant to her. She would never, ever, ever have dumped Joseph in a boarding school and left him. 

But I guess they can't let such a little thing as history come between them and the "story" (and I use the term loosely) that they want to tell.  

I don't think I have ever been so disgusted with this show before, not even when they dumped Viv and Terry the way they did. This whole thing makes me sick!!

Edited by I Am A Swede

• Members

I didn't think it was a big leap from the Zoe of her last 5-6 years on the show. She was much colder. She'd had two mental breakdowns and in her last year on the show tried to kill someone and then blew up Home Farm. She also had never been that close to Joe. I can believe that Jean would have been her main priority.

The problem is we aren't actually seeing Zoe to explain her actions, and the writing is vague and half-hearted, so she looks worse.

• Members

Not this though. Even though she and Chris had their differences she loved him very much, and Joseph was all she had left of him, The Zoe I followed for 15 years would never have abandoned him.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but it just felt like such a low blow for them to do that to Zoe when she isn't a part of the show anymore. Newer viewers who never saw her will get a totally wrong impression of her, and to a long-time viewer like me that just sucks!

I feared that this story would be bad, I just had no idea how bad!

• Members

I understand what you mean. I guess, for me, just her putting him in a boarding school and their losing contact is less of a destruction than something I could have seen happening, especially given her mental health. If they'd had him saying that she had disowned him and said he was a loser like his father, and so on, it would have bothered me.

I can see why people are unhappy though.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Furthermore, if Zoe had lost contact with Joseph, how would he have gotten the information about Chris and Charity and their relationship? After all, that was his story in the beginning, getting revenge on Charity for what she did to Chris. He couldn't have gotten that information from Kim, since she was gone from Emmerdale before Charity even turned up.

And if Joseph wanted revenge on Charity for mistreating Chris, how the hell did he end up in cahoots with Kim?! She and Chris were bitter enemies to the end, and practically the last thing she did was humiliating and hurting him.

No, to me this story sucks big-time, and as I feared it has completely ruined Kim. I just had no idea that it would be this bad, and that it would damage Zoe as well.

And some of the tweets quoted in this article just make me want to throw up. I guess Emmerdale got their wish, they finally managed to hoodwink the audience into rooting for Debbie again. Too bad that it had to be at Kim's expense. A character that used to be worth a million Debbie Dingles....

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/emmerdale/news/a868055/emmerdale-catch-up-kim-tate-graham-foster-joe-tate-leaves-fans-want-return/

• Members

You're right about the plot holes. I figured, if I'm being generous, Graham and Kim told him about Charity to give him a reason to want to buy Home Farm.

I agree Kim > Debbie, although honestly I think Debbie has always been more popular than people think she is. If they did use Kim to try to wave away Debbie's acid attack plot then that is pretty sad (I figure the Sarah heart saga is used more for that purpose). 

I also wonder how much of this was rushed around if the guy who plays Joe decided to leave unexpectedly.

• Members

^^

The massive plot holes obviously stems from the fact that Kim was nowhere near Joseph's story when it was originally conceived. When Claire King agreed to come back for a stint they had to fit her in somewhere and this is the way they chose to do that. To hell with logic!

Kim was never obsessed with Home Farm. She wanted money, nothing else. Why she would still see Home Farm as her home, after all this time, is another thing that makes no sense.

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm nit-picking, but there's just so much about this story that infuriates me. The disappointment and anger I felt towards the show for the disrespectful way they treated Deena Payne and Billy Hartman after all their years of service pales in comparison to this.

And you're right, Sarah's failing heart is clearly ( and might I add, cynically) used to elicit sympathy for Debbie. But this story is fitting nicely into that scheme as well, and sadly the audience is buying into it.

ETA: And where is Kim's son, James? He would only be 22 now, and if Kim's been in prison for years, where has he lived and with whom?

Edited by I Am A Swede

• Members

I think if I'd been watching back then I would share your reaction more. As it is what happened with Deena and Billy bothers me more than just about anything on Emmerdale.

Anyway, at least this is happy (not the right word) news for Leah Bracknell.

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/emmerdale/news/a868144/emmerdale-leah-bracknell-cancer-thriver-terminal-diagnosis/