Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

A rather low-key exit for Lachlan.....

And the new addition to the cast is instead a...wait for it...... Dingle! What else?  

Please register in order to view this content

Charity's father Obadiah is next in line of the Dingle hoard to grace our tv-screens.....  Isn't it exciting?!  

And another thing. I wonder why Jessie was so reluctant to tell Marlon she had a son in prison? He's a Dingle for heaven's sake. That little tidbit of information would only make him more interested. There's no better way to a Dingle's heart than through criminal activities.

• Members

I think Obadiah is probably only going to make a few appearances. I have to admit I'm interested to see Charity's father, as we never have in all these years. I can see why others would not, don't get me wrong. 

Marlon is supposed to be one of the "good" Dingles (whether he is or not is in the eye of the beholder), so she is probably more wary. 

• Members

It's funny how Kim is now being remembered only as the superbitch of Emmerdale, when she wasn't a bitch for more than half her run....

And I've said this before, and I'll say it again with upcomin events in mind... I think a big part of Kim's status as the iconic bitch is due to her fantastic exit. She left undefeated and in triumph. I really, really hope that they take real care not to ruin that with her return. But I'm afraid that the mere fact that she is returning is going to taint her character. Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but I'm not holding my breath......

• Members

I agree. I think that the writing for Kim was pretty layered throughout her run. Even in her last year, Steve Marchant was the one who did the really bad things, like leaving Kathy for dead and trying to kill her in hospital. Kim herself was always more complex than just being a "bitch." I don't think Claire King sees her that way, sadly, so I'm not sure that it will carry over this time around. I sure hope it will. Given the amount of times they tried to make Lachlan seem sympathetic after he murdered his own mother and his best friend, Kim doesn't deserve to just be a hellbitch.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Kim did some heinous things too, like trying to trample Nick with her horse, watching Frank die before her eyes and taunting Kathy at Dave's funeral. But, like you said, she was much more complex than that.

I think it's telling that the last thing we heard about her (at least I think it was the last) was when she sent flowers to Seth's funeral. They had a very touching relationship, and little things like that go a long way towards humanizing even the most despicable characters. (Unless it's a Dingle, then all bets are off.....

)

• Members

Well, after reading some spoilers about Kim's return all I can say is: I knew it! I knew this return would destroy Kim's legacy. So frustrating!  

It also means that I have completely changed my mind about possibly bringing back other favourites from the past. Now I want each and every one of them to stay as far away from this show as possible. No Sam, no Matt, no Dolly, no Kathy, no Sandie.... Leave them in the past and let their legacy remain intact.

• Members

I don't think this return is entirely off Kim's past, so I don't think they would get the same type of writing, but sadly they aren't likely to return anyway. 

The biggest problem is that so many fans, and even Claire King herself, seem to just remember Kim as a huge bitch. That means we get these OTT bitchy moments, without what made her who she was.