Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

I'm surprised you could make it through 2015/2016, which were so grim (especially late 2015/early 2016 and late 2016).  The show does feel very grim again now though, but I think the material is better than most of late 2015/early 2016. Aaron's abuse story will always be a low point for me with this show.

I was more unhappy with Moira not doing more to help clear Adam's name than with the Matty stuff. I felt like they mostly used Moira for a generic PSA and then she accepted him in a few weeks.

I agree about Joe - I think it's less about the Dingles winning (although that's a factor) and more about them realizing that people weren't here for a Robert vs Joe pissing contest and that was just going to make Joe a hate figure for viewers. So, since they didn't want viewers to hate him, he is...just there. He needs more Tates, even if they have to invent a few.

I doubt it will happen but I hope they do pair him with Priya. 

I actually don't mind Graham at all, but I think the flashback episode was mostly "We're doing flashbacks - wow!" and "Ghostly vision - wow!" without enough real effort taken. And the stuff with Megan is just a bore and seems pointless, as she keeps going back to Frank anyway, even after cheating on him and trying to get him locked up.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

@I Am A Swede you might enjoy this.

https://www.theemmerdaily.co.uk/emmerdale-news/cast/emmerdale-news-emmerdale-stars-revisit-ww1-in-new-documentary/

There is a book coming out about Beckindale in the WW1 era.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Christmas-at-Emmerdale-Pamela-Bell/dp/1409184994/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533499249&sr=8-1&keywords=Christmas+in+emmerdale

August 1914, and a terrible war begins, one that will affect the lives of everyone in the village of Beckindale. For Maggie Sugden, left to run Emmerdale Farm on her own while her husband, Joe, is at the front, it will bring grief and loss but also independence and the chance to find a place to belong - and perhaps even to love again.

• Members

Since there's not much else going on right now I felt we might as well have a little trip down memory lane. It was on this date, August 15th, that Dolly Skilbeck left Beckindale back in 1991. Her departure, and the final appearance of Henry Wilks exactly two weeks later (August 29th) ended a long line of long-time character exits that had begun two years earlier with Sandie Merrick, and which also included Jackie Merrick, Caroline Bates, Rev. Donald Hinton, Matt Skilbeck and Amos Brearly. It might sound a little bit drastic but it feels like this was the end of the "old" Emmerdale and the beginning of the new updated show which revolved less around farming and more about typical soap opera issues.

• Members

It's very sad. I guess considering Jean Rogers left due to unhappiness of stories, at least Dolly was not violently killed, as happened to a number of other ladies on Emmerdale. Still, it's sad to see her go and to know there are so few left. This also further isolated the Sugdens, which had already been happening. It is very prescient when she calls Frank and Kim out as users - I wonder if that was intentional or not. 

It doesn't help that the extremely depressing story with Kate Hughes leaving was going on at the same time. 

• Members

There's not much going on here right now, and I can't say I'm surprised. The show is going through a really rough patch right now.

I wonder if Lachlan really has killed Rebecca this time? It looks increasingly like it but as long there is hope....  I really don't want her to go because while she's alive she will be a constant reminder to Aaron of her affair with Robert. I know Sebastian is still around but Rebecca's presence would probably be more annoying to Aaron, and that is naturally a good thing.... 

Please register in order to view this content

I'm liking Priya more and more. I think her working for Joseph is a good direction to take. Hopefully she can become a (sharp) thorn in Debbie's side. Not that it will matter in the long run most likely, since Debbie must always come out on top, but it could be enjoyable while it lasts.

Sam's big storyline was over almost before it even started. He really doesn't bring anything to the show anymore (not that he ever brought much) and he could be written out very easily and I doubt many would miss him. Same with Marlon.

Of course I would preferably see other Dingles go before, but I'm not stupid and I realize that Debbie, Charity, Cain and Aaron will be around as long as they want to stay.  

It's funny how the returns of Robert Sugden and Joseph Tate have been so completely ruined. I was excited for both of their returns, but now they're both stuck in relationships with Dingles. Such a shame....

• Members

Quality is probably one factor (although for me the quality has not been that great since about 2009), but most of the people who used to post here have pretty much left the site.

I think James Hooton is one of the best actors on the show and that's something they don't really have a lot of, so I'd keep him for that reason. His family unit has a lot of potential if they work with it (admittedly they probably won't).

The biggest problem with Joseph is they aren't likely to bring in any other Tates so he is mostly stranded beyond Debbie. He hasn't been destroyed the way Robert has been, but he is also less likely to stay around, because he isn't part of a popular m/m pairing. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Are they serious with this crap about Lachlan hiring a nurse to help keep Rebecca captive? I can't believe the depths this show has sunk to. It's pathetic!  

I guess I should be thankful that at least Rebecca is alive but this is such a tragic mess.

When I think about how good and realistic this show used to be and then compare that to what it is now it makes me want to cry with frustration and anger.....