Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

I've always found the first episodes a little bit stiff, and the acting a bit wobbly in places. But despite that it's miles better than what we're getting nowadays.

I think Gail Harrison as Marian Wilks is the best thing about those early episodes. She has a bit more spirit and energy than the Sugden family members. I wonder how things would have progressed if she had remained on the show. She did visit on two occasions during the seventies and I think she fit right in both times. I wasn't impressed with the recast Marian in the late 80s though. Too bad that Gail either wasn't available or interested in reprising her role.

Edited by I Am A Swede

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I haven't seen them until now and I was very impressed by the tightness of the scripts and fully realized characters. The first episode tells you all you need to know about this world, the relationships between the characters, and what's to come. Now if I could only find Episode #2...

• Members

So, it looks like the rumours about Charity having a secret son will turn out to be true.... 

Please register in order to view this content

I guess we are supposed to feel for Charity now, but all I feel is annoyance. Yet another Dingle-brat who will run around the village and take up screentime....

• Members

If the Dingles were just Charity, an evolved pansexual Debbie, a recast Noah when the time is right, and hopefully a good character in whoever this son is, I could get behind that. I share your hatred of the Dingle characters despite my affinity for some of the actors, but Charity is just too hard to let go of for me. And I find, she excels so much when she's away from the family because she's alsways been so much more than any of them.

• Members

I guess I must face the fact that the Dingles are popular. But when you hate a group of characters as much as I have come to hate them it makes it difficult to continue watching when the show just keeps on adding to  that group.

Furhermore, Charity already has three children. I realize it's not exactly the same since her child is going to be grown up, but why not give Victoria a child instead? You know, a member of the show's founding family, the daughter of Jack Sugden and the grand-daughter of Annie Sugden. The destruction the Sugden's have been subjected to makes it even more infuriating to think about the multiplying Dingles.

Peggy was killed off, just like her two children were. Honorary Sugden Matt lost two further children with Dolly. Jack's son Jackie was killed off, and Kathy lost his unborn child. Joe never even got to have biological children, and even his two step-children were killed off....

I think the only reason Andy and Robert were allowed to have children was because it involved Dingles. Andy had his children with Debbie and Robert is married to Aaron.

• Members

I have a feeling that her son is going to turn out to be the man who blackmailed/harassed Tracy, and the story will have her helping his daughter, a Liv knockoff. And it will upset Tracy, since everything has to be about her. 

Victoria having a child would be nice, but the show does nothing with Robert having a child. They just don't care about the Sugdens. They really haven't for 20 years.

• Members

He doesn’t look a few years younger than Debbie, though, does he? At first I thought it could be Gerry but he’s definitely too young. This could be a real long shot but could it actually be...Joe? Has Emmerdale done a baby switch story yet? Joe does appear to be the right age to fit the storyline. But then again Joe and Debbie have had sex so...ewww. But...I don’t know...

Edited by TimWil, One minute ago.

Edited by TimWil

• Members

Yes, they did a baby switch story with Ashley/Laurel and Greg and Melanie Doland in 2007-08.

And absolutely NO to Joe being Charity's son! That would be the last straw for me. But I don't think they would go there because as you said Joe and Debbie have had sex. Of course they would both be Dingles so...

• Members

Of course re Ashley/Laurel/Arthur. This wouldn’t quite be the same situation, though. I can see Chris Tate having bought a baby (he hadn’t even met Charity yet) after his and Rachel’s died. He passed him off as a Tate and never told anyone, especially Rachel.

As for Debbie and Joe having had sex, yeah, that would be a huge ewwww....but it wouldn’t be unprecedented. There were those two siblings on Brookside...

Edited by TimWil