Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

So what are your thoughts on where this Tom storyline will lead? Is he seeking revenge for somebody by messing with Debbie? It certainly can’t be her magic vag. If this was an American soap I guess it could be Andy with plastic surgery after winning the Euromillions jackpot in France.

Edited by TimWil

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emmerdale sparks viewer complaints after Robert Sugden's sex scam with Lawrence White

Thursday's episodes will now be assessed by the broadcasting watchdog.

Robert Sugden in bed with Lawrence White in Emmerdale
©  ITV

Emmerdale has sparked complaints to Ofcom over Robert Sugden and Lawrence White's shocking storyline twist.

Robert (Ryan Hawley) put one of his most surprising schemes yet into action last night, as he tricked Lawrence into thinking that they'd slept together.

The ruthless character played puppetmaster by plying Lawrence with alcohol, making sure he got so drunk that he passed out.

After helping to get Lawrence upstairs, Robert got undressed, climbed into bed with him and later claimed that they'd had sex.

Robert also accused Lawrence of taking advantage of him, pretending that he'd been drunk himself at the time.

Digital Spy can confirm that Ofcom has received nine complaints overnight about the scenes, which had a mixed reaction on social media last night.

The complaints came from viewers who were unhappy over the non-consensual element of the storyline, as well as the sexual nature of the scenes. However, nothing actually happened between them as Robert is scamming Lawrence.

An Ofcom spokesperson told Digital Spy: "We will assess these complaints before deciding whether or not to investigate."

Emmerdale has previously sparked Ofcom complaints this year over Aaron Dingle's prison violence storyline, Rhona Goskirk's rape ordeal, and even Emma Barton bullying little Arthur Thomas – but the show was cleared of any wrongdoing in each case.

Robert's scheming formed part of an ongoing storyline, which sees him trying to bring down the White family and seize control of Home Farm.

Viewers will see the fallout continue in tonight's episode, following Robert's ultimatum that Lawrence's daughter Rebecca should hear what supposedly happened between them. 

An Ofcom spokesperson told Digital Spy: "We will assess these complaints before deciding whether or not to investigate."

Emmerdale has previously sparked Ofcom complaints this year over Aaron Dingle's prison violence storyline, Rhona Goskirk's rape ordeal, and even Emma Barton bullying little Arthur Thomas – but the show was cleared of any wrongdoing in each case.

Robert's scheming formed part of an ongoing storyline, which sees him trying to bring down the White family and seize control of Home Farm.

Viewers will see the fallout continue in tonight's episode, following Robert's ultimatum that Lawrence's daughter Rebecca should hear what supposedly happened between them.

Emmerdale airs weeknights at 7pm on ITV, with an extra episode at 8pm on Thursdays.

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

There were scenes before this in the episode where Sam and Butch actually threw rocks at Luke until he ran off (he'd come for one last attempt to win Tina). It was just shocking to watch, and to think of what the Dingles were then to the village and how they'd become such central figures by the early '00s. 

(although they made sure to keep Tina and Zak out of the worst as I guess at this point they were already building them up...)

• Members

It was almost a waste of time if they were building up Tina since she left the show the following year and hasn't returned. (Not that I'm complaining!  

Please register in order to view this content

)

It's really a bit odd to see Butch in these early appearances and compare that to how he was just before his death. It's like he's a different character altogether. He was a really nasty character in the beginning and almost portrayed as a cuddly teddy-bear at the end. Not that it made any real difference to me. I didn't mourn his death at all. One less Dingle = happy me!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I seem to recall that he predicted it a while back, and it turned out to be true. Just like his prediction that Moira would get pregnant, leading to a who's the daddy storyline.

But frankly I don't think it's a who's the daddy storyline at all. I would be completely shocked if Cain isn't revealed as the baby's father. After all, he's a Dingle, and there can never be enough Dingles, right?