Toups

Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

TimWil   

This Eric/Faith/Rodney "triangle" is  unbearable. And so is Robert's poisoning Lawrence and then fiddling with his medical tests. Awful. Jesus, how much worse will this show get before something gets done?

Edited by TimWil

DRW50   
1 hour ago, TimWil said:

This Eric/Faith/Rodney "triangle" is  unbearable. And so is Robert's poisoning Lawrence and then fiddling with his medical tests. Awful. Jesus, how much worse will this show get before something gets done?

I don't mind the Eric/Faith/Rodney stuff.

The White stuff is poor but it has been since early 2015. Same old same old. I'd say the show will improve when they're gone but I don't really think it will, to be honest.

I'd say if you want good material try to find the earlier episodes. There are patches of decent material (I thought the Aaron and Jason stuff at the start of the week was surprisingly decent), but otherwise it's been uneven and a drag for years now.

Edited by DRW50

Does anyone know how much longer till the Whites exit? Or Emma? I feel like once all these characters exit stage left that the show will possibly retool itself and get back on track. Boggles my mind how ED went from having the best year ever to now. But then again all the UK soaps seems to be a dip as of late. None of them hold my attention.

DRW50   
Just now, Nothin'ButAttitude said:

Does anyone know how much longer till the Whites exit? Or Emma? I feel like once all these characters exit stage left that the show will possibly retool itself and get back on track. Boggles my mind how ED went from having the best year ever to now. But then again all the UK soaps seems to be a dip as of late. None of them hold my attention.

Probably somewhere in October for the Whites. Later for Emma. 

There are also rumors and speculation that

Emma will kill Finn, as someone tweeted and deleted that they were filming his funeral, and there's a new gravestone in village tours that they're keeping hidden.

5 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

Probably somewhere in October for the Whites. Later for Emma. 

There are also rumors and speculation that

Hide contents

Emma will kill Finn, as someone tweeted and deleted that they were filming his funeral, and there's a new gravestone in village tours that they're keeping hidden.

Spoiler

Are you kidding me?! Why would they kill off poor Finn? 

DRW50   

They've never really done anything with the character beyond use him as a plot device, and they seem to be phasing out most of the Bartons if this is true (I guess Ross would mostly stand alone unless Mike Parr wants to leave...not sure what they'd do with Pete as he's just a piece of meat anyway). The guy who runs ITV recently said he felt there were "enough" lgbt people on TV so I have to wonder if he is a reaso nwhy Emmerdale is cleaning house.

30 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

Hide contents

They've never really done anything with the character beyond use him as a plot device, and they seem to be phasing out most of the Bartons if this is true (I guess Ross would mostly stand alone unless Mike Parr wants to leave...not sure what they'd do with Pete as he's just a piece of meat anyway). The guy who runs ITV recently said he felt there were "enough" lgbt people on TV so I have to wonder if he is a reaso nwhy Emmerdale is cleaning house.

Spoiler

The guy who runs ITV is clearly a moron as there can never be enough LGBTQ representation on the show. Robert and Aaron aren't enough if you ask me. I hate that Finn was always used as a plot device as I preferred him more than Aaron at times. I've always felt that they should've even tested Robert/Finn. I really don't see the Bartons lasting lost within the next year. I see them phasing out Ross and Pete too. Moira will only remain b/c of her ties to Cain, and she'll be made an honorary Dingle and probably forget about her ties to the Bartons. Sad b/c the Bartons truly were one of the last new families to pop up on this show. 

DRW50   

It sucks. The worst part is how the show ruined the Bartons as a family with the Debbie/Ross affair. They've never been the same. Still, I think it's a mistake to get rid of Finn. With Adam going, that means unless Hannah ever returns it will just be Moira, since I can't see Ross and Pete staying around long either. Why would they?

Other than the Dingles the show has so little family atmosphere at this point. I at least wish they'd have Leyla with Jacob more often. 

7 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

Hide contents

It sucks. The worst part is how the show ruined the Bartons as a family with the Debbie/Ross affair. They've never been the same. Still, I think it's a mistake to get rid of Finn. With Adam going, that means unless Hannah ever returns it will just be Moira, since I can't see Ross and Pete staying around long either. Why would they?

Other than the Dingles the show has so little family atmosphere at this point. I at least wish they'd have Leyla with Jacob more often. 

Spoiler

I don't see them bringing back Hannah soon either. She doesn't even get mentioned. She's like the forgotten Barton. 

I truly don't see Michael Parr sticking around much longer. I get this feeling in my gut he's gonna try his hand at something else. Preferably, Hollywood. I see them letting Anthony Quinlan go b/c like Finn, they refuse to invest in him. I wouldn't be surprised if he went back to Hollyoaks come next year. 

When it comes to Leyla/Jacob, I don't see them giving them anymore material than they are already getting. They are another group that this new regime doesn't even try with. Sad that the Dingles eat up this show when all the other families are fragmented. Especially, the Sugdens. 

Oh, dear God no to the above conversation. I don't even want to think that they would go there. That would be too awful. It's clear that the show is going through a rough patch right now. But then again, when I really think about it it hasn't been good for a very long time. The Ashley story was the exception, and because it was so good and especially John and Charlotte gave such phenomenal performances I at least tended to overlook the multiple flaws that the show had. But with that story over, and with Gillian Kearney leaving, the sad state of the rest of the show has become glaringly obvious.

This show is so horrible right now that I'm going to take a break from it, for my own sanity's sake. I love Charlotte (Bellamy) but she's not enough to make my put myself through watching.

DRW50   
11 hours ago, TimWil said:

The Friday cliffhanger was that "comical" bit of Kerry locking out Dan to show him what being homeless is like. Ghastly.

The odd part of that was I think he has been homeless...

I do like Dan and Kerry so I'm glad when the show tries to write for them. Unfortunately the writing is rarely good...

Edited by DRW50

6 hours ago, I Am A Swede said:

This show is so horrible right now that I'm going to take a break from it, for my own sanity's sake. I love Charlotte (Bellamy) but she's not enough to make my put myself through watching.

^

This.

The show just seems off since John Middleton left. Never realized it till Ashley was killed off that he was truly the heart of the show since Jack Sugden died.