Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I can definitely see that. I don't think they'd ever write him out, unless he decides to leave, which is very likely.

In any case, unless they kill him off in too permanent a way, he will always be able to come back.

Edited by YRBB

• Members

Eeeh. Never writing him out was perhaps an exaggeration, but he's good looking, straight, male, and a character that can create problems and drama. He also fits the bad boy gone good-ish soap trope. Why would they throw that away? (Although soaps have done worse, of course). His chances of sticking around are not bad, at least.

Wasn't that just a fake-out for a few episodes?  

• Members

I was under the impression that the show was entertaining writing him out, and switched things at the 11th hour. The fact that Ross hasn't really had anything to do until Debbie returned somewhat raised my suspicions too. The issue with Ross is that they only give him story when Debbie is on the canvas. He's only relevant to the writers when he's in Debbie's orbit, and I hate that. I feel that Ross could be so much more out of Debbie's orbit.

• Members

I'm glad you're enjoying them. I know you love that era so the few I had I was hoping that some fans might like to see, especially when the current show is much more plot-heavy and aimless. I miss the Sugden days and I especially miss Annie and Henry. 

Here is the channel if anyone wants to watch while it's still around.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgAVKUVM9JGRF927bhkJSbQ

• Members

I do love that era (late 1970s) most, but I really love all things Emmerdale pre-plane crash.

Katharine Barker's Dolly is my all-time favourite Emmerdale character, but all the characters were written so well back then. I have developed a special fondness for Sam Pearson as well. Such a marvelous performance by Toke Townley.

Jackie Merrick is also a character that has grown on me. It's such a realistic portrayal of a young man trying to find his place in the world. Watching his wedding to Kathy was both wonderful and bittersweet because you knew that he would be dead a year and a half later. I loved him and Kathy together and can't help but wonder how things would have turned out if he hadn't died. He and Kathy were so much more suited for each other than Kathy and Chris.

Not everything was perfect back then of course. I do find the comedy scenes with Seth winding up Alan and/or Amos a bit annoying sometimes. But Seth worked great as a mentor of sorts for Jackie.

Please register in order to view this content

Love Deena! Still miss Viv!

And she's so damn right! Viv (and Deena) deserved so much more than she got! Not even a funeral. It was a total disgrace!  

• Members

I know what you mean. I still think they should have tried to bring Matt back a few times (for Dolly's exit, or Joe or Jack passying away) but maybe the actor wouldn't have been interested anyway. 

I never even knew Matt had scenes with any Tate. A passing of the torch, I suppose. Sad when he said the Sugdens wouldn't even miss him.

His goodbye with Annie broke my heart a bit.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Thank you! It's the first time (that I remember) seeing Debbi Blythe as Marian. I have to say that I prefer Gail Harrison.  

Please register in order to view this content

These 1988 episodes must also be after Dolly's affair with Stephen Fuller. Even though I do love Matt, I can see how she would be tempted, and they did lay the groundwork for a story like that for a long time. He was content staying at Emmerdale for ever, and she wanted a place of her own. Even though she had been gone for a long time by 1988 I can see how maybe the shadow of Peggy also played a part. It can't have been easy for Dolly living with the family of Matt's former wife.