Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Great!   

Please register in order to view this content

I watched the episodes with Henry's death recently, and finally got an answer to why Marian didn't come to his funeral. Jack said that he hadn't been able to get in contact with her since she was on safari somewhere in Africa. It was just a throwaway line, which is probably why I didn't remember it. But it was a relief to finally have an answer, because it just struck me as very odd that she didn't attend her own father's funeral. It was flimsy excuse by the show of course just so they wouldn't have to cast a Marian (if neither Gail Harrison nor Debbi Blythe was able/willing to do it) but at least it was explained.

• Members

Loved the episode posted above, with one exception.... The Dingles! This story, with Tina getting revenge on Luke McAllister for her brother's death, was the beginning of my hatred for the family. I hated it back then, and I still hate it now. Tina got better when this dreadful story was over and she started working for Frank Tate instead, but the rest of this obnoxious family stayed the same and has been polluting the show ever since. God how I hate that entire clan!  

• Members

I saw someone saying they wanted the entire family (bar I think Charity) written out, and I thought to myself you'd probably be happy to know them.

I'm putting up the next episode after this one and then later am going to put up a few 1991 episodes someone asked for. 

I just wish I had more '80s stuff...

• Members

It would be like winning the lottery for me if someone would make the decision to eliminate that family from the show. All of them though, I don't want a single one of them left.

I don't care that they've been around for so long now. If long-term characters like Dolly, Kathy, Viv and Terry could be dismissed the way they were there's no reason why the Dingles should be safe.

I realize though that it will never happen. For some reason a lot of people seem to like them.

I'm so looking forward to more 1991 episodes. After all, it's pre-Dingle!   

Edited by I Am A Swede

• Members

I've said before I'm right there with you about the Dingles, and I do like some of them. In fact, Charity is one of the best all time characters from the show, but even she is played out now. The only Dingle that still seems relevant to me in anyway is Cain thanks to his relationship with Moira, so he'd probably be the last one standing when I finished getting rid.

• Members

I think Charity still works well enough - they just overdid it with that Declan mess and then having her obsessed with Cain.

The main Dingles I would probably write out unless things improve for them are Chas and Aaron. I'd also write out Zak, but the show has so few longstanding cast members...

• Members

I loved the Declan story, but ever since she returned under MacLeod she's been haemorrhaging. Her affair with Frank, a pairing that could work, is so boring and lifeless because Megan is involved. With both being con artists, they could have done a will they/won't they/can they trust each other? without another boring affair to deal with.

And someone should be using Charity's carelessness with the Pub as a way to steal it out from under her and Chas.At least then there would be a point to her being locked in there. Like Debbie, she needs a true friend. And like has been hinted at, a type of mentor role to someone new. I don't count Belle because that's family so the dynamic isn't that nuanced, plus Belle is nothing like her. I also despised the way the show had Charity panting after Matt. It was so beneath her.

Edited by Bright Eyes

• Members

The main issues I've had with Charity since her return have been when Chas was so awful to her and when she was desperate for Cain, although the latter started when she was in prison (and that was also when they had the stupid story where she had a baby with Ross). The stuff with Frank is disappointing because it was all rushed and then dropped for months. It's going to pick up again soon, but dropping it for a long as they did means it's going to be difficult to care. The pacing is one of the biggest issues I have with the show (along with poorly explained motivations and characters changing personality - eg, Priya/Pete, anything with Rebecca).

I actually like the Belle and Charity relationship, but I would like to see more for her. 

I wish they'd have Chas sell up and someone else run it with Charity. I've never liked Chas as owner.

• Members

Even though I would usually agree that a show needs long-running characters as a way of connecting it with its history, I'm willing to make an exception for the Dingles.... 

Instead I would consider bringing back some names from the past and then add some new characters to breathe new life into the show.

I've mentioned several times that Sam Skilbeck would be my first choice to bring back to bolster the dwindling Sugden legacy. Home Farm should again be the seat of the Verney family, bringing old money back to the village, instead of the newly rich families that have owned it since the Tates.

Maybe Joseph Tate could return to visit his parents graves and then hang around, at least for a while. With Leah Bracknell's health issues Zoe could most likely not return, but at least she could be mentioned.

And I would also dearly love it if Sandie Merrick would reach out and get in touch with her half-brother Robert, and thereby bring her own family into the fabric of the show.

I realize that a lot of current viewers wouldn't know who many of these people are, and many others wouldn't care about their history with the show and would rather keep the Dingles, but this is my personal wish list.

• Members

I would have Sam buy Butler's Farm from Moira. I'd have him with a black wife and they'd have a few kids, to add to the show's diversity and establish the Sugden extended family for a new era. I'd also bring in a long lost son of Jack's. 

Given how reality doesn't matter in Emmerdale now I'd be tempted to bring Joe back from the dead if Frazer's health is up to it. 

Anyway, here's Arthur Pentelow's last appearance as Henry. Henry was such a special character (I loved his relationship with Annie - to me they were soulmates) - I'm sorry he seems to be so forgotten today, as is everyone of that era, really.