Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

Oh so this was after that Mowlam guy pushed her into a miscarriage? 

I saved the clips of the brawl between Matt and Mowlam (on a disc somewhere). I'm not sure if you saw them. Pretty rough stuff compared to most soaps now. 

Jean Rogers did seem to play a more subdued Dolly. In a way I'm surprised she lasted as long as she did as she never seemed to be a main player during her time  in the role. It's too bad that just as she was getting some backbone, standing up to the Tates, it was for Dolly's exit. They should have had her come back to help when Frank was taking away the Sugden farm.

Edited by DRW50

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I feel that both Matt and Dolly were somewhat pushed slightly into the background during the 1980s. They were the solid couple providing the show with some stability to the turmoil surrounding them. In a way that was always Matt's role. He was the solid, almost stoic, rock that everyone else could depend upon. Even when he had major stories, and he did, things always happened to him, he was himself never the catalyst for these stories.

That's why I feel that they should have kept Dolly more like she was when Katharine played her. She had more fire and was a bit more pro-active than she became. It's hard though to know how much of that was down to the writing and how much was down to the way Jean played her.

• Members

What was with the excessive make up on Jonathan Wrather (Pierce) in tonight's episode? It was distracting. He's a fine specimen of a man, I don't think he needed a truckload of rouge to look good for the wedding episode.

Does anybody else think it might turn out that Pierce had raped Tess on their wedding night, too? That could have been what Pierce's mother was referring to?

Edited by TimWil

• Members

Harriet seems to be a case of the perfect supporting character that just doesn't work in bigger stories. I liked her with Ashley, but with Cain something's off.
This Megan/Jay/Nell/Frank custody arc is obvious filler and I think it's bringing the show down. I do like Megan but I have yet to see a purpose to that character. She could have been gone years ago nothing would have been affected. Her with Sam would work better.
Props to Ross for being "shot" and keeping a silent mouth, no screams, no pain or shock!

• Members

Harriet and Cain as a couple doesn't work on any level whatsoever. Have they even shared a scene before all this started? Nothing about this story makes any sense at all, and I don't see what the point of the story is. It feels like they just put those two together to give them some kind of story regardless of how illogical it is.

• Members

They hadn't, no.

It's all very plotty but I do enjoy the opposites attract idea, and getting to see more of this side of Harriet. It would work better if they reminded viewers of Cain's past with lady cops though.

• Members

I don't mind Harriet and Cain either. It comes off as a short term thing, so I'm going along for the ride. I do think it would be a lot less predictable if Cain found himself wanting to better himself instead of Harriet being with Cain because he's "bad."

Megan definitely needs to go. Except for the Declan abuse/Robbie's death story, she's been useless.