Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Compared to previous years they don't really bring in that many Dingles now, it's just more the ones they brought in mostly stay around. But I think the balance is a lot better than it was a few years ago.

I still wish they'd bring in more Sugdens. 

@I Am A Swede I think that is actually probably too late for you as the Dingles are already around (Tina, anyway) but I got some early 1995 episodes if you ever want me to put them on Youtube. 

I realized I never put my thoughts on the funeral. I would have wanted more people there and a few returning characters, but I was more moved than I'd expected to be, as I thought I'd already got all my sadness out. The little bits like Arthur struggling to read his poem were heartbreaking, and that whole ten minute scene with Laurel and Ashley at the television screen reminded me so much of how soaps (American soaps anyway) used to be, about 30 or 40 years ago. It was a beautiful goodbye for John and Charlotte as partners. I liked some of the moments Harriet had in church as well.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

You can never have enough older episodes of Emmerdale available, so do put them on Youtube if you can. The Dingles weren't as dominating back then as they have become since, and Tina is a perfect example of a good Dingle. She left and hasn't returned!  

Please register in order to view this content

I'm sorry if I sound like a real grinch with all my moaning about the Dingles and about how everything was better way back then.... I'll try to keep it a bit more to myself in the future.  

I had a thought, which is really far-fetched and improbable, but since the Dingles have supposedly lived in the area for years and years, I think it could have been a good idea for the show to tie them, however loosely, to a family that had already made an appearance on the show. It's not like they didn't have plenty to choose from. A lot of families appeared very briefly during the years. The Gimble family, the Hotson family, the Tolly family, the Longthorn family, the Fletcher family, the Middleton family..... the possibilities are endless.

It wouldn't have made a difference to newer viewers, but I don't think it would have bothered them either, and it might have mattered, even just a little, to more longtime viewers, or even to newer viewers who are interested in the show's history.

And it might have made the Dingles a little more tolerable to people like me....  

Edited by I Am A Swede

• Members

Please don't feel you need to keep quiet. I don't think you'll find much disagreement here. 

I think that's a great idea. 

I always thought the show should have tied the Bartons to the Barton family that was mentioned years ago.

• Members

I hope Rebecca keeps her baby. It would be a welcome addition to the ever-shrinking Sugden family tree, and maybe it could also release Robert from his unfortunate Dingle-association. 

It's time for the Sugden's to start procreating, and not just die or leave all the time.

• Members

This raunchy book comedy plot is so depressing to me. I desperately need more for David and Leyla, who looks fantastic (no surprise) with her new sheek cut. Or is it not new and all and I feel like I haven't seen her in forever?

During the Adam / Victoria scenes, my heart was screaming for the return of Daz. Would be perfectly happy if he returned and got her up the duff. I also wish they'd include Robert more in Victoria's life.

Louise Marwood seems to have lost some weight. I guess no story has done her body good; not that she really needed to in the first place.

On a positive note, I am really entrenched in the Rhona plot. I'm a big Vanessa fan, so seeing her getting something to do again has been a treat.

• Members

@Bright Eyes I need more David & Leyla too. I thought that pairing Leyla with Pete would've brought about some juicy stories, but apparently not. And David has been a dullard (beside his cancer arc) since he's been paired with Tracey. 

I'm surprised they've never brought back Daz either to come scoop up Victoria. It would be nice to see him and Adam feud over Victoria. I just need Victoria knocked up this year, so the Sudgen clan is being rebuilt and replenished. 

• Members

David and Alicia were a great pairing but otherwise he's about the same to me. He just needs more people to bounce off of. 

Pete and Leyla seem to be a default pairing, sadly, and not surprisingly. I wish they'd do something with her. I guess when Moira learns she is pregnant (I still assume this will happen) that will lead to something. 

I think Luke Tittensor's legal problems cast a cloud over the character. 

• Members

Well they can recast Daz at this point if they don't wanna bring Luke back. 

I'm hoping Leyla will be involved the pregnancy arc too, but not if they have her going mad over it. I love Leyla and Moira. I don't need them destroyed b/c of their ties to Pete. 

Maybe David needs friends. There has been that void of friendship since Nikhil left. Maybe they need to build a friendship between him and Jai. It would make sense. 

• Members

I do enjoy it, very much. 

It's amazing how much better the show was back then, at least in my opinion. And all those saying that nothing happened on the show before the 1990s should take another look. Sure, there were no explosions or stuff like that, but things happened nonetheless. I also find it so refreshing to see a criminal (Harry Mowlam) portrayed as a criminal, and not like some hero.... (looking at you, Cain Dingle!)

I love the contrast in this episode between Pat realizing that she's pregnant (with Robert) and Dolly mourning another miscarriage. (No offense to Jean Rogers who's wonderful, but oh, how I would have liked to see Katharine Barker play out these scenes. I've always felt that she played Dolly with a little more fire than Jean did)