Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

Yes, I've watched it, and it was difficult to watch, but at the same time it was bloody brilliant. It was the best episode of Emmerdale in years. 

Seeing the old familiar sights again, however brief, also made me realize how much the move to a village set has changed the tone of the show. I understand that it is much easier, and probably cheaper, to film on a secluded set, but the authenticity that filming in a real village brought is lost.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Just had to add that John Middleton was absolutely fantastic during the whole episode! His departure will leave a huge hole!

And I think that they did a great job with the actors portraying Laurel, Aaron, Chas and Doug. They resembled Charlotte, Danny, Lucy and Duncan just enough to be easily identifiable, but at the same time they were different enough to make Ashley's confusion believable.

• Members

I agree, although I'm glad they didn't overdo Ashley's recovery on Christmas. I do wish we'd seen more, especially more of the family's struggles. We got a bit with Gabby, and it was heartwarming, but I wanted more.

I thought it was a little flat but I was glad to get a break from "drama" on Christmas. It reminded me a lot more of the pre-Gavin Blyth Christmas episodes. The Dingles were also pre-Blyth, in that they were allowed to be more fun and less miserable all the time. 

I know some were upset about the snow and they're so tired of snow in Christmas episodes, and so on, but it didn't bother me (and some of it actually was real snow). I enjoyed seeing the various families. I could have done without the montage (although it was poignant to hear "Last Christmas"). 

Denise Black really is such a wonderful actress - she has made so much of this twaddle with Zak much more than it would have been otherwise. I'm glad the show let her have some dignity in realizing Zak doesn't love her and that she made the decision. 

Zak is just an idiot and it's difficult to care about him at this point, outside of residual fondness. Steve Halliwell also seems fed up with the character:

http://metro.co.uk/2016/12/25/emmerdale-spoilers-star-reveals-the-end-of-zak-and-joanie-and-his-sadness-at-his-characters-direction-6323699/

• Members

I'm sick of Kerry. Why did Rishi and Jai pay this idiot a settlement w/o having her go get medically checked out? So stupid... I haven't wanted a character to be killed off this badly in awhile. Kerry is becoming it...

Nicola & Jimmy reconciling was the highlight of my night though. I am glad that this little tiff between the two of them is long and over. 

• Members

Today I think we all wish Happy Birthday to an Emmerdale Farm legend....

Frederick Pyne, who played Matt Skilbeck for 1364 episodes between October 16th 1972 and December 7th 1989, turns 80 years old today!  

Please register in order to view this content

I think it's quite logical that he left shortly after the show dropped the "Farm" and became simply "Emmerdale", because if anybody embodies the Emmerdale Farm era, it's Matt Skilbeck.

• Members

Very classy tribute. I still wish Matt, Dolly, Sam, and maybe some kids for Sam could return and take over Butler's. Dolly and Matt just for visits, of course, but Sam and the kids in regular roles. I know it won't happen - I doubt anyone at the show aside from Chris Chittell even remembers Matt or Dolly - but I can wish. Maybe it's best left to the past though, as I don't think I could think Matt being roughed up by Ross Barton.

Frederick was such an underrated actor - he always played Matt with such softness, such a kind, sarcastic smile, yet with a tough core underneath. He was probably my favorite character of that era. I just wish more of it was available. 

• Members

Matt really was a special character. You rarely see someone like him today. Most people would probably consider him boring, but he was one of those essential characters that grounds a show.

I loved him and Dolly as a couple, and it's sad that their marriage fell apart. Frederick's Matt worked so well with both Katharine Barker's and Jean Rogers' Dolly.

It would be lovely to have them both back, even for a visit, but at the same time maybe it's best that they stay away so that their memories can remain intact.

• Members

I'm sorry but I don't pity Finn at all. I'm with Kasim in that he is too damn smothering and moving too fast. Finn was only asking for heartbreak. Someone should've told Finn to slow down. 

How they wrote Joanie off (for the time being) is stupid. IMO, she should've simply been killed off. Give Cain his son and move on. Sending her to prison for accidentally hitting a cop is so damn stupid.

I can't believe that Zak was trying to subtly hint he wanted to sleepover. So glad Lisa paid him dust and sent his ass back to the caravan. 

• Members

They haven't done enough to show that Finn was likely pushing so much because he's never grieved for his father. Kasim said it today but it hasn't been mentioned until now so it seems random. I do feel a bit sorry for Finn because he's always so desperate. I hope he can work it out. Partly because I'm so tired of some of the "Robron" fans getting so defensive and angry about this pairing and about Finn and acting like it's a calculated attempt to push their favorites out of the show. 

I'm not sure where they're going with Joanie. She can't stay in prison forever. Will she come out and leave Kyle with Cain or Kerry? Will she come out and they'll let her have Kyle again and she'll leave? Is she not actually leaving? It's such a bizarre storyline. I thought Denise Black did a great job today, but the story is random and just strange. And Kerry looks awful not being more guilty about her role in this. 

I do like the current Barton grouping, with Kasim (until now anyway) and Leyla both skeptical and on the sidelines, while Emma tries to meddle and meddle and it just hurts her and everyone else. Pete being the hot but dumb son. Finn being Emma 2.0. Ross just wanting to have some fun. 

Iain Macleod talks 2017 stories.

• Members

@DRW50, why would RobRon fans be threatened by Kasim/Finn? If anything, they should encourage it b/c it opens more possibilities for their faves in the futures. While I love RobRon, their fans are f-cking psychos. It is a soap. Nothing is forever. 

Now that you brought it up, I do see glimpses of Emma in Finn. He is so desperate to hold onto something that isn't there and force something like his mother. I just hope this does not go badly like all of Emma's schemes have. 

Onto the video...

Why must Debbie come back? Why? I could've done w/o that bitch ever returning. I can't stand her. Ugh! 

I am glad that McLeod is a Cain/Moira fan. I hope they get back together but I'm OK if they don't. I just don't want Cain with Charity ever again. That horse is dead. I'm wondering who Cain might be paired with. Part of me thinks that it might be Chrissie or Rebecca. Or even Kerry. 

So I guess we can expect Lisa to take Zak back some time next year. Oh joy. 

• Members

Generally the idea from some of them is that the show is trying to force a new popular m/m couple to steal the limelight from Robron, and then they will have no use for them. Some of them also believe the show is desperately trying to make Finn a huge fan favorite so that he can show up Robron (never mind that he was offcamera for about 70% of the year until October). It's just sad. Then again some of these fans also got upset when Chrissie/Andy and Rhona/Pierce said "I love you" before Robron did, that Pierce had a therapy session and Aaron did not - on and on and on. 

I have to admit I'm sort of looking forward to Debbie returning (Charity isn't the same without her IMO) but not if she is back with Ross. I can't take that again. Ross is a lot better now. 

I don't want Cain with Charity either. I still think they must have had some plans to stretch out her being missing after the car went off the cliff, because that story ended so abruptly. I don't think they have any idea what to do with Charity. I know some want her to scheme for Home Farm - I'm so tired of that story for her. I wish they could put her back with Jai but they ruined that relationship. 

I've heard some others say Cain/Chrissie too. I guess that would explain why she bought part of the garage. Kerry would be such a trainwreck with Cain but now I wonder 

• Members

I do so wish that Debbie wasn't returning. But I guess it's inevitable.... 

As for Charity, I'm sure people won't agree with me, but I wouldn't grieve at all if they wrote her out. She's been so prominent over the years and done so much that there's really not all that much left for her to do. It won't happen of course, but one can dream, right?  

• Members

I know that it was done to show how much Joanie felt like an outsider, but my God the Dingles were obnoxious on Christmas Day. When the whole lot of them are shown en masse I find it really hard to deal with. At least Lisa kept her dignity when Zak slithered back - but it sounds like that may be short-lived. 

Am also enjoying the dynamic of Emma loathing Leyla while fawning over Kasim, hope that he will reunite with poor Finn - loved that he got the new year cliffhanger.