EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

There's little doubt I imagine that the Max/Stacey thing was rushed in time for Christmas Day, and it's a shame there was no build up. I agree that it makes sense Stacey would be bored, and I don't find it difficult to believe that she could be tempted by Max but the story could do with being a lot less blatant and written with more subtlety. Perhaps it would have been more interesting if it was just a kiss, initiated by Max, and Stacey hesitated for a moment. Stacey still could have said that she felt tempted and likes the idea of feeling free but wouldn't risk her marriage to Martin. We then could have done without the theatrics over the next few months between Martin and Stacey before they inevitably get back together, they could have played on the Max/Stacey connection and still have had Tanya jumping to conclusions about them. I do think Max and Stacey have undeniable chemistry but unless they're going to go the whole hog and let them have a relationship together I don't see the point narratively of them sleeping together other than for cheap thrills. I did like Max telling Tanya that Stacey was the love of his life which I could believe, but the writing decisions always seem so short-sighted. Until now I've expected Max to be written out as they've exhausted him so much and I don't see any way they can keep him on the show, do you think they honestly feel differently? It would be a mistake IMO to keep Max around now, especially as

Please register in order to view this content

I do wish everyone involved in Max being sent to prison showed some remorse because as it stands Max is being painted as the one in the wrong and evil and while of course his actions are deplorable, Ian, Phil and everyone else involved need to be held accountable for their actions too and this needs to be shown on screen in order for those characters to feel less damaged. I get the impression this is what SOC was aiming for but JY's interpretation hasn't seemed to include this; no idea whether the way it's coming across was always intended to be this way but I always viewed SOC's vision of Max's revision as a way to reverse some of the damage done to so many characters as a result of the Lucy storyline.

I do get the impression I'll be taking a break from the show soon. I did enjoy the Christmas episodes despite the flaws, but if I carry on watching once the casting changes take place it will be out of curiosity to see how crap it can get.

Edited by Edward Skylover

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Patsy seems genuinely happy to not be acting or playing Bianca anymore. She seems to have settled well into her new career and life in Malibu, I don't think we'll ever see Bianca again (which is probably for the best, given her last few years on the show).

I do wish they weren't bringing Tiffany back though - what's the use? Whitney is not a strong enough connection, and I don't see the point with Bianca, Ricky, Carol, Pat, or even Janine not currently on the show. i kind of don't want to see any of the Butcher's back unless it's Janine (who I don't think should come back to the show in its current state, though I thought John Yorke did a good job of developing her during his early 00's stint).

• Members

I know some fans think this will lead to a Ricky or Liam return down the line. 

I think Ricky works as a supporting character, but I don't really care about most of the Butchers. I love Janine but I never want them to ruin her. Pat is gone. 

I think bringing in Diane and her family could work though. 

• Members

I took a break from August to Christmas because I couldn't bear the show which is how I have been feeling about Emmerdale for some weeks now. I wonder if there might be some twist re: Abi. Like Willmot-Brown paying off the doctors against Max? Too DAYS-ish but I wonder if it's really it for her. I usually find the dodgy all-male businesses dull and boring but while I don't care about "Aidan" I love Bridget Kiely from Red Rock being on for a while even though she's basically playing the same as on RR. She fits right in.
Mick and Linda only become more and more insufferable it seems. The show needs to lose them if it really wants an overhaul, though I can already see Danny Dyer badmouthing the show forever if he gets fired. Carmel is another one of the recent creations I used to like but too much of her and her shrill attitude did her in.

• Members

I noticed there was a scene in the Vic this past week with Fake Les and Patrick playing chess. I guess by the summer we’ll know if it’s Keegan or Bernadette who turns out to be something of a prodigy via the chess book Fake Pam gave them at Christmas. It would be interesting to watch Keegan struggle with the knowledge he’s really good at something he considers “uncool.” 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

January 2018 Episode Rankings
A total of 17 episodes aired this month.

1. Linda Henry (Shirley Carter) : 15

2. Clair Norris (Bernadette Taylor) : 14

3. Tony Clay (Callum « Halfway » Highway) : 13

*. Shona McCarty (Whitney Carter) : 13

5. Kelli Bright (Linda Carter) : 12

*. James Bye (Martin Fowler) : 12

*. Nitin Ganatra (Masood Ahmed) : 12

8. Lorraine Stanley (Karen Taylor) : 11

*. Scott Maslen (Jack Branning) : 11

*. Madhav Sharma (Arshad Ahmed) : 11

11. Jamie Borthwick (Jay Brown) : 10

*. Indira Joshi (Miriam Ahmed) : 10