EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I thought it was stupid and cheap thrills too. It was like they were trying to do Bradley's death all over again; however, Max will be blamed and people will say he pushed the 2 women off. 

I just find it stupid that a little blow of wind took them off the building. I laughed if anything b/c it was absurd. I don't like the direction they've taken Max this past year. I don't see Jake Wood lasting much longer on this show, sadly. 

After R&R went out as a duo last year around this time, I found it stupid EE would do the same sh-t yet again a year later. Just shows that this show is running low on fumes and its end might be near. 

• Members

The show feels very soul-less, repetitive and regressive. I don't know what to say about this Branning/Stacey nonsense, other than I feel these characters are damaged and should be written out for good at this point. The show needs some type of massive overhaul and focus. 

Also, Yorke is brining back Mel and Kat? Is he trying to re-create his 2000-2002 era? While that era will always be close to my heart, it does remind that that sometimes you just can't relive the past - maybe EE should stop trying to run back to Yorke whenever there's a big crisis (like 2005 and now). I had no desire to ever see Mel again when she left, and I don't look forward to hearing about some revenge storyline against Phil (which is sure to happen) upon her return. Kat was Yorke's crown jewel and his creation, so I'm hopeful he probably won't screw her up again (he was responsible for a lot of her 2005 character development as well), but we'll see. 

Also, the show doesn't have the same caliber of actors and writers it had in the early 00's to carry out the same type of storytelling....

• Members

I tend to do most of my ranting over at Walford Web, but I agree. What surprises me is how slipshod the show still feels. I had no expectations for Yorke because I was not a big fan of his era and the show backstage has changed too much, but I thought the show would at least be more cohesive. Maybe it will once more of his own stories kick in, but at present is a mess. They did nothing to establish Stacey cheating on Martin - she suddenly just seemed disgusted by him and dropped her drawers. Then we hear that she just wants to feel free, which I could believe, but the show did nothing to build it up. The writing for Max is also baffling, as I get the feeling they'd rather be rid of him, but know they can't afford to lose him given how lousy the men are on there these days (Ian and Phil alone are totally unwatchable).

And the show is lacking any sense of community or heart, as was glaringly apparent over the Christmas season. When Robbie and Donna are your most heartwarming element, something has gone wrong. I was thrown by just how nasty and unlikeable so many of the aftermath scenes were - how petty and how incredibly stupid and small Sharon and Billy looked.

So many characters feel so small now, and so inconsistent. And on top of that, many have been, as mentioned, blatantly regressed. 

Eastenders is always trying to relieve and cannibalize its past. Nothing is left.