EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That story plus the bizarre focus on the increasingly-annoying teens - and basically nothing else going anywhere serious at the moment - has driven me away out of boredom for a bit. I guess I'll check in soon. Maybe.

All that exceptional production value promo-wise for something so foul. I don't mind the actors. It would be one thing if it was a story where Michelle became involved with a cute younger man (a university student, someone of age) upon arriving in town, like Douglas Sirk's All That Heaven Allows. That I could get behind. But she was still never the type to be a middle-class prude. I blame the writing for the characters and the choice of story.

Edited by Vee

• Members

The story would be boring if she just fell for a younger man.

I guess him being underage is the point, and what makes it interesting, as it's controversial which a generic younger man story wouldn't be. I can't wait to see the fallout from it. The actors have done really well with the storyline.

Personally I don't understand why there is so much opposition to it, I think people take it too seriously perhaps.

• Members

It would be one thing if it was just a younger man, even one who is 17/underage in America. For me the bigger issue is how it and Michelle have been played: As a desperate, slightly weird/creepy middle-aged frustrated hausfrau who everyone calls stuck-up. It's just not the Michelle I remember in any way, except for her occasional scene with the family talking about the good old days or dispensing some home truths. And even then she is very placid. The character as written and performed is literally the classic stereotype we have in America of desperate, unhinged lonely women who seduce young boys in school, or marry convicts in prison.

If Michelle had come in blunt, tough and told Sharon the truth without doing some sort of sub-Tennessee Williams monologue about cellulite and so forth - said she screwed up and slept with a student who'd made the first move, that it was good and that she knew it was wrong - that would be a horse of a slightly different color for me.

Edited by Vee

• Members

she didn't. if she hurt someone she honestly didn't care.....and would cuss out Den, Sharon, Arthur....anyone who pissed her off. it may be the casting choice as to why they are writing her like that. ST said she would never come back...the writing coupled with ehr movie behind the camera could be the reasons why IMO.