Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Members

I always expect the episodes to be butchered but each one is getting a 35 minute slot which, to me, suggests they won't need to cut for ads as they would with a standard 30 minute slot. I think generally ITV3 only edits if the material is unsuitable for daytime but I could be entirely wrong.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Am so excited about this - I was 10 in 1986 and was gripped by the Rita/Alan Bradley storyline so it will be good to see it again. I do recall it being a slow burn story, and how shocking it was when Alan posed as Len Fairclough in order to get a mortgage or something. 

And YES to seeing Ivy in action again!

Am I reading too much into it, or could they be launching these repeats with a Rita-heavy era to coincide with her possibly leaving the show?

Phelan2.jpg

TV

Coronation Street teases FIVE characters as Phelan's next murder victim

An explosive autumn trailer has suggested he just might have murder in 

Coronation Street has got us all excited for the autumn months by dropping a huge new trailer today, full of spoilers, plots and clips that we just can't stop watching.

And it looks like the Phelan storyline is set to be every bit as gripping as they promised it would be when the list of his enemies just grows and grows and things start to come to a head with the builder arming himself with a gun.

But who will he shoot?

It all begins with his feud with Anna Windass reigniting.

Corrie-Anna.jpg

Anna and Phelan are sworn enemies (Credit: ITV/Twitter)

Read more: Coronation Street set to divide viewers with most controversial plan yet  

Anna's trying to help Seb Franklin after finding out about his home life, but when Seb tells her to stay out of it, she slaps him.

Seb's then seen falling off a ladder and as he lies unconscious in hospital, Phelan hangs over him saying: "She pushed you off that ladder. Anna Windass wants you dead."

Phlean-Seb.jpg

Phelan wants to plant false thoughts into Seb's head (Credit: ITV/Twitter)

Hang on, we didn't see anyone push him, so it looks like Pat's decided it's time to get rid of Anna by stepping up his vendetta against him.

b5934214-c54f-4465-ba1f-d52075bd7875.jpg

Ads by Revcontent
adchoices_icon.png

His next enemy seems to be Daniel Barlow - why, we have no idea - but the bullying baldy says to Ken's son: "You continue to poke your nose into my business, I will hurt you."

Phelan-Daniel.jpg

Phelan vs Daniel - who will win? (Credit: ITV/Twitter)

Given that Daniel pushed his own dad down the stairs, is Phelan messing with the wrong bloke this time?

Next up is Andy Carver. We already know that Andy isn't keen on Pat, given the latter has been holding him hostage in a dingy basement for nine months. But he has a proposal for his captor telling him he'd get his "guaranteed silence forever and I get my life back."

Andy-Corrie.jpg

Is Andy finally going to escape - or die? (Credit: ITV/Twitter)

We're back to Anna then who has had enough of her tormentor and runs at him with a hammer.

"You can go to hell," she tells him.

"After you," he replies.

Phelan-Anna-1.jpg

Anna hates him with a passion (Credit: ITV/Twitter)

As if that's not enough of a roll call of names, he then turns his attentions to Anna's son, Gary Windass - who's been hooking up with his daughter, Nicola Rubenstein.

Rumours have already suggested Gary's going to get Nicola pregnant and she'll consider an abortion, something Phelan's not happy about.

Is that why Phelan's shouting at her in the next clip? "Get out of my face," he rages and then she's seen in tears.

So it really is falling apart when he can't even keep his family on side.

Phelan-Nicola.jpg

"Get out of my face" Phelan tells his daughter (Credit: ITV)

The next thing we see, Phelan has a gun and is looking menacing. After a close-up of each victim, we see Pat on a rainy, dark night, looking down over something - or someone.

Has he killed one of them? It would certainly seem that he's finally become the murderer we believed him to be - but who has he done away with? Anna, Gary, Andy, Nicola, or Daniel?

Read more: Corrie blunder has viewers up in arms

Phelan-Corrie.jpg

Even Phelan doesn't look happy about whatever it is he's done (Credit: ITV/Twitter)

Anna is the most likely candidate, given that we know actress Debbie Rush has quit the cobbles after nine years in the role.

Is it set to be a very dark end for Anna? And how will Phelan ever find redemption if he does turn killer?

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

I just saw the cute montage they put together for her, and they dedicated tonight's episode to her too. Via Twitter, someone posted the interview of Samia Ghadie and Alan Halsall who were asked about Liz and Samia was fighting back tears. I felt for her. 

RIP, Liz Dawn. Now Jack & Vera are once again reunited. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

That was some utter bulls--t. 

So we sat through months of watching poor Andy suffer in the basement to only be killed?! 

That was such a poor writing choice and stupid a** plot point to this already dragged out story. 

I like Kate Oates but I feel like she's trying to make Phelan into Richard Hillman (via body count), which he is not. 

Poor Oliver Farnworth. Such a sexy piece of talent once again wasted on a stupid, sensationalized story. And we all know KO did to get buzz at the BSA's next year. 

Coronation Street's Pat Phelan murders Andy after he shoots Vinny in shocking scenes 'too dark and violent for pre-watershed'

Andy finally did evil Pat's bidding and killed Vinny, but he was then shot dead by the builder

ANDY SHOOTS VINNY BEFORE HE'S MURDERED BY EVIL PHELAN

Get Soaps updates directly to you

Coronation Street aired potentially it's darkest ever scenes tonight as Pat Phelan murdered Andy Carver.

In some sinister scenes, Phelan finally revealed his bloody revenge plan for Vinny Ashford, but it was too much for some viewers.

Phelan wasn't planning to get his own hands dirty, telling Andy to kill his nemesis in order to secure his freedom, so he brutally shot an unconscious Vinny dead.

Then in another grim scene, a gun shot was heard with only the abandoned paper factory on-screen, before viewers got a glimpse of Andy's lifeless body.

EMB-Phelan-3.jpg
Pat Phelan revealed his sinster plan on Corrie 

EMB-Phelan-4.jpg
Phelan, Andy and Vinny were in an abandoned paper factory 

Coronation-Street--Andy-Vinny-and-Phelan
He shot dead Andy Carver, who had killed Vinny just moments before 

During tonight's double-bill, Phelan armed himself with a shotgun as he began to carry out his revenge plan against Vinny.

A manipulative Phelan convinced a terrified Andy that he would be set free, so long as he murdered Vinny.

As Vinny lied unconscious and bloody on the ground, a frantic Andy stood to the side with a gun.

EMB-Phelan-1.jpg
Andy is told that he will obtain freedom if he kills Vinny 

But after doing the evil deed he turned the gun on Pat 

Phelan pressured Andy to shoot Vinny, so he shockingly obliged, before turning the gun on his captor.

There was then another gunshot, by viewers didn't know whether Andy or Pat had been killed.

It turned out that Pat had murdered Andy because he couldn't be trusted to keep quiet.

Andy used to be such a kind character 

EMB-Phelan-5.jpg
Vinny lies unconscious on the floor 

Before praying to god, Phelan said: "I'm really sorry kid. I had to.

"You wouldn't have been able to live with yourself."

His next move was equally shocking, as he dropped the bodies in a river, then planted some evidence in the solicitor's office.

He then casually went to the Rovers to have a well-earned pint.

EMB-Phelan-2.jpg
Phelan tried to manipulate Andy into killing Vinny 

Pat decided he couldn't keep Andy alive any longer 

Vinny (Ian Kelsey) disappeared from the cobbles over a year ago - leaving Phelan (Connor McIntyre) to deal with the fallout from their scam and with no money to show for it.

Having escaped to Hawaii, Vinny thought he was all in the clear. But little did he know that Phelan would discover his real identity, Harvey McArdle, and his poor elderly mum Flora.

And sending a thug around to finish off Phelan appeared to be the last straw. The seething builder used his mum to blackmail him to give him money - but when the conman came up with the goods, Phelan ended up knocking him out and took him captive.

Has Phelan become too dark? 

Corrie viewers took to Twitter after witnessing the distressing scenes.

One viewer said: "#corrie. Tonight's episode is far too dark and violent for pre-watershed."

Another added: "This is actually too much, it's a soap not The Wire or something. This plot is disgusting and way too dark #corrie"

A third said: "Seriously #corrie... far too early in the evening for two violent murders. Follow @MirrorTV

19Comments

Sign In

• Sort Comments

picture?type=square
FacebookUser_x1.png
3 MINUTES AGO
k3llyt67
Thanks for that DM. I really look forward to watching the omnibus Saturday. ...now I don't have to  ! Derrrr

5 MINUTES AGO
marrmrrs1
Sack the producers!!!.. This has hit an all time low!... Ridiculous story lines, drawn out for months on end. Full of characters you care nothing about and a complete waste of some talented actors. Phelan could have been around for years!.. Great actor but multiple murderer!!.. Garbage!... Some of the younger cast lack experience and come across as wooden and not likeable.... I could not care less if i see this episode!!!! SACK THE PRODUCERS ASAP!!!!

17 MINUTES AGO
Madeinnz
I really can't be bothered with Corrie much anymore. Have watched it since the 60s as a child but now the storylines are ridiculously over the top, violent, unbelievable, and there is very little humour to be seen now in it.  The beauty of Corrie was the humour, yes there was a bit of drama but it was more short lived and relationship drama i.e. Affairs or other things but if I wanted to see a black murderous drama I would watch one. Corrie is 7.30 pm way before the watershed but yet we had cocaine being snorted the other week and now this violence.  Bye bye Corrie it was nice while it lasted. 
  • 1 reply

2 MINUTES AGO
marrmrrs1
Totally agree... Sack the producers before the viewing figures hit a record low!!..  @Madeinnz 

Edited by victoria foxton