Toups

Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

8 hours ago, MichaelGL said:

Totally don't know this Andy character (as I had just started watching after he had "died") but he does look cute. 

He does, doesn't he? :wub:

I hope they bring back Steph and reunite the 2. Andy and Steph were such a cute, innocent couple that I wanted to have a happy ending. 

4 hours ago, TimWil said:

He does look better with a beard.

I'm guessing Carla will be on an "opposing side" from Michelle over Robert. Had forgotten she'd slept with Robert early last year when she found out Johnny was her father. It wouldn't be right time-wise for her to show up with his baby, would it? She'd have been at least five months pregnant when she left Weatherfield.

Not uh. :P Oliver Farnsworth looks a mess with that beard. 

Ooo and don't put that in the stratosphere. I don't wanna see Michelle v. Carla over Robert. Nothing but a whole bunch of tears and screaming between the 2. Plus, as much as I don't care for Michelle, I did enjoy her friendship with Carla. Can there be one female friendship on soaps where they don't fall apart over penis? 

TimWil   

Falling apart over penis! I love that!

But it does seem likely that there will be some sort of conflict between Michelle and Carla over Robert. Perhaps Michelle and Robert are planning a Christmas wedding and Carla arrives to help Steve throw a wrench in the proceedings?

Adamski   
On 31 July 2017 at 1:45 AM, MichaelGL said:

Mary and Adam are great as well lol

I do enjoy how Mary flirts with Adam, and that he humours her, it's a nice touch. 

Also, I don't want Carla to ever be saddled with a child. 

TimWil   
1 hour ago, Adamski said:

I do enjoy how Mary flirts with Adam, and that he humours her, it's a nice touch. 

Also, I don't want Carla to ever be saddled with a child. 

But it's been well established that she always wanted one and was totally devastated when she suffered a miscarriage.

Adamski   
9 hours ago, TimWil said:

But it's been well established that she always wanted one and was totally devastated when she suffered a miscarriage.

I'd still prefer her to remain childless. 

DRW50   

I can't help thinking of Oates saying she regrets killing off strong female characters at Emmerdale. Rita was, at least until about 10-15 years ago, one of the strongest women Corrie ever had, and a believable character, unlike most of the hollow, brittle female characters of recent years. 

Oates used to be a producer with a lot of heart - it got lost somewhere in 2015, minus a few bits here and there. For that reason, and because I don't think Rita has very strong relationships in recent years, I'm not sure if I would want to see this. Malcolm Hebeden and Patti Clare are good actors, but I don't really believe the relationships between Rita and their characters. Gemma isn't a strong enough character (or actress). So that just leaves Jenny Bradley, and I have no idea where that character ever is in the writing. I wouldn't be surprised if we get scenes where Norris or Gemma accuse her of wanting Rita dead to get her money. 

I guess we'll see. I would rather just have Rita go on a cruise rather than a "big" exit designed for a soap award and forgotten within a month, but if Oates becomes more like the producer she used to be and if they figure out the right character balance, it could work.

Graham   

No mention of Barbara retiring or the exit being her choice.

She is still capable of getting her lines out and doing scenes. 

JamesF   

In a bit of unexpected news ITV3 is going to start airing repeats of Corrie from October, starting with Alan Bradley's first appearance in 1986. They'll be airing two eps a day and given the show was only on twice a week back then, they'll blast through fairly quickly.

I should imagine the eps will make their way online for those interested...

54 minutes ago, JamesF said:

In a bit of unexpected news ITV3 is going to start airing repeats of Corrie from October, starting with Alan Bradley's first appearance in 1986. They'll be airing two eps a day and given the show was only on twice a week back then, they'll blast through fairly quickly.

I should imagine the eps will make their way online for those interested...

I wish they'd start broadcasting the series from the very beginning. I'd watch! Ena Sharples forever, woohoo! :)

DRW50   
3 hours ago, vetsoapfan said:

I wish they'd start broadcasting the series from the very beginning. I'd watch! Ena Sharples forever, woohoo! :)

Most stuff from April 1976 on is available. I was hoping they would show older material. It is available. 

Maybe this stuff won't be edited down as the Granada Plus repeats were - not holding my breath. 

3 hours ago, DRW50 said:

Most stuff from April 1976 on is available. I was hoping they would show older material. It is available. 

Maybe this stuff won't be edited down as the Granada Plus repeats were - not holding my breath. 

It's painful watching vintage material be butchered and hacked, to make way for extra commercials. Some of edited episodes I have seen of I Love Lucy, Gunsmoke, and The Big Valley have been atrocious!