Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Members

It goes without saying that "Hilder" is one of UK soaps' most legendary characters and perhaps Corrie's most iconic. She and Stan really were pioneers on the show and helped develop its identity after the first four years, bringing that almost absurdist level of comedy that stuck around for years and became a Corrie trademark. It's possible the show would have died out decades ago if not for the new tone they added. But like was already said, they were still real people, and they were written as such, not as cartoons. You just can't throw that type of thing together in a few weeks/months time - it builds and builds over years of developing the facets of a character. That's why Stan's death was so heartbreaking and her departure was, too. And to watch interviews of the meek, mild-mannered JA, you knew she was a fantastic actress to bring someone like Hilda to life so well.

Carl, I'm interested - it's obvious that she often hit it on the nose in regards to the show's recent years, but what were comments she'd made that you disagreed with?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Oh wow. I didn't know so many past CS stars felt that way about gay characters. It truly isn't that serious. The show is supposed to be a reflection of life and a community. Do they seriously believe that a community is gonna have one or two gay people in it? Uh no. There's a plethora. Furthermore, it isn't like they have lead stories. Most of the time, Sean, Billy, Todd, Sophie, etc. are in the background. 

• Members

At the time that was written, there was one fairly prominent queer story on the show (Sophie/Sian). The other stories were Sean wanting to see his son and Ken's evil gay grandson (Collinson SUCKED). I can't imagine what some alum who disapproved would say about Corrie in the last few years, as they've actually started having sexually aggressive and charismatic gay men. 

• Members

Jack P. Shepherd was quite wonderful as David in the video message. Nice touch for him to have his childhood pet rabbit Barney as his laptop password.

Ken's phone conversation in the florist's was amusing. Is it really true that some native Brits will actually sit down for a Thanksgiving meal next month? Is it to do with Brexit? 

Edited by TimWil

• Members

I agree with you singling out that Ken scene. I thought that was the most he's been written like his true self in quite awhile.

Thanks for mentioning that David a pet named Barney. I never knew that. I just figured in some sardonic way he was referencing the purple dinosaur. And yes, Shepherd was truly engrossing during the video message. I'm excited for mama Gail to make a roaring comeback this week.

• Members

Some good stuff in the explosion aftermath (the Street working together, suspense, characters believably scared and upset by explosions), but I laughed my ass off when Anna started shrieking and waving her hands around when her legs were on fire. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Earlier this year Norris said she asked him to sell off her things. 

Eileen has always been intensely private. I hope we see her again (especially since her exit wasn't what it should have been - half of it was that idiot Mary saying stupid things), but I have a feeling we won't.