Jump to content
Key Links: Announcements | Support Desk

Hollyoaks: Discussion Thread


Toups

Recommended Posts

  • Members

Isn't odd that Sienna and Mercedes had essentially the same thing going on?  They're both being gaslit by younger women, and their men doubt them.  It is weird to have a soap do two similar stories at once.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Members
Posted (edited)

Trying to watch regularly ...

 

I like both Sienna and Mercede's stories. They are similar yet also very different.

 

I do appreciate how, sometimes unlike US soaps nowadays, we can understand characters motivations, even if they're bizarre, stupid, etc. Cher is clearly in need of therapy and jealous and threatened by Mercedes on different levels. It's kinda interesting to watch, and then add in toxic social media ...

 

What do people think of Diane's obsession with staying safe from the pandemic? I like they're touching on it (as well as mixing in good old soap drama) actually. 

 

Cindy remains stupid. LOL. I knew instantly paying off Ollie to go away would bite her in the ass. She always sabotages herself. Sue is fun. It's a shame she's dying. How many Ollie's is this? The third? 

 

Mandy/Darren/Nancy is the least interesting to me but I like he got injured by the falling sign. It's time to keep Darren/Nancy together or just end them for good. It feels a bit been there/done that with them quite often.

 

The most bizarre has to be Sienna/Summer/Brody. Summer is trying to destroy Brody but has the hots for Sienna? Is she sincere with Sienna? It's hard to tell. Seems to be ... looking forward to this one coming to a head.

 

Sally/Theresa was the comedic combo I never knew I needed. John Paul can wither and die in prison. He can be so frustrating LOL.

 

I'm liking Denise Welch back on a soap. She's fun as Maxine's awful mother. So Maxine is dating another creepy loser? He's spying on Peri and streaming it? Yikes.

 

The Sid/Courtney thing was weird.

Edited by KMan101
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Posted (edited)

Meant to add I mixed up Maxine and Trish. Trish is dating Fergus (which was made abundantly clear yesterday LOL). This should go well, no? Trish dating a creepy pervert who spies on young women as she runs a dance studio ...

Edited by KMan101
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
22 hours ago, KMan101 said:

What do people think of Diane's obsession with staying safe from the pandemic? I like they're touching on it (as well as mixing in good old soap drama) actually. 

 

It's realistic, and given the trauma of what happend with Edward, it does make sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • Members
On 7/20/2021 at 2:33 PM, KMan101 said:

Summer 2021 trailer ... I'm surprised they showed some of the reveals in the promo

You can definitely sense Bryan Kirkwood is out of the picture from this promo... but I don't hate it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
On 7/22/2021 at 3:45 PM, Liberty City said:

You can definitely sense Bryan Kirkwood is out of the picture from this promo... but I don't hate it.

 

Absolutely. 

 

I didn't hate it either lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, KMan101 said:

 

Absolutely. 

 

I didn't hate it either lol

I'm interested in seeing Lucy Allan's second term in Hollyoaks. Because, unlike American soaps, I do believe Allan will take the legacy Bryan Kirkwood built and will continue to honour it in her own way.

Edited by Liberty City
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I'm excited to see what Lucy Allan will do with the show as well. I won't watch the promo because I've gone completely spoiler free. I don't even want to know casting decisions. I only know that Zara and Prince are returning and that's it. 

Since she's the one who wrote it, I would die if she referenced the time Theresa was infatuated with Ste. It's certainly possible to come up with Leah and Myra-P being rivals at Trish's dance school.

Speaking of references, a few weeks back when Mercedes was berating Tony, it was such a missed opportunity for the writers not to bring up Mercedes aborting their baby.

And I have to get this off my chest, Gabriel Clark has been serviceable as Oli, but he's nowhere near the talent of Aedan Duckworth. The show was between a rock and a hard place because I do believe Oli had to be recast, but I'll never not miss Aedan in the role.

As for Kirkwood, I'll look back at his time positively at the end of day. Despite his issues, you could tell he genuinely loved the show. It's so easy to hate him for his mistakes, and as many years as he's had that's quite the list, but I still think his triumphs outweigh them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Posted (edited)

Kirkwood could be dark, twisted and go way too far (and was very kill happy ... several mistakes made here) but he did seem to love the show.

 

You can see while the structure of the show feels the same, it's less dark. Not a bad thing. I'm still interested in what's going on.

 

So the take on Lucy Allan seems like she'll do a good job continuing the same pace/feel of the show but how is she regarded generally? I don't feel like I've familiarized myself enough with her.

 

Clearly she's responsible for bringing back Donna-Marie, Zara and Prince? I'm good with that. Hopefully some more returns to come. Too bad Kirkwood killed so many characters LOL they have to go back 16 years ...

 

I LOVED Aedan as Olli. He looked perfectly cast as well as Luke's son. The new Olli works but it just isn't the same at all. I'm sorry I'm unaware of why the change took place? I didn't look it up. Did Aedan leave so they recast or was it a choice?

On 7/23/2021 at 7:45 PM, Bright Eyes said:

I'm excited to see what Lucy Allan will do with the show as well. I won't watch the promo because I've gone completely spoiler free. I don't even want to know casting decisions. I only know that Zara and Prince are returning and that's it. 

Since she's the one who wrote it, I would die if she referenced the time Theresa was infatuated with Ste. It's certainly possible to come up with Leah and Myra-P being rivals at Trish's dance school.

Speaking of references, a few weeks back when Mercedes was berating Tony, it was such a missed opportunity for the writers not to bring up Mercedes aborting their baby.

And I have to get this off my chest, Gabriel Clark has been serviceable as Oli, but he's nowhere near the talent of Aedan Duckworth. The show was between a rock and a hard place because I do believe Oli had to be recast, but I'll never not miss Aedan in the role.

As for Kirkwood, I'll look back at his time positively at the end of day. Despite his issues, you could tell he genuinely loved the show. It's so easy to hate him for his mistakes, and as many years as he's had that's quite the list, but I still think his triumphs outweigh them. 

 

Speaking of Tony/Mercedes, it does seem quite often they forget or ignore places where history should be mentioned and used. I love Hollyoaks but it can definitely put plot over character.

Edited by KMan101
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 7/25/2021 at 1:11 PM, KMan101 said:

I LOVED Aedan as Olli. He looked perfectly cast as well as Luke's son. The new Olli works but it just isn't the same at all. I'm sorry I'm unaware of why the change took place? I didn't look it up. Did Aedan leave so they recast or was it a choice?

We don't have the full story as to why Aedan Duckworth exited as Ollie Morgan. All we've been privy to is Hollyoaks announced Duckworth's exit, stating: "Aedan Duckworth is no longer appearing in Hollyoaks and his role has been recast."

Gabriel Clark is cute in the role, but he feels like the child star who cast in the role and someone Duckworth replaced... if that makes sense?

On 7/25/2021 at 1:11 PM, KMan101 said:

Kirkwood could be dark, twisted and go way too far (and was very kill happy ... several mistakes made here) but he did seem to love the show.

You can see while the structure of the show feels the same, it's less dark. Not a bad thing. I'm still interested in what's going on.

So the take on Lucy Allan seems like she'll do a good job continuing the same pace/feel of the show but how is she regarded generally? I don't feel like I've familiarized myself enough with her.

Clearly she's responsible for bringing back Donna-Marie, Zara and Prince? I'm good with that. Hopefully some more returns to come. Too bad Kirkwood killed so many characters LOL they have to go back 16 years ...

This article (via Digital Spy) details some of Lucy Allan's previous tenure and what it could bring for her current regime.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
On 8/9/2021 at 10:34 AM, Liberty City said:

We don't have the full story as to why Aedan Duckworth exited as Ollie Morgan. All we've been privy to is Hollyoaks announced Duckworth's exit, stating: "Aedan Duckworth is no longer appearing in Hollyoaks and his role has been recast."

Gabriel Clark is cute in the role, but he feels like the child star who cast in the role and someone Duckworth replaced... if that makes sense?

This article (via Digital Spy) details some of Lucy Allan's previous tenure and what it could bring for her current regime.

 

Thank you for both articles. I feel good with Allan in charge. Why mess with a stable show? She's already beefing up the families.

 

I like Gabriel Clark but it's just a different kind of adorableness to him. It works for the character but I miss Aedan and yep it makes sense, the child star Duckworth would replace who's brought back to the role as an adult and it really doesn't work even though it should ... kinda thing. I get it lol. To be fair, the UK soaps do seem to do a decent job at recasting when they have to. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 hour ago, KMan101 said:

I like Gabriel Clark but it's just a different kind of adorableness to him. It works for the character but I miss Aedan and yep it makes sense, the child star Duckworth would replace who's brought back to the role as an adult and it really doesn't work even though it should ... kinda thing. I get it lol. To be fair, the UK soaps do seem to do a decent job at recasting when they have to. 

Yes they do, especially Hollyoaks, and I can appreciate it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Community Activity

    1. 12,277

      As The World Turns Discussion Thread

    2. 565

      Any Capitol Fans Here?

    3. 12,277

      As The World Turns Discussion Thread

    4. 2,957

      Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

    5. 1,491

      "The Conners" Discussion Thread

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy