Toups

Hollyoaks: Discussion Thread

7 hours ago, mikelyons said:

I turned off Emmerdale because Lachlan chained Rebecca to a bed in the woods. Now Milo’s chained up Cindy. What is wrong with these shows??

That's a soap staple - you're lucky you never saw the Emmerdale story with Will Cairns and his captor.

There really was no need to kill off Dirk, especially after bringing on a fantastic Liberty recast (I can't say enough good things about her!) Him & Cindy looked unlikely on paper but worked well on screen. I'm wondering what they'll do with Cindy now relationship-wise. Now that her daughter is going, I hope they delve more into her relationship with Alfie, it's always been put aside.

The Mandy/Darren affair has been the weakest part of the show since the story started but I do admire the show for having a very traditional slow-paced approach to a lot of things, like the Milo saga that went on for over a year and was actually well put together. The Ollie/Brodie abuse storyline has been very well written too, the reveal was probably some of the best episodes out of any soap this year.

They've done well with the new young men overall, Imran, Ollie, Hunter to name a few are exactly the type of new generation teens that are lacking on other shows outside of H&A (Ryder, Ty and Coco most recently, I can take or leave Raffie). I'm surprised they've managed to hold on to Harry and Cleo for so long. Too bad they killed off Nico for good this time but she could never have been a viable character again.

I was reading this week's tumblr summary.  Tom and Peri's throuple storyline was over in a week.  Which made me question; do they still have their baby was it adopted?

http://hollyoaksloversx.tumblr.com/

I enjoy when Hollyoaks takes a big swing storywise, but I think the Ste right-wing hatred story is ill-advised.  It is clear that none of these movements would have recruited a guy like Ste.  Most of Ste's violence has been due to mental illness or drugs.  Tom, Brody, or Romeo seem like a more appropriate age and background for this story.

Also, it is very difficult to get used to the pace.  Stories climax and then the character go away for long periods of time.  It lowers the stakes when everyone in town can take off to Ibiza for a month whenever they need to lay low.  

Edited by j swift

The balance has been an issue for some time now, characters have a 3 episode arc and then are off the show for several weeks. The other soaps have as many characters but it doesn't end up this way. I think why it can be frustrating with Hollyoaks is that these characters that disappear actually have a story going on.
Anyway I think the show is having a hell of a year so far. Some stuff has been exceptional, the racism story feels like a very important issue to tackle and is done in a current way, the Home & Away guy married to Sinead and harassing Sienna is very sinister, Mac's death was a long time coming (although I guess now we'll never know how he knew Breda killed Louis), Lily's self-harming, the reboot of the Nightingale family now that the OG ones are mostly gone. They had stopped killing off someone every other month but since last year it's started again, poor Lily.
Myra leaving (alive though) is a let-down given the McQueens are in shambles these days. I don't think that insta couple of Mercedes and Silver works so well, I just don't see the story potential with them when Mercy needs a big push now. I also don't understand why Cleo spends her time on the backburner when she's such a star. If it was up to me I would milk the Cleo and Joel pairing for all it's worth but they're never on and are no longer together. Why walking away from something like that that works so well? Maybe bringing back Zöe Lucker's Reenie would be a good idea if she's interested.
I also wonder why so many actors on this show are so quick to leave when they end up doing nothing (see the Freddie actor) and the show moves on so fast there's never any room to bring them back, that is if they weren't killed off.

Killing off Harry has to be one of the most vile things they've done in a while. I thought maybe there'd be a way out with that old bat Breda keeping him somewhere, but I just watched James identify his body. Even if Parry wanted to leave he could have returned at some point. There's no way they can justify this.
It was nice to see the original Liam in Years and Years, I had liked him in HO and I'm glad he's moved on to bigger things. The Liam recast has worked but they've totally changed the character, things like him saying "I don't like PDAs" I wouldn't have associated with the OG version. And didn't they re-introduce him by having him shoot someone dead?
The Maxine Munchauser story has been outrageously ridiculous. Mitchell being attracted to Scott with the bigoted granddad is one of the best things at the moment.