Hollyoaks: Discussion Thread

OMG, this week was GREAT! Thursday and Friday's episodes are can't miss. Niall is a really sick bastard, but I couldn't help but feel sorry for him when he was in the church with all the McQueen's telling them about how lonely his childhood was and how he didn't feel anything growing up and how being left in the church as a baby scarred him for life.

And it ties nicely into the Jack storyline, as Jack was responsible for sending Niall's father to jail, where he later died. It was nice that Jack risked prison by exposing his identity in public in order to save the McQueen's.

The bomb explosion was very well-done as well. It created lots climaxes and revelations. Mercedes finally admitted to Jacqui that she has a one night stand with Tony a year ago, and John Paul's being held captive was a surprise.

Then there's Tina dying in Dominic's arms and telling him to tell her baby when he grows up that she loved him. :(

I like how Tina and Dom resolved some things in that moment...

And then there's the Friday cliffhanger where it looks like Niall survived when we see his reflection at the end. I have a feeling there's lots more to come from this story. :)

Oh and, when Niall told Myra to choose which children to kill, it had to hurt that she technically chose Jacqui and Carmel, even if she was under pressure. That's sure to create more tension.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw, I liked Tina. She could have been a great heroine, IMO.

Why did Myra choose Carmel AND Jacqui? Why not just one?

Niall asked Myra 6 questions (the number of children she has, exclusing himself). She answered 4 wrong. For every question she got wrong, one of the McQueen children would die.

John Paul and Mercedes volunteered to go first.

Niall then forced Myra to pick two others, and she picked Jacqui and Carmel.

I guess she didn't pick Michaela because she's the youngest one and didn't pick Tina because she's a new mother.

OMG!!! Thursday's and Friday's episodes were the best!!!

But let start back with last Friday's episode when it was revealed Niall took the girls, and those notes were fake! :o Shocker #1

When Niall had all the McQueen women hostage, I kept on thinking, "It would've been perfect if he got John Paul too." And then Niall brings him in!! :o Shocker #2

Myra actually choosing Jacqui and Carmel! :o Shocker #3

Niall blowing up the church!!!! :o Shocker #4 Man that blast was spectacular!

Tina is dead????!!!! :o Shocker #5 When she died in Dom's arms and Dom carrying her out out church, and then Myra saying, "we all made it .....we all made it," those scenes were so good and sad!!! :(

I love the McQueen family. I didn't want anyone to die. :( But I'm glad Jacqui didn't die. She's my favorite McQueen sister. I loved her acting like the older sister, being the tough one, threatning Niall. And then not helping her own mom - awesomeness. Jacqui :wub:

Niall's not dead! :o Shocker #6 That was an awesome ending with his reflection.

I loved the the scenes when Niall and Myra when Myra was stuck. Barry Sloane is such a phenomenal actor. He was so good in Thurs/Fri's eps.

Man, what a week!!! I hope HO gets a bunch of awards, or at least nominations, for these two episodes.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Showbiz/Bar...il/article.html

Hollyoaks star Barry Sloane has claimed he would've got bored if his psychotic soap alter ego had "gone soft".

The 27-year-old actor - who played crazed hairdresser Niall Rafferty - is set to make a dramatic exit from the Channel 4 soap and revealed he wouldn't have wanted to stay if the character had turned over a new leaf.

Niall's exit comes after he kidnapped his half-sisters, The McQueen girls, and their mother and blew them all up on Wednesday night. Viewers are waiting to see who survives.

Barry said: "I would have been disappointed if he'd gone soft. I really like the character but there was only one way the character was going to go."

"If you come in to a soap and play a villain, especially one who is going to kill someone, it's a ticking clock and I would have ended up bored and wanting to leave anyway."

The actor is not sure what he will do next. He said: "It's just the same as ever when you get out of a job, you've got to go for castings and see what comes up. I'm going to meet with my agents and see where they want to push me."

"Obviously if the television awards come along and I get lucky there that will boost my profile a bit and open a few doors for me."

"I'm just happy to be working and as long as I get to act, I'm happy doing anything as it's so demoralising when you're out of work and not being able to do the thing you love."

Viewers can catch the dramatic episodes on Channel 4, weekday evenings at 6.30pm.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner
Youtube has tons of clips/episodes. If you know what torrents are, use that for higher quality. https://boards.soapoperanetwork.com/uploads/emoticons/default_wink.png

Here's a youtube channel for Niall's revenge: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=46527D58653DEB36

Thanks Toups! That promo looks really good.

I like this girl. Her accent is really nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_8Z9SujTFQ...B36&index=2

Did anyone find some things unintentionally funny (or maybe the writers wanted us to laugh in some serious moments).

Like when Tony and Dom were trying to get into the church and couldn't and Dom says, "Oh God, Please let us in!" His delivery made me laugh. :lol:

And then when John Paul, Myra, and Niall were trapped together, and John Paul only wanted to save Myra, but she insisted he save Niall as well. John Paul tells Myra, "But he killed Kieron!" Myra then tells John Paul, "And he'll go to prison for that!" A few seconds after saying how she doesn't want one of her sons killing the other mind you and her delivery also made me laugh. :lol:

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/m...arrysloane.html

Barry Sloane interview

This week will see the start of Niall Rafferty's evil revenge plan on his real family, the McQueens. We caught up with Barry Sloane, who plays Niall, to find out about the upcoming explosion storyline...

What was it like filming the explosion scenes in the church?

It was unbelievable, it was some of the best stuff I've ever done and I loved it. It took us six days to complete but it was worth every minute. We did it in a big scary old church with like a priests training school up in Wigan.

Did you all have stunt doubles?

Yeah, mine was about 5'1" and James Sutton's (John Paul) double was about six foot but he was sat down so it looks alright.

Were you pleased with the storyline when the producers told you?

Yeah I haven't seen the final thing yet but, I was so pleased when I heard about the storyline.

It sounds like it's going to be really dramatic but this storyline has been building up for a year hasn't it?

Yeah when I first started all the girls were like 'I can't wait for the climax of this storyline' and I was saying that I'd barely got started on Niall yet. So finally, the people who have put in the time and patience watching the storyline are going to get paid back with this climax and hopefully they'll be pleased with it.

So what about Niall and Steph's relationship, are we going to see them grow closer before the explosion happens? Yeah, well before the church happens it all falls apart because he is caught being aggressive to Tom by shouting and screaming at him and when Steph sees this it all comes to a head.

Does he at any point want to confide in Steph do you think?

No, because I think there wasn't enough time to take the story down that route. Certainly from my point of view I think he'd have confided in Steph but the development of their relationship would have taken too long, we just didn’t have that sort of time scale.

It's quite sad because in the episodes before the church explosion it looks like Niall is turning his life around and he has this happy little family with Tom and Steph and he was settling down.

So will these episodes go out as an hour special?

No but they will be filmed so that the whole week is one day, so the whole week will be about this storyline. It's a really strong week, I'm going to say that, because I'm really proud of it!

http://www.myparkmag.co.uk/articles/televi...ed-mcqueen.html

Hollyoaks - What's next for the murdered McQueen?

Friday, 17 October 2008

As Tina dies on Hollyoaks tonight fans of the show are wondering what actress Leah Hackett will be doing now she's not a McQueen.

In an exclusive interview for the official Hollyoaks website Leah has admitted that it was her decision to leave the soap and she is thrilled to have been involved in such an exciting storyline.

She said: "When I found out what the storyline was and who was directing it I was really excited, especially because it involved all of the McQueens.

"It was great to be able to say goodbye to everyone because unless it's a big storyline people tend to leave in the back of a taxi whereas this really was like saying goodbye to my family because we did it all on location, and it was great fun and the scripts were great too."

Tina wants to try something new and doesn't want to play a geek in her next job.

She found filming her death scene quite disturbing: "It's weird to think that I've killed a character because I've chosen to leave, that character no longer exists and it affects all these other characters.

"You can't help but think that if I hadn't decided to leave my character would probably have walked out with a broken arm or something. Everyone worked so hard and I think we will all be pleased with the

final result."

When she was asked which character will be most affected by her death she replied: "I would say Dom and maybe Russ as well because the day when she ends up getting kidnapped they have had a massive argument and she hears him saying that he only slept with her because he felt sorry for her.

"They are his final words to her before she dies so I think maybe he will feel quite remorseful.

"I think Dom because so much has happened I think if you knew that someone was going to die, even if you don't think you are going to be together, you would want to leave on good terms. I suppose the scene where they are in the crypt and she is dying kind of fulfils this so maybe that will be enough for him to move on."

Barry Sloane is leaving too? Damn! :(

I guess I'll have to hope for his return someday, like Gemma Bissix.

Who's going to be the baddie now?

So they took six days to shoot Thurs and Friday's eps? That's pretty interesting. Hollyoaks' shooting style is like film right? And that's why they have like the same director for 5 straight episodes.

Barry Sloane is leaving too? Damn! :(

I believe he's supposed to be in the limited late night spin-off. I think that spin-off takes place in another universe though, kind of like what Night Shift Season One was to GH. I'm not sure though.

I guess I'll have to hope for his return someday, like Gemma Bissix.

Who's going to be the baddie now?

Everything lately has me wondering if they're planning Clare's return. She's the only one besides Louise and Calvin that knows Warren killed Sean (Louise's ex-husband). She also has a lot to settle with Warren and Justin, and she could still kill Tom if she wants. LOL!

Also, Hollyoaks tends to introduce their villians in the final months of the year. Clare left in September 2007, and Niall popped up not long after that.

So they took six days to shoot Thurs and Friday's eps? That's pretty interesting. Hollyoaks' shooting style is like film right? And that's why they have like the same director for 5 straight episodes.

Yes, they shoot like film, but they shoot their stuff like 2-3 months in advance before it airs.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner
I believe he's supposed to be in the limited late night spin-off. I think that spin-off takes place in another universe though, kind of like what Night Shift Season One was to GH. I'm not sure though.

When is that airing again?

Everything lately has me wondering if they're planning Clare's return. She's the only one besides Louise and Calvin that knows Warren killed Sean (Louise's ex-husband). She also has a lot to settle with Warren and Justin, and she could still kill Tom if she wants. LOL!

I hope she returns. Like you mentioned, Clare can mix it up with a lot of people.

Yes, they shoot like film, but they shoot their stuff like 2-3 months in advance before it airs.

What about their writing. I notice that they have like 20 script writers - each writer writing about 1 episode a month. What's the writing team structure like?

When is that airing again?

Somewhere next month, I'll post exact dates when I know exactly when.

What about their writing. I notice that they have like 20 script writers - each writer writing about 1 episode a month. What's the writing team structure like?

The producers and storliners generally come up with the storylines, the characters they want used, and what characters they want introduced. The producer, Bryan Kirkwood in Hollyoaks case (sigh, he'll be missed), comes up with storylines with his storyliners, and they plot them, and come up with something resembling an outline (very different from breakdowns from US soaps). Anyway, the scriptwriters meet with the producers and storyliners and they have to execute the outline they have. The scriptwriters write everything from the dialogue to the scenes themselves. UK soaps are more of a collaborative process as well. Anyone can pitch a story idea, the scriptwriters are always welcomed to contribute. There's no "Head Writer," it's more of a group effort.

There's a script editor as well, who checks for errors in continuity and all the usual stuff script editors do.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner