Hollyoaks: Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

There really was no need to kill off Dirk, especially after bringing on a fantastic Liberty recast (I can't say enough good things about her!) Him & Cindy looked unlikely on paper but worked well on screen. I'm wondering what they'll do with Cindy now relationship-wise. Now that her daughter is going, I hope they delve more into her relationship with Alfie, it's always been put aside.

The Mandy/Darren affair has been the weakest part of the show since the story started but I do admire the show for having a very traditional slow-paced approach to a lot of things, like the Milo saga that went on for over a year and was actually well put together. The Ollie/Brodie abuse storyline has been very well written too, the reveal was probably some of the best episodes out of any soap this year.

They've done well with the new young men overall, Imran, Ollie, Hunter to name a few are exactly the type of new generation teens that are lacking on other shows outside of H&A (Ryder, Ty and Coco most recently, I can take or leave Raffie). I'm surprised they've managed to hold on to Harry and Cleo for so long. Too bad they killed off Nico for good this time but she could never have been a viable character again.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

http://hollyoaksloversx.tumblr.com/

I enjoy when Hollyoaks takes a big swing storywise, but I think the Ste right-wing hatred story is ill-advised.  It is clear that none of these movements would have recruited a guy like Ste.  Most of Ste's violence has been due to mental illness or drugs.  Tom, Brody, or Romeo seem like a more appropriate age and background for this story.

Also, it is very difficult to get used to the pace.  Stories climax and then the character go away for long periods of time.  It lowers the stakes when everyone in town can take off to Ibiza for a month whenever they need to lay low.  

Edited by j swift

• 1 month later...
  • Members

The balance has been an issue for some time now, characters have a 3 episode arc and then are off the show for several weeks. The other soaps have as many characters but it doesn't end up this way. I think why it can be frustrating with Hollyoaks is that these characters that disappear actually have a story going on.
Anyway I think the show is having a hell of a year so far. Some stuff has been exceptional, the racism story feels like a very important issue to tackle and is done in a current way, the Home & Away guy married to Sinead and harassing Sienna is very sinister, Mac's death was a long time coming (although I guess now we'll never know how he knew Breda killed Louis), Lily's self-harming, the reboot of the Nightingale family now that the OG ones are mostly gone. They had stopped killing off someone every other month but since last year it's started again, poor Lily.
Myra leaving (alive though) is a let-down given the McQueens are in shambles these days. I don't think that insta couple of Mercedes and Silver works so well, I just don't see the story potential with them when Mercy needs a big push now. I also don't understand why Cleo spends her time on the backburner when she's such a star. If it was up to me I would milk the Cleo and Joel pairing for all it's worth but they're never on and are no longer together. Why walking away from something like that that works so well? Maybe bringing back Zöe Lucker's Reenie would be a good idea if she's interested.
I also wonder why so many actors on this show are so quick to leave when they end up doing nothing (see the Freddie actor) and the show moves on so fast there's never any room to bring them back, that is if they weren't killed off.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Killing off Harry has to be one of the most vile things they've done in a while. I thought maybe there'd be a way out with that old bat Breda keeping him somewhere, but I just watched James identify his body. Even if Parry wanted to leave he could have returned at some point. There's no way they can justify this.
It was nice to see the original Liam in Years and Years, I had liked him in HO and I'm glad he's moved on to bigger things. The Liam recast has worked but they've totally changed the character, things like him saying "I don't like PDAs" I wouldn't have associated with the OG version. And didn't they re-introduce him by having him shoot someone dead?
The Maxine Munchauser story has been outrageously ridiculous. Mitchell being attracted to Scott with the bigoted granddad is one of the best things at the moment.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Anyone still watching? 

I am catching up from the fall and now in February. 

The climax to the Breda story was epic-the farmhouse and the fire and Tony's rescue and Mercedes and John Paul working together. I loved it. 

And now this Mitchell being outed and the Deveraux plot has to be my favorite. I am loving Toby and Celeste and the vibe they bring. Will be interested to see where Romeo and Celeste go. 

And I absolutely love Azim, he just left town and I hope he comes back. The Deverauxs, the Maaliks, McQueens and the Nightingales have to be my favorite families. Oh and Verity's arrival had me interested too. There has been a lot going on. I do actually wish they would trim the cast some. I cant keep up with whose coming and going and temporarily in a story lull. 

Only thing I am not enjoying is Diane (and I was one of the few who liked her) getting involved with Tony's dad and props to the show for playing Tony's PTSD. I wish the American soaps played on psychology like Hollyoaks does. 

• Members

Almost caught up and still loving the Deveraux plot as Toby has just exposed his identity and called out Martine at Mitchell's birthday party and then the reveal that they were triplets and Toby and Celeste blowing out their birthday candles. I haven't liked any American storyline from start to reveal this much in years and the fact that a black family has more story over about a six month period on a thirty minute UK soap is insane but this is great and I cant wait to see where it goes. 

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Richard Blackwood from EastEnders playing the triplets' father bugs me. I've been waiting for someone like the actress who played Roxy Mitchell, I didn't expect to get Vincent. Also think making them triplets was a mistake, as Celeste worked better as an outsider, maybe the daughter of the doctor who experimented on Toby but I'm glad they didn't completely phase out the Loveday family and rebooted it instead, we still have Lisa but to me she never recovered from her affair with Mac.
Still think the show made a huge mistake killing off Harry, especially for a weak serial killer story (how long before another one?) I had no idea people disliked Diane but I don't care for Tony's dad at all, Verity can be good though but she seems right out of Shortland Street. Sinead is not coming back is she?
Can we mention how ridiculous that all three Donovan brothers are dead now? And Liam right after Jesse. It's just too much. It reminds me of the long-forgotten half-brothers of Darren (will the ones that are alive ever be mentioned again?)
At least there's the Salon de Thé de Marnie to bring some light-hearted drama (OTOH, Cindy's new venture doesn't work as well). And Sid is a major star. The long Ste break has been nice.