Toups

Hollyoaks: Discussion Thread

so Ryan killed Amy because she knew he was gay and having an affair and was threating to expose him to the entire village? that sure doesn't sound like something she would do

Sometimes I feel like I’m too hard on Hollyoaks compared to other soaps in regards to homophobia, because at least they consistently have lgbt characters in multiple stories (and seem to be trying to bring in more POC queer people as well in roles that go beyond third wheel), but…but...but

The scenes with Ryan killing Amy actually made me feel sick to my stomach.

I haven’t seen such blatantly homophobic material since I watched Celluloid Closet. 

I have to question whether this was the original plan, as Ryan has enjoyed emotional as well as sexual relationships with three different women over the last 5-6 months. Yes, closeted gay men can and do have sex with women, obviously, but I can’t say I’ve gotten a huge impression that he was gay and in denial. I got the impression that he wanted everyone to believe he was straight and not bisexual.

This also means that his efforts to help protect Armstrong early on make even less sense.

Beyond that, let’s just talk about the virulent homophobia and misogyny in that scene with Ryan killing Amy. A woman being reduced to yelling about her gay men (never mind anything else in her life over the 12 years we knew her) before being snuffed out by a gay man, shaking and weeping as he repeatedly says he isn’t gay. 

What this scene tells viewers is that gay men are not only self-loathing, not only disturbed, but violent and dangerous. They’re murderers. They don’t just use and hurt the women they lie to (which is bad enough in of itself) - they kill them. 

If this aired on a major show, I imagine it would get a furious reaction from Stonewall and other groups. It’s the very core of what homophobic outlets have spent decades telling people about queer people. 

I’m genuinely shocked and also disgusted at this and I can’t believe this is what they decided to spend months of material as well as a major marketing

campaign on. That women are there to be killed by psychotic, violent gay men.

On 10/10/2017 at 12:39 AM, DRW50 said:

Sometimes I feel like I’m too hard on Hollyoaks compared to other soaps in regards to homophobia, because at least they consistently have lgbt characters in multiple stories (and seem to be trying to bring in more POC queer people as well in roles that go beyond third wheel), but…but...but

The scenes with Ryan killing Amy actually made me feel sick to my stomach.

I haven’t seen such blatantly homophobic material since I watched Celluloid Closet. 

I have to question whether this was the original plan, as Ryan has enjoyed emotional as well as sexual relationships with three different women over the last 5-6 months. Yes, closeted gay men can and do have sex with women, obviously, but I can’t say I’ve gotten a huge impression that he was gay and in denial. I got the impression that he wanted everyone to believe he was straight and not bisexual.

This also means that his efforts to help protect Armstrong early on make even less sense.

Beyond that, let’s just talk about the virulent homophobia and misogyny in that scene with Ryan killing Amy. A woman being reduced to yelling about her gay men (never mind anything else in her life over the 12 years we knew her) before being snuffed out by a gay man, shaking and weeping as he repeatedly says he isn’t gay. 

What this scene tells viewers is that gay men are not only self-loathing, not only disturbed, but violent and dangerous. They’re murderers. They don’t just use and hurt the women they lie to (which is bad enough in of itself) - they kill them. 

If this aired on a major show, I imagine it would get a furious reaction from Stonewall and other groups. It’s the very core of what homophobic outlets have spent decades telling people about queer people. 

I’m genuinely shocked and also disgusted at this and I can’t believe this is what they decided to spend months of material as well as a major marketing

campaign on. That women are there to be killed by psychotic, violent gay men.

I don't really understand why they threw Ryan under the bus when clearly Harry was set up to be the murderer. The legions of Starry fans didn't approve or something? 

23 minutes ago, Winchester91 said:

I don't really understand why they threw Ryan under the bus when clearly Harry was set up to be the murderer. The legions of Starry fans didn't approve or something? 

for some reason, I kept thinking they were going to throw a curve ball and have Amy's mom be the killer as she couldn't handle Amy taking the grandkids to America