Hollyoaks: Discussion Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Sometimes I feel like I’m too hard on Hollyoaks compared to other soaps in regards to homophobia, because at least they consistently have lgbt characters in multiple stories (and seem to be trying to bring in more POC queer people as well in roles that go beyond third wheel), but…but...but

The scenes with Ryan killing Amy actually made me feel sick to my stomach.

I haven’t seen such blatantly homophobic material since I watched Celluloid Closet. 

I have to question whether this was the original plan, as Ryan has enjoyed emotional as well as sexual relationships with three different women over the last 5-6 months. Yes, closeted gay men can and do have sex with women, obviously, but I can’t say I’ve gotten a huge impression that he was gay and in denial. I got the impression that he wanted everyone to believe he was straight and not bisexual.

This also means that his efforts to help protect Armstrong early on make even less sense.

Beyond that, let’s just talk about the virulent homophobia and misogyny in that scene with Ryan killing Amy. A woman being reduced to yelling about her gay men (never mind anything else in her life over the 12 years we knew her) before being snuffed out by a gay man, shaking and weeping as he repeatedly says he isn’t gay. 

What this scene tells viewers is that gay men are not only self-loathing, not only disturbed, but violent and dangerous. They’re murderers. They don’t just use and hurt the women they lie to (which is bad enough in of itself) - they kill them. 

If this aired on a major show, I imagine it would get a furious reaction from Stonewall and other groups. It’s the very core of what homophobic outlets have spent decades telling people about queer people. 

I’m genuinely shocked and also disgusted at this and I can’t believe this is what they decided to spend months of material as well as a major marketing

campaign on. That women are there to be killed by psychotic, violent gay men.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

The show won't be the same without Frankie. Then again all they would give her at this point was third-rate comedy stuff once every two months.
Regarding Amy's killer, I think it would have been better had it been James in order to frame Ste, thus explaining why he did everything to keep Harry out of prison. But between James and RyRy, James is definitely the one to keep for the long haul.
It's too bad Warren is already gone. I wonder where that leaves Sienna who had found more of a purpose again with that relationship, it seems there's hints to something with Joel but I'd rather he be happy with Cleo for the time being. I like the new Sienna/Grace friendship a lot.
Mac is the biggest POS I've seen on this show in a long time, even Patrick Blake wasn't so nasty. When he eventually gets his comeuppance it's going to be something.