Hollyoaks: Discussion Thread

• Members

I never cared for Charles. He always felt tacked on to me. As for the Costellos, though I liked Seth enough, Riley is the only memorable one from the family. The worst thing about their creation was building them off a character (Jem,  don't remember her? Exactly!) who was pretty much a failure her whole short time on the show. She was lifeless. Carl was just unlikable, and the only memorable thing about Heidi was due to Silas killing her. To be fair, Marquess (IMO) produced the worst period the show has ever been. Any of his creations that succeeded during his time were due to Gareth Philips, but especially the greatly underrated Emma Smithwick, who I wish was still in charge.

I, too, don't see where they can go with Joanne once this story is over. I like the layers in her character that we've seen in recent weeks. That she came to the conclusion on her own that her friendship with Simone was more important to her than her fear of loneliness that drove her bunny boiler qualities solidified her past being one note for me. Also, the casting you allude to was spoiled in the SPRING trailer.

Dodger was pretty personified, and was charming as all get out. This new guy looks like an emaciated rat. I'll take the moment to tell you Dodger and Texas are one of my favourite soap couples across the board, and that's all thanks to the fantastic Emma Smithwick who brought them to glory. 2012 was just a fantastic year for the show, the best of all the soaps that year bar none.

I like the potential of Freddie/Ellie myself. It seems fresh to me. Hooking up with Marnie doesn't bother me though. I guess they'll be even on the familiar relations score now. I'll be interested to see how it affects Ellie and Marnie's relationship.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

From 2012, I only watched Riley's death and at the time Nancy & Darren had a baby who was in intensive care. That makes me interested. Once again it's just sad all those characters were killed off, Riley, Texas, Doug. I just wonder why all those actors leave.
The detective from 2011 Ethan showed up on Emmerdale last week. Honestly I'm interested to see what Iain McLeod does for ED which is still good but I don't think this year has been particularly outstanding, I'm spoiler-free so I don't know of his plans.

So the Donovans are Grace's brothers. Glad to see they're building a family around her. When I first saw her I never would have expected she'd have such good timing for comedy. But the stories they give her are not as well thought-out as they could be. I don't even remember a real ending to Esther's baby, then those short flings with Kim and Esther which were weirdly resolved (don't know why Kim suddenly stopped being obsessed with her). Not to mention her fling with Darren. But then again that's true for the whole show.

Great to see Nancy but on a shallow note I don't like the blonde on her. I hope they have story for her. When I came back over a year ago there was a time where she was on everyday it seemed.
Tuesday's episode was really good. Lindsey should kill Silas, would serve him right!

• Members

The new blonde on Nancy looks like a wig to me. It's horrible. If ever Nancy dyed her hair some neon colour and they threw a mesh tank top and a gold chain on Darren again, I think I would die of happiness.

When Grace first came on, she was completely unwatchable. But Kirkwood really wanted her to work out so he put the time into fixing her. I'd say ever since she debuted with her clown hair, circa the time Mercedes "died" she's been one of the best characters on the show.

The Donovan brothers. I've made my feelings for Liam known. He has nothing about him (looks, charisma, charm) that would effectively make him a playboy. The bald one doesn't seem like much of an actor either, but I'll give him a chance. The one who pretended to be a cop is cute though and seems to be the better actor out of the three. I think I'll quite like him.

Edited by Bright Eyes

• Members

Ste & Harry's shtick is getting so old.
Am I the only one worried about Kieron? He doesn't seem well at all.

The Loveday drama has been good. I wonder if anything will happen with Joanne's mother. I've gone from hating Joanne to thinking there might be potential with her.

The Sienna/Trevor affair seems to be the dead end I knew it was going to be. I've never gotten the point of Ben as currently written, he could be so much more than this.
Maxine and Neeta being best friends now was a weird moment but good to see Maxine even though they clearly don't know what to do with her.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I watched some recent clips to see Amy, although naturally her only reason for returning was to bitch out Ste for yet again being a failure of a father. I suppose I should give the show credit as they didn't try to make her seem irrational or cruel, and instead made it clear through Harry contacting her that those kids should not be in that environment, living in a shack. It's sad that Harry cares more about those children than Ste does, especially since he's not even a decade older than one of them! I remember years ago when Ste, for his many, many flaws, loved his children. They have just taken this character to pieces, and Kieron mostly seems to just resort to sloppy habits in response.

I couldn't help noticing that a show that has such a blase attitude about prostitution and such took pains to never let viewers see Harry kiss James. Were they afraid that "Starry" fans would be angry? Or did they not want to give any impression that Harry was getting anything out of it? It's too bad, as James is actually a charismatic, attractive guy (even if he's a sleaze), and the actor and Parry Glasspool have a certain...something about them. I think Harry sleeping with him for money but also because he was so fed up of a punishing life with Ste would have been more compelling.

So I guess they've so completely run out of stories and men for JP that he's now romantically involved with Scott? Why? Compared to some of his past relationships (so many...), they actually aren't that bad, but it is pretty much just waving a white flag in terms of John Paul being of any importance to the show.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I wanted to see how Harry/James would go but so far the story is a bit unappealing. At least Harry gave him back the money, so maybe there will be something less sleazy between them? Do Ste/Harry have that many fans? I think JP/Harry would have been a lot more interesting but without the teacher/student angle.
I just watched Friday's show and I loved the Sienna/Grace banters, and the Loveday climax. I kept expecting Lisa to be Esther's online date, now that would have been a twist.

(I kind of miss Patrick.)

• Members

Apparently they do have a lot of fans on Twitter.  God knows why.

I think the story is supposed to be trashy and wrong and Harry felt it was the only option, and I guess I should praise the show for not trying to sex it up, but this was one time I actually would have wanted them to sex it up...

• Members

What I want to know is why the hell is Stephanie Davis STILL in the opening even after the newest cast members have been added to it? Talk about leaving the door open...

Edited by TimWil