Hollyoaks: Discussion Thread

• Members

Jorgie Porter.

Theresa could be a mess of a character, but when correctly written for was great entertainment. She was one of the people holding the show on her shoulders during the Allan/Marquess/Phillips/Smithwick merry go round. Shooting Calvin was the best thing she ever did. A true blessing that catapulted her to lead status, whose place on the canvas Kirkwood replaced with Sinead, who he quickly ruined beyond belief. Theresa hasn't recovered her status on the show since, sadly.

I only wish we could have seen her and Warren taken further. They had bucket loads of chemistry together. That elevator stunt is one of my favourites the show has done. It also makes me miss Neil Toon, who was written out too hastily as Kyle Ryder, who Porter also had a lot of chemistry with.  I also believe it was a missed opportunity to reference her and Ste's short relationship during everything that happened with him and John Paul. But Kirkwood only ever does anything for plot, so nuances aren't allowed. Even with the producer shake ups, the show was still grounded in numerous friendships, which have all been viscerally abolished now. Mitzeee was Theresa's last true friend, and she hasn't had a meaningful relationship since. Even after that horrible introduction plot with Tony, she has managed to become a favourite, because Jorgie Porter has always been able to make her likeable, rootable, and given her depth beyond the blonde bimbo trope. However, her soliloquy to Myra about no one giving her a chance because of what they believe her to be felt so unearned. 

And even though I hated how much time Kirkwood wasted Dodger away from Texas, with women he had no chemistry with, like Theresa, and especially Maxine, Theresa's last great scene is probably when she threatened to shoot Dodger after Texas died. That she was still hung up on him when she returned from prison, with an unnecessary pregnancy to boot, was a travesty.

Lastly, adding to my woe about the lack of friendships on this show, it would have been a nice throwback if Theresa could have left because Anita helped her get a job somewhere. A harking back to her beginning with the first friend she made in the village. On that note, I was always confused as to why she never worked at the Roscoe's garage, when she is a qualified mechanic. Another missed opportunity for friendships to be mined.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I don't mind the twist at all. It's all believable enough. Like the actress playing Sally pointed out, once the episode that showed her having a picture of John Paul in her desk aired, this outcome was obvious. But all the potential of the story is ruined when you blaspheme my retinas pairing John Paul with that albatross named Scott. It seriously pains every part of me.

• Members

Kassius Nelson is destined for great things. She is constantly knocking it out of the park with her fantastic performances. It sounds macabre to say, but this teenage cancer love story is the best part of the show at the minute. It certainly picked up the reigns from Cleo's grooming plot at just the right time.

I really hope I was hasty in fearing that John Paul would be paired with Scott. It seems he was happy to have dodged a bullet. Here's hoping he and James have chemistry when they eventually meet. I love that James was attracted to Scott initially, until he opened his mouth and soon became horrified at the thought. 

Since Emily Gascoyne wrote this episode, I wonder if the show would overcome Kirkwood's limitations if she were in charge and not just a series producer. It would at least up the chances of Chris Fountain returning.

• Members

Talk about a pointless death and turning a viable character into a killer, if the other character indeed dies. I enjoy the show tremendously but still... I just don't see the drama in killing off a tenth character within six months to watch people (we barely know to boot) grieve for two days and then forget about it. The way Ziggy's death was handled still makes me roll my eyes, and I didn't even care about the guy.
So both Robbie & Jason are gone for good? And there's a new clan being introduced already apparently.
I look forward to Frankie returning, thanks for the info. I didn't realize she'd been gone that long!

• Members

I completely agree with you. Ziggy's death was the strangest thing. Comparing it to everything they did for Freddie shortly before, when the audience knew he wasn't dead the whole time, it was almost like the show couldn't wait to get rid of him. Of course, it also was in addition to ruining Cameron, who was one of the great new additions. I'll always be pissed about how they tarnished his character practically overnight. And how they threw away Lockie, too. And Phoebe. I'd say Dylan too, but I truly feel like the show really was surprised when he bolted so I give them some leeway there.

Rachel being killed off is another horrendous choice. I genuinely enjoy all the Nightingales, and she could have easily fit into the fabric of the show since they said she was teacher. Have her, John Paul, and Nancy all become good mates. I still seethe at the destruction they did to the John Paul/Nancy friendship. And now Nancy or John Paul don't have any real friends at all ... but that has always been Kirkwood's biggest failure, genuine friendships, which should be the foundation of Hollyoaks.

As happy as I am that Holly is being treated as the leading character she should be, with Amanda Clapham being a fantastic actress, it's a shame they had to add her to the suffocating list of killers on the show. Still, sometimes I try and picture Wallis Day (the previous Holly) in these strong dramatic stories, and I laugh. We really got lucky on that score. Plus, Kirkwood's love of Cindy, the only producer who has made her a prominent, multi-layered character since she returned by his pen, is another huge plus for him.

Liam Donovan, the new playboy character, is not even remotely attractive. Tegan and Celine going from complete studs like Ziggy and Cameron to this wankstain is the biggest come down I've ever seen. Of course, he can't act worth a lick either.

The serial killer story since the reveal has dragged a bit at times, but I'm still really enjoying it. With Lindsey gone in a few weeks time, I can't wait for the outcome. We also have the great double cancer/love story with Alfie/Jade, and the Lovedays have been a strong presence since their arrival. So just like the last few years, a few strong bits, a few bad bits, mixed with Kirkwood's constant maddening approach to things. I enjoyed 2015 much more than EastEnders and Corrie so I think 2016 will hopefully be at least as good, with the usual complaints along the way.

Edited by Bright Eyes

• Members

Great work by the Nightingales today. Queen Marnie and James have been added to the opening. Joanne too, but I'm not sure what they can do with her, she's by far the weakest link in the Loveday family, although she's grown on me recently. I've seen a casting spoiler about the Lovedays and I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out.
I'll miss Lindsey. Sophie Austin has been fantastic. I hope Lindsey actually pays for her crimes, unlike Silas. That reminds me of the previous Lynsey whom I really liked and thought it was stupid to kill off. I haven't really agreed with some of the murders, Charles brought both comic relief and depth I thought, Dylan was promising.
When Jack gave a tour of the city to the Nightingales they made fun of all the deaths. If only they knew. I just hope they and the Lovedays don't go the way of so many families before, like the Costello's. What did you think of them? I remember they were brought on in great fanfare then were all written off quickly. Two of them are dead too, good lord. Why would anyone move into the Dog's is beyond me.
I find Liam slightly good-looking although his intro is a bit like Dodger's (IIRC). I suppose some light stuff is a good balance for all the drama.
Freddie/Marnie are a more interesting move than he & Ellie but we can see where this is going.
I feel like the writers thought that having Rachel not die from the crash but from its consequences is a way to let Holly go scott free but it's still the same to me. It's a silly move which Holly will never live down.