HBO: True Blood

EricMontreal22

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Eric, is Thomas doing the opening music again?

I always wanted to know which instruments did he employ for SFU's opening and whether he orchestrated it or was it Thomas Pasatieri. That reedy woodwind or whatever it is is bugging me... :D

• Members

Actually, this is one of those shows you really, really want to like, but you just can't. Like Dirty Sexy Money or Pushing Daisies. PD is maybe the best example because TB and PD share one thing: I just can't get over the premise. It won't matter if the writing is going to be great — and here by all accounts, it won't — I just won't like it.

• Members

I'm going to be checking it out but they are airing this show opposite Showtime's Dexter which is best current show on television IMO so I will be forced to DVR True Blood. NOTHING trumps Dexter. I'm wondering if it was a conscious decision for HBO to air the show by the SFU creator against the show starring a SFU actor?

The reviews in the comment section for E!Online are not encouraging and the clip that is posted there doesn't grab attention but I can't condemn a show right out of the gate. Sometimes a show needs a couple of episodes to work out the kinks.

• Members

Hrmm I actually agree with you on Pushing Daisies (a show I really want to like but realized, after getting thru 5 eps or so that even Ellen Greene wasn't keeping me really intereste din it and I was wtaching onlyc uz I felt I should).

It's odd though--everyone I knwo who's seen the original pilot of True Blood has loved it. I wonder if it's been changed much>? Futon Critic didn't like the tonal changes from scene to scene in the show--this migth be something not seen in a show since Joss Whedon's work--so I get that, but...

• Members

Well like Six Feet Under this has really divided critics. The metascore is 62% which sounds worse than it is if you consdier most of the reviews are REALLY good or really poor--little in the middle (and some of the worse reviews seem to think it's a show that's so bad it's good lol "It’s not surprising that Ball gets the mixture wrong a fair amount of the time; what’s surprising is that it’s possible for such a strange gumbo to work at least some of the time. " and "Appetizingly pulpy and yet not at all crass, the series presents a new angle on the phenomenon of shows-so-bad-that-they're-good: It sucks hard and thus plays very well. ). http://www.metacritic.com/tv/shows/trueblood

I still love it and can't wait for more--interesting the positive reviews tend to be from thos ewho have seen more than the first 2-3 eps--into the first 6 and who say it takes a while to get going--interestign as I and most peopel I've talked to online (who've actually watched it) have loved the pilot.

Archived