2008 BRITISH Soap Awards Montage

DaytimeFan

• Members

It seems like a vicious cycle. If soaps were on later then more people would watch then they would put more money into production values and writing then people wouldn't think soaps were cheesy anymore then more people would watch soaps.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Congratulations Y&RWorldTurner.

WE HAVE NEW CONVERTS!

Just over 2 years ago, Hollyoaks was essentially the 'joke' of the British Soap Industry, with it's poor actors and nothing stories.

Then it all changed when Bryan Kirkwoord, a former Story Editor (you could call it a british version of Associate Head Writer) from Coronation Street (he was the SE during the Richard Hillman story as well as the well received Todd/Karl story, etc) was drafted in.

Two years later... well, you're seeing what the show is now.

And he's clearly having a blast. If you believe what you hear, apparently, when Steve Frost said he was leaving Coronation Street, ITV put a call to Bryan Kirkwood and he said no.

• Administrator

Thanks for posting this, Alvin! That was really good! I was almost in tears and I don't even know these people. What got me was that little kid playing Tom. He's such a good young actor. And then Steph running to Max. :(

I hope crumpetsandjam keeps on posting full episodes.

So what days does it air? Not 5 days a week, right?

• Administrator

So it is Monday-Friday? Ah okay, thanks!

So Eastenders is good? I might start watching it now that I found out Gemma Bissix :wub: is on the show! Why did she leave HO? Did she leave to go to EE or was she fired?

Speaking of Eastenders, do you know the link to the "Christmas Day" episode from 2007? It looked really good from the clip I saw for Best Episode.

• Members

Well it is stating that September is when he starts air but someone on his site stated that he starts taping in July so maybe the pushed it up since they know how much everyone once him back and for them reconnect John Paul and Craig.

I cant get into Keiron and that storyline was weird because at one point you had John Paul stating I dont want to be in another relationship that was full of secrets and that was what he was doing but it will be good to see how he reacts when he does see Craig.

• Members

Well I am another American who fell inlove with the way stories were being told and I have to say a big thanks to Y&RWorldTurner too because if it was not for their John Paul and Craig beautiful banner I would have never fell inlove with their storyline and became a junkie. LOL

• Members

Oooh...good point. American nets gave away the time between 4 pm and 8 pm (ET).

Good thing affiliates are going to die (IMO). They cannot survive in this cable universe, and nets are gonna want more revenue percentage and ad time (by going it alone). Affiliates will become independents that do local news and syndicated crap.

I think we now have the stage for re-invention!

When the nets finally get the 4-8 pm slot to fill, they'll consider the next generation of soaps. These will be, I predict, less frequent, more telenovela. A good telenovela can come back season after season with "next books".

• Members

I'm so happy for EastEnders winning! It's my all-time favorite soap -- so much so, I shell out $9.95 a month to watch it and have been for years! You wouldn't catch me paying to watch any US soap. But EE is worth every penny.

• Members

If we are comparing production values:

Sturm der Liebe German soap airs at 2pm. Ratings up to 3 million viewers.

Verbotene Liebe airs at 6pm. Focuses on aristocrats and castles and the like. Also have a gay couple with a storyline.

Alles Was Zählt airs at 7pm. Focuses on ice skating. Has a professional ice skater as the main heroine and has fairly professionally shot ice dancing scenes.

• Members

Yup, Corrie is my all-time favourite soap, but it's so damn boring and stale these days that I'm not interested. How coincidental, the #1 UK soap and the #1 US daytime soap are so damn boring at the moment and have been for a while.

I must say, EastEnders has gotten substantially better too, it had a few really bad years IMO, but 2007 and 2008 seem really good.

Not that it would happen, but I'd love it if Kirkwood went to Corrie, but I'm afraid of what it would do to Hollyoaks.

• Members

I loved that whole exchange between Max, OB, and Tom.

Some of this dialogue might be in the wrong place, but whatever. :lol:

::Max is on the street bleeding to death::

Max: I love you OB.

OB: Don't be gay Max, you'll be fine. ::in tears::

Max: Tell Steph that today was the best day of my life. :( <---- That really got me.

OB: No, you'll tell her youself when you see her and what I am gonna do without my best mate?

Tom: Make him wake up, OB! Make him wake up! ::Tom cries and rests his face on Max's stomach::

::Steph rushes in::

Archived