EricMontreal22

Where the Heart Is 1969-1973

It's good to read your thoughts.

I've read about the Jardins but remember so little of their story or history. Actually hearing them was startling...especially Barbara Baxley. 

I believe that Paul Avilla Mayer was already a writer of Where the Heart Is when Claire Labine began writing.   They soon became partners and were the new headwriters of the show.   Ms. Labine had begun writing for television on the Captain Kangaroo program.

She has passed away.  Her death was announced yesterday.

Here is audio from various daytime programs from March 7, 1973, including the opening and closing theme of WTHI just prior to its final airing. Other soaps are included, but I figured WTHI is the one we have the very least information/artifacts from, so I posted here.

All of the soaps still using organ music in this clip really highlights how huge and different Y&R was when it debuted at the end of this month. All of the CBS soaps still sounded like they had 20 years earlier, and here comes Y&R with its pop/soft rock score. I also love how rich and full that OLTL theme is at the end - might this be a slight rearrangement from the earlier years of that theme?

Edited by All My Shadows

I read in an old soap book about a blooper James Mitchell made on this show. It was at a big dinner scene where his character was supposed to toast his sister (played by Diana van der Vlis), "Happy birthday, Kate!" Instead, he goofed and said, "Merry Christmas, Kate!" The show was done live to tape, and didn't reshoot the scene.