• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

It's funny. Reading about the Carly / Paul / Ava story, it never seemed all that interesting. A lot of common plot devices (sisterly rivalry, mobsters, paralysis, a long lost child, etc.), but the story is so well done. For example, that scene with Kate and Carly talking about life after Paul where Carly admits her interest in Clay Alden. This was really well done. Kate easily could have focused on just how evil Clay was and the entire history between Clay and Ava, which would have been relevant. Instead, Kate's concern was about Carly moving on so quickly especially after saying she dreamed, up until recently, about Paul dumping Ava to be with her. And how honest was the moment where Kate apologized to Carly for letting her be the child Kate thought could take care of themselves? 

The relationships are just so rich. It would have been easily to play up the rivalry between Ava and Carly. Instead, Ava and Carly have a more layered dynamic. That scene from the end of the first episode with Reggie Rabbit could have easily been silly, but, it was meaningful, especially in the next episode where Paul tells Ava he'll give up his lifestyle to be with her. You could see Ava thinking back to the promise she made her sister, while only moments earlier being thrilled that she could have that happily ever after. 

I also loved the Dane / Clay / Gwyn scenes even if I'm not overly thrilled with Elizabeth Savage as Gwyn. Dane playing Clay in that scene was brilliantly done. Gwyn and Dane are an interesting couple. I wasn't completely clear about what was happening with Dane and Jack, but that's a dynamic I'm interested in. Unfortunately, I don't think it is something that is ever really developed or utilized enough as well it could be.

Here's an August 1992 episode. It's incomplete, but it's interesting because some of this material I believe has been online (the haunted house storyline). It's nice to see what the canvas looked like at this time post-Addie Walsh, pre-Taggert/Guza when Haidee Granger was leading the way. Such another shift tonally in an alternate direction. 

Beware. This is certainly not "Loving" of 1991. 

• Members

That scene with the rabbit should have mostly just felt cheesy, but the actress added so much heart and sincerity, especially Lisa Peluso. Her work as Ava always fascinates me, particularly when they let Ava be vulnerable.

Were the writers who wrote the Stacey and Jack honeymoon stuff the same ones who had him sleep with (or nearly) Dinah Lee? They seem to be focusing so much on his great love and attraction for Stacey.