Loving/The City Discussion Thread

• Members

I had no idea that Jessica Collins and the guy who played Trucker were married at one point. I'm surprised that Tyler never popped up again in daytime at any point in time. 

I knew I had gotten Collins and Rebecca Gayheart confused six years ago during the Avery hiring on Y&R when I commented Collins has mulled down a child while high on pills but if I recall right that was actually Gayheart.  

I love seeing anything Loving really, its been so long since I remember watching the soap but overall it was the only ABC soap I actually liked watching in the early 90s this coming from a loyal Bell/Corday/P&G soap fan.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Didn't Agnes Nixon own the show outright (and not ABC)? It makes you wonder why she didn't seem to have a tighter grip on it or maybe fought harder for better consistency with its production/writing. 

It's a a very strange show overall due to the constant identity changes, that's for sure. 

• Members

Did she have much direction at these shows? B/c I was always under the impression that she did until about the mid 90s when network interference became bad.

I'm gonna be honest, but I've always got the impression that All My Children was Agnes' primary concern and OLTL & Loving were like the ugly stepchildren. I think she cared about them to some extent but not as much as AMC. I find it so odd b/c she was a protege of Irna's, who was heavily involved in all her creations' direction until she passed away. Her peer, Brad Bell, was heavily involved in both of his creations until he was unable to, but he left the show to his proteges. Why didn't Agnes do the same? I think Loving and OLTL are the shows that desperately needed her direction, or at least have her proteges at the helm of them. Why wasn't Winsor Washam, Lorraine Broderick, Victor Miller, or even Megan McTavish ever appointed to Loving? They know her tone better than anyone. Why not have proteges run this show? 

• Members

Maybe she had more affection for All My Children 

I think Loving would've been different under her protégées. 

I remember reading somewhere that in the early 2000s Agnes was named as a Consultant for all the soaps.

So basically Loving was the ABC soap opera version of land of misfit toys

• Members

Agnes at least did train Gordon Russell to take over the HW duties at OLTL when she left to focus on AMC. Loving just seemed to float in and out of different regimes every few months (Agnes herself did come back at one point).

To be fair to ABC, they did give this show a lot of chances to catch on and it probably lasted way longer than it needed to given its ratings in relation to other soaps at the time. The fact that they kept it around for as long as they did was probably due to their relationship with Nixon.