Soap Opera Background Music Thread

• Members

the music is cool...I'm moved by that beautifully written scene more....

ETA: You people are killing me. Those GH clips, that Days clip....great actors, lots of locations, beautiful music, and storylines that--AT A GLANCE--made me feel something and hooked me in.

Don't ever post these clips again please :-). It's like looking at that aging relative (a metaphor I keep using), and seeing how much they have lost compared to how they used to be. I can scarcely bear to look.

Edited by MarkH

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Oh, I love Marty. :D But, Toups, I'm surprised!! How come you pay attention to music? I didn't know you had a thing for it!

I'm impartial and think that B&B has magnificent music. With Y&R coming a very close second. B) I especially like that mysterious woodwind music, I think it's an oboe... Though I'm not 100% sure.

Edited by Sylph

• Members

I had noticed the background music (instrumental cues) too being so pretty and really just made the scenes come together on AMC. Now I know why! Marty Davich is absolutely the best. His music is so pretty. I loved when he was on Days. He was the best at Days. He was even a character on there, using his name Marty. He played the piano at Doug's Place all the time. I wish he would come back to DAYS as well.

Oh watching those Days clips of when Roman first "died" and Bo talking to him on the beach, just took me back to a time when writers knew how to write a great story using location and all characters on the canvas. Everything tied together wonderfully. Then I went to YOUTUBE and watched the scenes from Belle's Baptism to hear more of Marty's music. Those scenes with Deidre Hall and Wayne Northrop are pure gold and EMMY WORTHY material. It upsets me that back then when DAYS actors and actresses pulled off such great acting through the material they had, that they were not acknowledged or recognized. I was feeling for Roman as he went off on Marlena and I was feeling for Marlena when she was trying to explain and plead with Roman about how much she loves him and will do whatever it takes to save their marriage. They are both outstanding actors and both of them deserved Emmy wins that year! That's my little rant!

• Administrator

You didn't? LOL I've been raving about Marty Davich for years now. :) Yeah, I pay attention to the music. I love background music. I download tv/film scores that I love. :)

I think B&B has one of the worse BG music. I hate the saxaphone cues especially. B&B's music is so cheesy. There's nothing beautiful or sad or haunting or dramatic. It's just.....horrible. LOL

Y&R's very good with the drama and tension and suspense.

It's hard to believe B&B/Y&R share the same composers. They're so good at one show while sucking at another show.

• Members

Next to acting and writing, background music to me is what makes a film or television show. I am glad to know so many others take notice of it. AMC's background music has been amazing as of late.

In terms of the best in daytime, the classic Y&R scores stand out for me.

• Members

Oh, I collect film scores, too! Look at that! :D

(Just a tiny note before the rest: the mysterious woodwind is from B&B.) And I don't find it cheesy, not one single bit.

I actually found your piano cue corny. :P

I guess one more thing we disagree on! :lol: There's just nothing, nothing I agree with you on, is there? :lol:

• Administrator

Since there are more composers, of course Marty's doing a handful of themes. The ones i really noticed are the piano cues. They sound a lot like Marty's.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355">

• Members

I knew I loved you guys at this board. I thought I was the only freak that loved the background music on the soaps and other TV shows. When I started watching AMC back in November that was one of the things that made me fall in love with the show. It reminded me of the score from Angels in America in a strange sort of way. You guys rock.

• Members

Wow, powerful scene. I don't watch GH so I need some help. What happened to him? You're right, the background music is great! I wonder if he did any work for ATWT from 2000-2004? That music was breathtaking.

Edited by sema608