Y&RWorldTurner

Ryan's Hope Discussion Thread

On 9/7/2019 at 12:43 PM, Chris 2 said:

We used to watch “Family” when I was younger, and it fascinates me to this today, because virtually every character, with the exception of Buddy (Kristy McNichol) was unlikeable.

This episode confuses me for two reasons: I don’t understand why ex-son-in-law Jeff is hanging around the family years after he divorced daughter Nancy (who doesn’t seem to be in this episode). And Kate Lawrence isn’t exactly the type that a young man would have a crush on.

I had already started my own family when the show first began and didn't watch the original airing. I do recall catching a couple episodes when it went into reruns. Never saw this one.

I don't know about Jeff but I agree about Kate. I was hoping Michael J. Fox would have had a scene - or just a few words - with Meredith Baxter. In some mixed up TV universe, Kate would be Alex P. Keaton's grandmother.

While watching Ilene, I kept thinking how much this was not anything close to her dream of prime time comedy success that she left Ryan's Hope to find. Not even her character's weird name.

Edited by safe

On 9/10/2019 at 9:20 AM, DRW50 said:

Is this Faith Catlin in the Mr. Clean ad around 2 minutes in?

Very similar,   but I don't think so. The chin looks different to me

Edited by safe

Catherine Latson was the judge on HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER last night. I don’t think I’ve seen her in over 30 years since she played Lizzie. 

Edited by antmunoz
Misspelling

12 hours ago, antmunoz said:

Catherine Dent was the judge on HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER last night. I don’t think I’ve seen her in over 30 years since she played Lizzie. 

I didn't realize Catherine Dent was on RH. When was that and what was her Lizzie story? I am only (a little) familiar with Catherine Larson's Lizzie.

Edited by safe

On 8/19/2019 at 7:22 PM, safe said:

In the early 2000's, Mary Carney's (Mary #2) husband, Mike Houlihan, sued Malachy McCourt (Kevin) and his brother

‘TIS THE MCCOURT BROTHERS’ LIFE STORY, JUDGE RULES
By Keith J. Kelly 

August 5, 2002

Frank and Malachy McCourt – this is your life.

A federal district court judge in Chicago has tossed out a legal challenge by a Chicago-based actor, playwright and theater producer who claimed he was owed 40 percent of the profits from the Irish brothers’ bestselling books and a movie.

Frank McCourt’s 1997 Pulitzer Prize-winning memoir “Angela’s Ashes” – which was made into a movie of the same name – has sold more than 4 million copies and spawned a bestselling sequel, “‘Tis.” Younger brother Malachy’s memoir, “A Monk Swimming,” about life in Ireland and the United States, also hit bestseller lists when it appeared in 1998.

At the center of the dispute was a two-man play, “A Couple of Blaguards” in which the two brothers acted out scenes of growing up dirt poor in Ireland and sang songs from their hard-scrabble youth – laughing through all their anguish.

The brothers first staged the show on their own in New York in the early 1980s. In 1984, they signed an agreement with Michael Houlihan, a Chicago-based playwright and producer, who raised $20,750 and put the play on for about a year in that city.

Houlihan’s suit claimed an agreement signed at that time gave him rights to royalties from the play and any “subsidiary” works for 15 years. Since the books drew on the same boyhood memories as the play, he felt he was entitled to the royalties from the books, which have earned millions.

But Chicago federal district court judge Ronald Guzman thought otherwise.

“This court cannot endorse the idea that granting rights to one incarnation of part of a life story automatically grants away rights to all conceivable tellings of that life story,” ruled Judge Guzman in a 15-page decision handed down last week.

Said Malachy McCourt, “I feel that Abraham Lincoln did not die in vain and the 13th amendment to the Constitution is fully effective. Greed is on the way out.”

Houlihan could not be reached. His Chicago-based attorney, Ed Scanlon, could not be reached by press time.

At the time the brothers first mounted the play, Frank was a school teacher at Stuyvesant High, and Malachy was an actor and owner of the Bells of Hell pub in Greenwich Village.

Frank McCourt is now a full-time writer. Malachy, who is still acting, has been frequently called on to play an Irish priest in soaps and in the movie, “The Devil’s Own.”

The play was rarely performed between the mid-1980s and the arrival of the McCourts on the literary forefront in the late 1990s.

Ouch. I never knew that.

On 9/10/2019 at 10:20 AM, DRW50 said:

Is this Faith Catlin in the Mr. Clean ad around 2 minutes in?

No, that's not Faith Catlin, but it is a young Diane Keaton in the Hour After Hour commercial at 1:30. And Dagne Crane from ATWT is in the screen cap.

The recent discussion of Kentucky Bluebird on the SFt thread reminded of Jill Coleridge's rock star beau who wound up being euthanized.  Wasn't his name George?  Can someone fill in the details? 

He was named Ken George Jones, and he was played by Trent Jones.    Mr. Jones also wrote some music for Ryan's Hope as well as later writing for the show.

23 hours ago, danfling said:

He was named Ken George Jones, and he was played by Trent Jones.    Mr. Jones also wrote some music for Ryan's Hope as well as later writing for the show.

Yes, he wrote some of Ken George Jones' songs himself. After RH, he wrote for many other soaps - eventually becoming co-headwriter of Y&R.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trent_Jones

Edited by amybrickwallace