Ryan's Hope Discussion Thread

• Members

I never knew that. That's fascinating. 

The opening also felt somewhat out of date with what the show had become - that and it was slowly cut to pieces from the larger opening that they had to stop using most of I think after Kate Mulgrew left (the first changes were when Faith Catlin left). 

I kind of liked the new opening, even though it didn't seem right having strangers (for a long time I was sure at least one or two of them were cast members - I thought I saw Jill at one point). The 1983 opening with the cast was very nice. Sadly after that it became cheaper and cheaper - I seem to remember an annoying "tweeting birds" sound added as well.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yes, I remember reading that story about Barrow wanting to be paid for appearing in the opening. Still, if I were in charge, I would have simply dropped him and just used everyone else. Or perhaps made a few different openings, only one with Johnny Ryan which could be shown when Barrow was actually going to appear on that day.

The "anonymous strangers" were off-putting.

James Arness (GUNSMOKE) once said that the extra they used in the initial opening for that show (the man seen in the distance for a brief second before Marshall Dillon shoots him) also demanded additional payment for appearing in the opeing footage, and the show simply replaced him. That's the way to go if TPTB refuse to cough up the extra cash, IMHO.

When it premiered, DARK SHADOWS had Alexandra Moltke (Vicki) narrate the beginning of every episode. ("My name is Victoria Winters...."), but when the producers wanted to save money and not pay her for episodes in which she did not actually appear, they simply had other actors, those who WOULD be featured in that particular episode, narrate the prologue instead.

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

That would have been a good idea.

They must have really felt no one would ever find out about  Bernard Barrow's additional money.

Faith Catlin last appeared in May (1976) however they did not change the opening until November (1976). Faith Catlin's picnic opening scenes were seen through all of Nancy Barrett's run and (approx) the first 7 weeks of Catherine Hicks' run. Since neither Nancy or Catherine received “the role of Faith Coleridge is now being played by...” voice-over introduction – and also Faith Catlin still in the opening -- I wonder if some of the viewers expected her to return to the role any day.

It wasn't until the Michael Hawkins' (Frank #1) final episode (the following episode Andrew Robinson** took over) that the show returned to the original opening* with only Johnny, Maeve, and Little John twirling around in the park.

*The opening with the picnic scenes began around episode #20.

**Andrew Robinson received the first VO intro.

Edited by safe

• Members

I am curious to know what they would pay an actor for using him in a pre-taped opening, in which he had no lines and did not have to do any additional work. Or when they only showed his face in a still photograph. Surely not the equivalent of a new, first-run episode in which he spoke reams of dialogue.

I used to wonder the same thing watching LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE. That show would often have weddings or funerals or other church services, in which several regular actors would appear silently in the background for only a few moments during those group scenes. They might be on camera for thirty seconds, and never speak.

Of course they would be paid, but the same salary as in a regular episode when they had 45 pages of dialogue? Pr would there be some sort of pay-scale adjustment?

Edited by vetsoapfan