Ryan's Hope Discussion Thread

• Members

Even with all the changes the core of RH remains fairly intact until Kim eats the show (which is roughly around the time SF exits).

Where RH really begins to lose itself is after something happens to a certain character in Kim's orbit. After that the show becomes a bad imitation of GH.

Edited by DeeeDee

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I completely agree about Maroney - I do not enjoy her as an actress at all. I felt the same way about Ilene, too. I couldn't stand her acting as Delia, but I loved the character. I feel the same way about Kimberly. I freaking LOVE that character. Well, I love to HATE that character is how I should put it. Part of my continued tuning in is "Ooooooo, what kind of trouble is Kimberly going to get into/stir up today??!!!"  Especially because, at least as of August 1980, she mostly causes trouble for Rae and Senaca, two people who DESPERATELY needed to be taken down a notch or 750, imo. 

Thanks for the info. Now, I'm curious about it. HAHA! Maybe, by the time I get through the SoapNet run, other episodes will have found their way to YouTube!

• Members

Ah, Tom. What a useless character. His death is still one of the more shocking moments that has stuck with me to this day. (Granted, I first saw it 2 years ago.) Does Roger ever see any consequence of killing him? Rae got her comeuppance but I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop for Roger. Does the series just ignore it from here on out?

• Members

I just watched Episode 1328. WOW! Those scenes between Jill and Faith could be used in acting classes. Faith really let. her. HAVE IT!!! I'm gonna have to watch that again. Jill certainly gives it back to Faith regarding her alcoholism. After Faith defiantly pours herself a glass of scotch and guzzles it, Jill crosses the room and pours her another, BIGGER, glass. Amazing. Everything is on all cylinders - the writing, the direction, the acting. Bravo, Ryan's Hope, Bravo.

And now Delia suspects about Barry and Lily. Thank God! I was worried they were going to end up getting married. I doubt Barry will get out of it - Delia is too clever these days. She's starting to put it together. I like where this all is going! Now onto Another World 1989 while I exercise.  

• Members

I prefer it to the last one - just Maeve and John with little Johnnie Ryan (who is much older than that at this point) in Sheep's Meadow.  But I think it mostly has to do with the fact that I like the updated theme tune, not necessarily all of the shots of perceived NYC life.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'll watch this later, but Faith upset with Jill because Frank was still in love with Jill?  As I recall, everyone and their mother told Faith not to get involved with Frank including Jill.  They knew she would be hurt.  Faith was too busy listening to womanizing Frank.  Jill never went near Frank so Faith had no right to be upset with her.  Frank tells Faith he's still in love with Jill and Faith is mad at Jill?  Huh?  So many reasons Jill should have been mad at Faith but she took the high road.  That really turned me off to Faith and KMG was my fav Faith!  

For me, Ilene was better skilled as a vixen than KM.  Ilene was born to play Delia, and even though I loved RE, Ilene was Delia.  I don't know what it was but I absolutely loved to hate Delia and hated when she wasn't onscreen.  I hated when she got over on everyone and loved it at the same time.  Kim was just a fungus who ate the show whole.  Putting Seneca with her was like a knife in my heart.  A huge knife.  A huge knife with jagged edges!  Just a horror show with that girl as the center.  

Edited by ChitHappens

• Members

The faith/frank/Jill triangle signalled to me that it was probably best Labine was burned out.  It was plot driven and totally undercut the Faith character.  I still recall one scene where Jill said she was done pretending she was ok being in the same room with them...she knew that she said she could..but she real8zed it was a pipe dream.  I always thought Jill was too good for Frank though Seneca wasnt any better for her.  It was a crime that foe about 18 m9nths while Frank was off the canvas that she hardly did anything of substance...as if the show viewed Jill as not complete with Frank in the picture.

Delia played by RE was almost a different character...more ditzy yet resourceful in an odd way.  I liked how Taggert wrote Delia before Labine came back and tied her back to roger...her dysfunctional abuser.

• Members

Not to me, as Jill never returned Frank's affection, but it still mostly seemed to be sold as one.

I hated the story and it also made me absolutely despise Faith. As I'd grown to despise Roger by this point as well it meant that wide swathes of the show were becoming unwatchable to me by 1981.