Dynasty Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Did they ever say who raped Sable and was Monica and Miles' father? It wasn't Philip was it? No, I don't think so. But at any rate, that little factoid resolved the twins being involved with their cousins which everyone seemed to get all indignant about (Jeff and Monica being first cousins), yet no one said anything earlier about Jeff/Miles and Fallon. Their mothers were first cousins.

Edited by SFK

• Members

I'm currently in the middle of season two, first time watching. I believe Krystle just lost her baby.

My thoughts for now: Corley is doing great as Steven, I'm afraid of the recast even though it's inevitable. Collins really adds something to the show, but its still the very beginning of her run. I am very happy that Matthew, Lindsay, Michael and Walter were written out of the show. I do like Claudia to some extent, but at the moment they don't seem to know what to do with her. And oh yeah- I don't like Sammy Jo one bit.

• Members

You guys remember Leslie Carrington? She was defiently one of the worst characters if not the worst. I downright hated her and found her beyond annoying and despicable

WHAT! Sammi Jo rocks. Hands down one of the best characters on Dynasty. Enjoy her now while she's bad and fun bc she eventually goes soft and gets redeemed. She mad the perfect little gold digging biyatch in the beginning

Edited by Cheap21

• Members

I guess I'm not at that point yet. She only just came to the show and Steven rode a car for her; that's pretty much it. I still have more than half of the season to go through. But I'm enjoying it.

• Members

:o :o :o

Sammy Jo is great for the first few years. She is so trashy and lacking in anything refined or cultured. There is some episode somewhere where after trying to be haughty and on her high horse, she demands a ham sandwich I think. You gotta love it. Plus, I love that little theme song she has that plays whenever she appears. :lol:

They ruined her midway through the show when they softened her up. I guess they figured she had been rotten to so many people if she didn't start making nice there would be no realistic way to have anyone continue to talk to her.

Sammy Jo is easily top 5 Dynasty characters for me.

• Members

I belevie it was season 6. The Rita mess was the last real rotten thing she did. After that, I think the writers felt they kinda had to redeem her or write her out. She spent the rest of the season trying to make ammends and she got into that triangle with Amanda and Clay and by season 7, she was one of the show's heroines going from romantic pairing to the next. I did like her with Clay for the short bit that it lasted, but it was obvious her character was sizzling out. Im surprised she made it all the way to the end. Her rivalry with Fallon could have been intersted had they developed it more.

• Members

It could just happen to be a coincidence, but watching them both at the same time there is so much alike between the two, far beyond the name and looks. Their attitudes. Both are entitled, but not a raging bitch. There are a lot of sides to them. Amanda Corey is much softer, of course, but im also gonna assume that Amanda Carrington smooths out after a few months. She just slept with her mothers lover, and while Amanda Corey wouldnt do that, she would try just about anything to break Rachel & Carl up. Motives are different, but still.. idk, i cant shake how alike they are (and i LOVE it)

I agree about the douchbagness, but i also feel that it was writtn that way. Steven was at times an ass. He was trying to be one thing whn he had an overwhelming desire to be who he was, and anyone going through that wouldnt be the nicest person all the time. I also onlky feel he was a douchbag when it came to protecting his sexuality and his family, very understandable.

The first steven was much more "gayer" but its obvious that dynasty couldnt go where they wanted to go because of the times. I like them equally actually. But Ac was def more attractive.

And WTF! Amanda goes from a classy, simi spoiled, brit bitch to this middle class lookin, kmart shopin, american girl? Fail.

I doubt the raise CO wanted was out of line.

[quote name='Cheap21' date='14 May 2010 - 01:52 PM' timestamp='1273870360' post='836809'

WHAT! Sammi Jo rocks. Hands down one of the best characters on Dynasty. Enjoy her now while she's bad and fun bc she eventually goes soft and gets redeemed. She mad the perfect little gold digging biyatch in the beginning

Jammy Jo, PSM's Fallon, Alexis, Amanda & Dom are my top 5, easily.

• Members

I LOVE the little leitmotifs that they use on this show. Every time they show an establishing shot of Alexis's penthouse, there's that little piece that they use that I think is so hilarious because it fits the tone of the character so well. And the Oriental-sounding La Mirage theme haha

• Members

Lol, totally, I always say to myself, "Meanwhile, at Alexis's penthouse..." :P

ETA: And at La Mirage, there's always that same Jaguar and red Cadillac Eldorado pulling up out front. :D

Edited by SFK

• Members

I think one of the things with Dynasty is all their breakout characters were introduced in the first few years of the show. After that they just kept on going with those characters, even as a number of them were noticeably diminished. If they'd continued bringing in fresh blood I wonder if the show might have kept more of their ratings. I thought bringing in Sable, and to a lesser degree, Monica, in the last season was a huge shot in the arm.

• Members

Oh definitely. Of course Stephanie Beacham could read an Applebee's menu and have us all riveted. Dynasty didn't seem to be too good at creating new characters as much as riffing on their core characters. A Sable, a Dominique, they work because of Alexis, not in spite of her. And I think the least successful Dynasty characters were those who were in any way "normal", generic, boring, which sounds like an obvious comment, but what might be forgiven as subtle or contained on another series was just bland on Dynasty. The two riffs on Krystle, Ashley and Frankie on The Colbys were two snoozes. Jeff's mom and woman were a lot alike, just like the ladies who played them, very similar careers as stunning brunettes in iconic films who never were the best actresses.

• Members

The show had some good ideas but never knew how to execute them. Stuff like Blake/Alexis running for office should have been gold.

I think they waited way too long to replace the showrunners. The showrunners in question focused too much on a big event, moreso than what would build that up. That had been done so much, that by the time the last 2-3 years of the show came around, I don't even think having the cast appear in Frankie Goes to Hollywood's "Welcome to the Pleasuredome" video would have been enough.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

IIts been said that the Massacre killed the show but I done beleive that. Season 6 was good in spite of it. Season 7 was decent and the Adam/Dana romance was the best thing about it. They had a great story arc, especially when Adam's parentage comes into question. I also liked the introduction of Caress, Alexis' sister. She had potential to be a good rival for her, but she didnt last too long and they didnt fully execute it.

Season 8, however was an outright mess. Jeff adn Fallon returned and for some reason they decided to follow through with the Colby finale which had Fallon abducted by a UFO. That was too campy adn ridiculous even for Dynasty. This season also featured alot of Leslie, who was downright horrible. I cant remember much else but Dana/Adam once again remain the strong point of it and probably are the only saving grace.

Season 9 was different. Much better than 8, but different. You can tell Dynasty was moving out of the 80s and into the 90s. The clothes, the style and the theme changed. It was inevitable. The show lost Krystal and Alexis only appeared part time. Its why Sable was brought in as a semi-replacement for the 2 and she fit in well. There was a season long mystery which was told effectively and if you've paid attention, its something that was first introduced going back to the beginning of the series. Emma Samms finally comes into her own as Fallon and she shines. Dynasty never got as good or big as it once was, but it ended on a high with good writing and intersting cliffhangers, which wont get resolved until the miniseries 2 years later