Sylph

Central Park West Discussion Thread

Um, was Marcy Walker considered for a role on Central Park West?  Marcy played Tangie Hill on the CBS soap Guiding Light in the mid-1990s.

Believe it or not, I actually met Mariel Hemingway at a bookstore event in 2007.  She was promoting her book Mariel Hemingway's Healthy Living from the Inside Out.  I wonder if Mariel has ever met Marcy in the flesh.

Mariel Hemingway left Central Park West after only 13 episodes.  As far as her career was concerned, was it already too late?  

Who thinks that Mariel would fare well on a daytime soap opera?

I heard that mariel quit because the show wanted to downgrade her from lead cast member to recurring.

Ironically..the show wad finding its footing when CBS yanked it...and retooled it to a bad version of Dynasty.

4 hours ago, Soaplovers said:

I heard that mariel quit because the show wanted to downgrade her from lead cast member to recurring.

Ironically..the show wad finding its footing when CBS yanked it...and retooled it to a bad version of Dynasty.

I remember reading an article where Mariel said that TPTB wanted her character on the show to have a new hairstyle and stuff like that.

dc11786   

Stephanie underwent a rather radical personality shift in the course of the first thirteen episodes. The pilot began with Stephanie as a fish out of water; a West Coast girl in a world of cunning East Coast wolves. Pitted against Madchen Amick's Carrie, Stephanie, nor Hemingway, stood much of a chance. I suspect the powers that be realized this early on which is why they introduced Kylie Travis as Rachel Dennis. Rachel and Carrie's relationship was complicated; they had been friends, Rachel wanted Carrie's JKJ Jr.-esque brother Peter, but they were able to unite against a common enemy, Stephanie. When Stephanie did try to step up her game, she failed. Her scheme to undermine Carrie producing Mark's play blew up in Stephanie's face. In the episodes that CBS didn't air, Stephanie finally played dirty and managed to thwart Rachel's advances at Communique by producing the Fashion Sucks! edition. This version of Stephanie seemed much more capable of playing down and dirty with the likes of Carrie and Rachel. In Stephanie's final scene, she delivers a rather insightful speech about becoming to hard and jaded and chooses Mark and her marriage over her career and manipulation.

If Hemingway had stayed, I suspect her role would have been minimized as the show was heading from the internal struggles of Communique to the battle between two media companies. If they had continued, I imagine Stephanie would have remained loyal to Allen, while Carrie would have sided with Brock to anger her (former) stepfather, and Rachel would have played whoever she had to to get ahead. Essentially, Stephanie was replaced by Noelle Beck's Jordan Tate, an editor with a romantic interest in Mark Merrill. If the show had continued, I imagine Jordan would have taken a position at Communique and this would have pitted her against Rachel and Carrie.

I don't think Hemingway was hurt by Central Park West. CBS had a rough year. Besides Hemingway, both Patricia Wettig and Mary Tyler Moore intended to leave their roles in new dramas, but both series were cancelled before their characters could be written out.

te.   

It was pretty obvious that CBS did a desperate retooling of the show - apparently Darren Star more or less admitted that he had the rug pulled from under his feet and basically had no control over those last eight episodes where Camille Marchetta took over and turned it into Dynasty.

They more or less wrote out several of the younger cast members - Stephanie (though Mariel used her exit option she had with the 13th episode), Peter, Alex (dead), Mark (dead) and even poor Nikki's resolution to her own storyline was cut out of the 14th episode in the US airings (I believe they cut in some Alex / Peter / Robin scenes instead) and she pretty much made a random appearance to have drinks with Carrie and that was it. She was most likely done too.

They had already commited to 22 episodes of CPW before it even aired as a way of enticing Darren to leave Fox - though they only produced 21 episodes; I assume one was cut to fund the revamp. Too bad it didn't work out and didn't get to see what Darren had planned originally (apparently the divorce trial between Allen / Linda was going to be a huge spectacle and not the wet fart it ended up being)

Edited by te.