Beverly Hills, 90210 Discussion Thread

• Members

I also wanted to say, Kelly's eating disorder has been very well handled so far. I really liked that it started so simply: Kelly talked about loving being at the spa and that she didn't feel self-conscious about her body, but then all it took was one careless, thoughtless individual to mention working on Kelly's "problem areas" and the seed was planted. For once, the character truly felt like a teenager. For the next few episodes, there have been subtle hints of Kelly avoiding food, eating very little, etc. Very good.

Really funny that you'd bring this up, since in the last couple of episodes I watched (Season 3), these were mentioned/addressed. In one episode, Donna called Brenda her best friend. I was like, huh? Granted, Brenda and Kelly weren't really on speaking terms at that time.

At some point, Donna found Dylan at the Peach Pit and I was stunned those two characters were alone in a scene. It felt like they hardly knew each other. In the latest episode I watched, someone mentioned Donna and Dylan having nothing in common. 

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

+1

It was so bizarre to hear Donna call Brenda her best friend. I mean ... no. Donna was always Kelly's bestie. Sure she and Brenda were friends but lawd. lol. And I always found the Donna/Dylan 'friendship' lacking but they had a few moments I think and I would have liked to have seen more.

Agreed completely on Val and Kelly being more like each other than they'd ever want to admit. I really loved their feud but I thought the initial beginning of it was a tad forced and contrived but overall they were so fun going back and forth with each other.

@YRBB Agreed that Kelly's eating disorder storyline was well done. For a while, 90210 and MP really could craft an entertaining and soapy storyline.

Also agreed that Season 5 of both shows had the cast isolated and it wasn't the same, also the casts started to become bloated.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Perry was pretty solid. I didn't love the Dylan alcoholic storyline in Season 5 (with characters tip toeing around him, refusing to call his ass out and berate him when he was verbally nasty towards them) but Perry acted the hell out of it. His performance after what happened to Toni also gutted me. Personally I think he's very underrated. He turned in some good work. I always felt he was a bit checked out when he came back to the show but he's still good.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

He certainly did. Perhaps being on a cheesy teen soap made people automatically dismiss the acting of the cast.

That is actually the very first episode of BH I ever saw as a kid and I still remember how heartbreaking it was. A lot of it was down to Perry.

• Members

Mindless critics have always been ignorant of the quality soaps (used to) produce. They assume that if it's part of a soap opera, it must be subpar, quality-wise. I was watching a classic ATWT episode once, when a neighbor came over. After watching with me for several minutes, he thought it was a stage play from Playhouse 90. HA! 

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Everything from Donna's disastrous prom, to the "Donna Martin graduates" and Commencement episodes was fantastic. There was something sweet and genuinely touching about the graduation. I felt they really allowed the audience to get nostalgic and grieve the end of the high school years and a show that's changing. Very well done.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Reverend Ann Gillespie (Jackie Taylor) has left her position as Senior Associate Rector at Christ Church of Alexandria in Virginia

Saying Goodbye is hard….and yet it’s vitally important to do
7 FEB 2018 | ANN GILLESPIE | GRATITUDECHANGECHRIST CHURCH

Somebody stood in line this past Sunday to tell me they wouldn’t be here for my final Sunday, and then said, “But I am not saying ‘Goodbye.’ I’m saying ‘See you around.’” It was hard even for her to look me in the eye. It’s true, we might bump into each other, he and I, but goodbyes are important and if we avoid them we miss out on something powerful.

Jesus thought saying Goodbye was so important, four chapters in the Gospel of John - in what we call the Farewell Discourse - are devoted to preparing the disciples for his absence. In that discourse, he instructs them to “love one another, as I have loved you” and then to carry that love out into the world.

We must feel all the feelings, the hard ones, the painful ones, the powerless ones along with the joyous and fun ones. We must acknowledge endings when they happen. When I leave Christ Church, it marks the end of a pastoral relationship. A pastoral relationship is unique. We were brought together by God (along with some help from Pierce and the search committee). When I was commissioned, it was my charge to love you and serve you to the best of my ability and to the glory of God. It was my charge to engage with you in ministry that would help bring in the reign of God. We have laughed together and we have cried together and we have made a difference in the world together. We have done it in the name and spirit of Christ and it is in that same way that we will say Goodbye. And God will lead me somewhere else where my pastoral gifts will be used and God will bring you new pastors. God is always in the middle of it and God is always making things new. But before they can be new, some things must die. And that is sad. “Blessed are those who mourn,” says Jesus in his first sermon.

We need to get good at saying goodbye. Loss – any loss - is to be felt fully and deeply because it expands our ability to love. When we accept that heartbreak is just part of this human experience, it actually makes the heart stronger and more flexible. And then we are able to love one another more fully and deeply and then take that love out into the world which so desperately needs it. Will it be hard? You bet. Will I feel lost without this community? Yes, for a while, I will. But the beloved community of Christ Church will go on being the beloved community and I will find other communities to love and serve.

Be well. Do God’s work. Have fun and feel all the feelings.

• Members

It seems that several people who were close to Aaron fell off the rails after he passed - Tori, of course, and Heather Locklear. On the other hand, Randy seems to be having a happy and healthy life out of Hollywood. Last I heard, he was working as a life coach and living in Oregon with his wife and young daughters.