• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Go "Guy Who Was Casted To Prove That We Aren't An Exclusively White Show"!

Speaking of race - does anyone remember the episode where Saint Donna went to a black neighbourhood and ordered pizza for the kids of that hard working mom and then gave her [!@#$%^&*] about being a hard worker?

Edited by te.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

(Reverend) Ann Gillespie (Jackie) reading parts of her recent Memoir and Personal essay for her MFA in Creative Non-Fiction

At approx. 
17:16 
Beverly Hills 90210 audition & other stories 

25:20 
Reprising  her 90210 role

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

OMG! Jack McKay's car just exploded. This is so early 90s MELROSE, I can't take it!

Please register in order to view this content

All joking aside, I think they have found a great balance between bland Beverly Hills (Cindy, Brenda, and Donna take a self-defense class) and exciting Melrose (fancy yachts, the yacht staff are evil, Jack dies in a car explosion!). Lots of fun. 

• Members

The show did have a nice balance for a while. The College Years became a tad annoying and started a slow decline, but I still enjoy every season overall (rewatching Season 5 now as it is airing on Pop and lawd Dylan the addict got on my nerves bad and until she emerged on her own, you could have crossed Val's name for Brenda with the whole insta Dylan relationship, it would have been great Brenda/Dylan angst). MP and 90210 had some truly SOLID soapy seasons in the middles of their runs.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Val didn't come into her own until season 6. I think this is due to the fact that the producers weren't sure if they'd keep her in the long run. There was a lot of speculation in the media back then that TAT would be fired at the end of season 5.

It's like they already had the first half of the 5th season planned before they knew SD would be leaving for good, and then they basically gave Brenda's storyline to Val with a few tweaks here and there. Val only got her claws out during the 2nd half of the season when she went after Ray, and even that storyline came out of nowhere (I liked it nevertheless).

• Members

I totally agree with the latter paragraph. It definitely seemed like that. I think the whole sex with Dylan while 'dating' Steve set the ground for her emergence (and started her shift) and not at all something Brenda would do.

Didn't know that about Tiffani Thiessen! Makes sense as early Val was definitely 'well this was for Brenda so let's cross her name out and call her Val'. I guess they saw the potential for a bitch because Kelly became an annoying nag (she annoyed me a lot in Season 5, immediately being suspicious of Val and being a nag about it, the Jackie/Erin model episode she was grating ...) and Thiessen sort of took off.

Watching Season 5 also keeps reminding me how much I hated how they wasted Carteris and Andrea and the whole Jesse/Andrea thing never did anything for me. Andrea/Brandon should have been the move in Season 5. Brandon/Kelly never did anything for me either.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Season 5 of 90210 and season 5 of Melrose Place were very similar in the respect that they isolated characters in their storylines and the group feeling went missing. People didn't hang out at the Peach Pit anymore, and if they went out to After Dark (where else would they be going?

Please register in order to view this content

) half of the gang was missing. Even when there was some group event, for example the Rolling Stones concert, everyone was busy doing their own thing instead of them enjoying the concert together.

I liked Kelly best between seasons 2 and 4 when she was fun and had some sort of conscience. However, I didn't mind her becoming a backstabbing, hypocritical, insecure baby-voiced low life in the later seasons because this is what the show needed at that point. Kelly and Valerie's feud was the most intense and interesting relationship the show had to offer – because deep down they knew they were so much alike, but would never admit that.

Speaking of relationships... what I found really weird was that Brenda called Donna "her best friend" shortly before leaving the series. I don't remember them ever having a meaningful conversation. Did Donna ever voice her opinion about Dylan being torn between Kelly and Brenda? I don't think so, and neither did Donna take sides for anyone.
Another "friendship" I didn't get was Donna and Dylan. Every scene only the two of them shared felt weird – thank God there weren't that many. There was one instance in early season 5 where Donna tried to convince Dylan to return to college and I was like "Okay, and why exactly should Dylan listen to your advice?"

Edited by Huntress

• Members

Whoa. "The Child is Father to the Man," the episode with Jack McKay's funeral, was a stunning classic. Who knew BH would make me cry?

I was recently thinking that Luke Perry was probably the show's best actor, and this episode proved it. Was he ever up for an Emmy? His performance in this episode would totally deserve it.

It was vert sweet to see the Walshes rally around Dylan and take him in. Kelly not knowing what to do and everything coming out wrong. David making the right choice. Heartwarming in a way Melrose couldn't (and probably shouldn't) be.

What a shocker that Christine works for the feds and that ending with Dylan comforting his 13 yo self was very, very touching. This is it, I don't think the show can ever top this.