Dallas: Top Ten Moments

Sylph

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

Is this show any good? And how would you compare it to Dynasty? I've recently started watching Dynasty, but I'm very interested in Dallas as well (and I'm mostly wondering because I will quickly run out of Dynasty episodes since only the first three seasons are available, and Dallas has almost all released).

• Members

Dallas is a little harder to get into than Dynasty is, IMO. DAL really gets complex and intricate with the business/politics stuff, and those elements have a huge effect on the more personal relationship stuff.

The episodes are more self-contained in the beginning of DAL, too. There are serialized elements, but most episodes have a plot line that comes to a climax within the episode and is only alluded to afterwards (Bobby's kidnapping, the Val/Gary drama, the ridiculous and pointless episode with the country singer, the prospect of Jock having an affair with Tina Louise, etc).

One thing I've sadly realized through watching these early episodes is that the Ewings are a very unlikeable family. JR does all of this evil sh!t, Bobby calls him out on it but when push comes to shove he's all about "family honor." Jock believes in everything JR does, and even though Miss Ellie knows right from wrong, she's another one who wouldn't dare risk losing "family honor" in the name of common decency. I could slap all of them once or twice. Sue Ellen, Lucy, and Pam are really the only sane ones in the house, which is sad.

• Members

You cannot go wrong with Dallas. Dynasty has some higher highs, but Dallas was just the better soap overall. The only thing with Dallas is it is not serialized at the start so you have to be willing to watch episodic for a year. I don't think it becomes truly serialized til the second full season.

• Members

I watched Dallas when I was growing up, but more the last seasons. I know the earlier stuff was better, but when I watch it, JR is just too omnipresent. I find JR to be an insufferable and not very entertaining character, he's no fun.

• Members

I think that's a common thing with the lead men in prime time soaps for the most part. They aren't fun.

But then you have the Michael Naders and the Thomas Colabros who are such fun to make up for them. It helps that the Naders and Colabros are usually paired with the Collins and Locklears who are also beyond fun.

• Members

That's true. I think that's another reason I don't enjoy Dallas as much as Dynasty or Knots. The men outside of JR, who is so cruel, are often very serious, and even the tragicomic Cliff Barnes is always such a loser that it can be tough to watch.

At least Dynasty had Adam, who could be very dryly funny, Falcon Crest had Richard, Knots had Richard, and Mac, and Greg.

Archived