dm.

Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

3 minutes ago, j swift said:

I would proffer that the Dash/Julia/Augusta story was even more offensive that Eden's rape.  Not that there should be a competition, but the Dash stuff is particularly tone deaf in retrospect.

Definitely. Louise Sorel will always have my undying respect for being willing to risk her job for speaking out.

5 minutes ago, j swift said:

I would proffer that the Dash/Julia/Augusta story was even more offensive that Eden's rape.  Not that there should be a competition, but the Dash stuff is particularly tone deaf in retrospect.

I agree with you there, but that storyline seems in keeping with daytime's obsession with turning rapists into anti-hero love interests. Although, the Dash storyline went overboard even for that. The Dash stuff was so unnecessary because Gibbs and Grahn had real chemistry. Why ruin it? It was so odd to me. I will never understand SB's obsession with rape storylines. While I'm glad Marcy Walker got her emmy, I could have done without the rape storyline. The identity of the rapist made it even more icky (being vague for those who may be watching the story on yt). Was there one female character on SB who was not raped?

I think we can add Kelly Capwell to the list of women who were never sexually assaulted in Santa Barbara.  She was kidnapped quite often, but never raped. 

Of course, given my Kelly-was-a-secret-serial-killer theory - i.e. most of the men she was coupled with (Nick, Pearl, Ric Castillo, Craig Hunt, and Justin Moore) "disappeared" from SB without a goodbye scene, she may have been more of a menace than a victim.

Edited by j swift

Actually, Kelly was forced into sex by her violent, delusional ex-fiance Peter Flint (aka the Carnation Killer). That was in early 1985 and he kidnapped her when she was on her honeymoon with Joe Perkins. Those scenes were very disturbing.

12 minutes ago, amybrickwallace said:

Actually, Kelly was forced into sex by her violent, delusional ex-fiance Peter Flint (aka the Carnation Killer). That was in early 1985 and he kidnapped her when she was on her honeymoon with Joe Perkins. Those scenes were very disturbing.

I beg to differ because she was "saved" prior to being raped and she was very specific about saying that in later scenes with Marcello. 

1 minute ago, amybrickwallace said:

I'm pretty sure that she did have to sleep with him while he held her hostage, but I haven't seen those scenes in a long time (mostly I remember her hideous pink nightgown). @Wendy, do you remember?

I went and read the French Santa Barbara site and it clarified that Kelly was raped, but Eden who had also been kidnapped by Peter was not raped ( sorry for the confusion)

I still think Kelly was doing something to drive those other guys out of town never to be mentioned again....

On 10/13/2019 at 10:10 AM, Donna B said:

I think I've seen this before. This time something stood out. Doris Hursley died around the time "Santa Barbara" was beginning and there was all this animosity between the first family and the second family of Frank Hursley, a lot of it with Bridget Dobson at the center. Also, Frank dies in 1989, which I believe was during the big fight NBC over control of the series. I wonder how this effected the writing. I know Mason, the product of the first marriage, is treated very well by the Dobsons and that Bridget had half-siblings from both her mother and her father. I am curious how much of this drama bled itself into the show's writing. 

On a different note, I noticed Eric James (the actor best known for playing Jimmy Boswell on "Bright Promise") commented on the article. The Boswell family also seems to be a complicated. In the episode descriptions I've seen, Jimmy was also in love with Ann Boyd, the woman his father Tom was seeing. The daughter Marion sounds a little bit like a daddy's girl who seemed to capitalized on Jimmy's attraction to Ann in order to separate Tom and Ann. James has been vocal about his criticism of the series as the cast was promised it would be very relevant to then modern society, but it seems after some initial modern situations the show focused on complicated romantic and family entanglements.     

For those of you that remember the Dobson's brief return, what did you think of the stories they developed? I felt they started off pretty strong and reset a lot of stuff (Mason for example, Santana's return), but the stories didn't have the magic of the earlier ones for some reason. Still, there work is 100X better than what we're getting today on the last 4.