Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I forgot about Craig taking Kelly hostage when Eileen played her.  I found a clip of that...and it didn't work cause eileen was too strong willed to truly be a damsel in distress.  Plus...Eileen was so wrong for the part of Kelly.  

I noticed when Pam Long wrote kelly...that damsel in distress thing went from Kelly to BJ.  Which made more sense..imho.

I do wonder how Pam Long would have written for Flame...the Dobsons didn't know quite how to write for her...and I think Flame was unique in a way that Pam Long could have handled..imho

• Members

If I were watching Santa Barbara when the Gina recast happeed...it would have been jarring...since RM didn't have the essence or resemblance to LG.  Over time, Gina became less crazy and more comedic.  

The santana recast was more seamless..at least from #2 to #3.  Gina G doesn't seem weak willed or clingy in the first episode...when did Santana veer in that direction?

• Members

I never like Santana, but my opinion has changed now thanks to Ava Lazar.

For me she’s the best Santana and a completely different character that Santana from 1985 an on.

I never knew Ava because I didn’t watch the first episodes when I was a child. I began watching with the Carnation Killer story.

But now I’m watching it (I’m in the episodes before the earthquake) and she is one of my favorite characters from 1984.

With Ava Lazar, I really root for her. Once she was fired, never like the role of Santana.

I still need to understand why the Dobson fire her. This was one of their bigger mistakes, I think.

I guess Gina Gallego version become so weak when she was between Eden and Cruz.

• Members

Does anyone know why they got rid of Ava Lazar? From what the first episode of SB, I found her to be eye catching and gorgeous. I find it odd how the Dobsons never expounded Santana's background along with her parents being the Capwell's maid & groundskeeper. It just feels like they didn't give a damn about the Andrade clan, who could've been so much more had the Dobson given more thought to them. 

I'm finding it more and more odd how the Dobsons missed so many beats and story potentials in the early years of the show b/c they focused on Eden, Mason, C.C., Cruz, Gina, and Kelly so much.