Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I was surprised it took Julia/Mason so long before they became a couple.  I always wondered if when julia asked Mason to be the father of her baby...that the writers intended for them to become a couple...or, like eden/Cruz, they had such chemistry that the story shifted to them as end game.

• Members

If I remember right, Julia was actually supposed to be the spoiler for Mason/Tori. The Baby Contract would have been the stumbling block as Mason bonded with and fell for Tori. The story goes, Mason/Julia gained traction, the audience liked them, so Tori became the spoiler instead.

• Members

I'm surprised they thought anyone would be a fan of Mason/Tori. That character was a dull mess. Was she supposed to be another Mary replacement? 

Was it you or someone else who said that Katrina was also supposed to be a Mary replacement? I watched a Mason/Katrina scene a month or two back and she was also a very odd character. 

• Members

Probably me. But I recall the Dobsons talking up their plans in either SOD or the defunct SOW (which never really came to pass in Round 2 which seemed for the best as time seemed to stop for them with regard to the characters after 1987, when they got locked out by NBC) and they mentioned Mason/Katrina and the whole Mary business while remarking that Mason/Julia were "star crossed" or whatever.

I think they left/were fired again not long after that interview, IIRC.

Considering Mason met Tori on the rooftop of the Capwell Hotel (I believe Tori was contemplating jumping, although I can't recall why), the same spot Mary met her demise, I think you can guess the answer there!

• Members

It's odd as Tori was such a weak, fragile character - I don't remember seeing any Tori scene where she wasn't a neurotic mess. Did they see Mary that way? 

If nothing else it makes you appreciate the grit HJK brought to Mary that may not have been there on the page. 

• Members

Oh! Not that it matters, but I recalled why Tori was going to jump: She had just discovered she was knocked up by Cruz (when Tori sexed him up - while he had a head injury and thought she was Eden - at the time, she was still hung up on Cruz, her ex,. [I call that rape]).

Edited by Wendy