Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Members

No, the Keith recast was played by an actor named John Novak. (And he was not Keith, try as he might.) The potted plant Julia was with, David Raymond, was played by John Beck, whose character was married to/separated from Angela Raymond, played by Nina Arvesen. Who, of course, went on to battle Cassie for Warren.

David just seemed to vanish/leave town once it was clear that Mason and Julia were on the road to reconciliation. And thank God. He sucked. All I recall was he was a judge and there was some story involving Angela's never-seen sister, Marilyn, dying or something.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Just awful stuff...you can see even here they take such time to make us pity Dash and paint his female lawyer as the one to hiss at. At least they did give Julia some great material in that scene, powerful work from NLG, especially when she tells Dash that a part of her has died thanks to the not guilty verdict. I'm always impressed with her work as Julia - it's so strong and has such clarity. She was born to play that part. 

• Members

I agree NLG was born to play the part of Julia. Unlike Alexis, Julia has parts of her that makes you love her. Alexis just doesn't. She was always too  stupid for me. 

What struck a cord with me was the last shot of the scene with Eden of looking back in the courtroom and it gradually fading black. I interpreted that as justice isn't always served and it was (that day) a dark day for justice. I also felt for MW/Eden in the scene knowing that she was raped previously. I am wondering if Eden/Julia had any heart to heart talks over the situation. If so, I bet MW & NLG tore those scenes up.  

Who was writing this show at this time? Was it Pratt or Guza? If so, I am not surprised that they'd paint Dash as some repentant sap while his lawyer basks in her glory. I found that to be extremely tasteless. 

• Members

Thanks for the heads up, @Nothin'ButAttitude. The acting from NLG as Julia was almost always great, but the whole Dash storyline? Complete trash. I actually cheered Julia on when she kidnapped his ass.

And it had to be worse for Julia, the not guilty verdict, because she always loved the law, yet it turned on her. But the construct of a he said/she said rape was all wrong for Julia, since she was always so principled. Why would she lie, you know?

I do recall one scene with Gina and not-Keith I did like, where Gina, obviously no fan of Julia's, even told Keith how much Julia valued the truth, so if she said she was raped, she was. Gina defending Julia brought out some layers, especially since Gina was herself a victim of rape.

But the good in this era was like trying to find a diamond within a pile of fertilizer.

BTW, I do recall Eden going to see Julia post verdict, so yeah, they did.