Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Members

Greg was brought as a new version of Ted. I didn't like him at all. During that time we also got the Dinapolli sisters. And perhaps Ethan, Laura and Father Michael. That's when I stopped watching on a daily basis. 

My problem was the the original Capwell kids had amazing chemistry with each other. Mason adored Ted and Kelly; Kelly and Eden were also very close and this was lost between all the recasts. One thing that bothered me with Carrington's version of Kelly was that they were getting involved with the same men. Perhaps John Conboy -who btw ruined the iconic Capwell set- saw them as the new Lori and Leslie Brooks 

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I didn't like the Michael/Laura/Ethan/Gina stories at all. I felt that TPTB could not make up their mind what to do with them. Then Laura became Heather Webber out of the blue and even had a friend in the hospital just like Heather's friend. SB should stick to focusing on the Capwells and the Lockridges, since every single new group of characters they tried to focus on didn't last more than one or two years (of weird rewrites)

• Members

The Dobsons had worked with the actor on ATWT where he played Steve and wanted to work with him again. He even had a sister and a father on the show and he was involved in stories with Julia, Gina, Celeste/Crystal, Cruz and many others.

They did the same with Lenore Karsdorf whose character Caroline was Rita Stapleton 2.0, but we all know how that ended. 

• Members

I think that Father Michael was brought by the Dobsons, during the time the show wanted to get Mason involved with another nun. 

I adored Caroline and the family dynamics in the Lockridge house with Lionel, Warren, Alice and Jane. Lenore Karsdorf was a gorgeous, talented woman who should have stayed longer on a soap opera. I always hoped that Brad Bell would bring either her or Denise Alexander as Beth Logan on B&B.

• Members

Why do you think it didn't work out with Caroline? Was it just some punishment of the Dobsons as they brought her in? 

Oh I'd forgotten about that they (Anne Howard Bailey or whoever) wanted an attractive nun for Mason to be paired with and then during the strike they cast the deaf actress instead. 

• Members

I have no idea why they were so eager to get rid of Caroline. The show had a tendency to kill off characters after they had a short period of happiness. Joe Perkins, Mary Duvall, Amy Perkins, Caroline, Hayley all had tragic deaths within a few years. I started losing interest in the show after Caroline's death because started were getting way too sad and dark for me with all the deaths and rapes. The recasts didn't help either. 

After Caroline's death and the departures of Jane and Alice the show brought back Laken as a vixen and we were informed that she never had a baby as Augusta had told everybody .Wasn't Augusta brought back as a mobster's wife after a while?

Now that you mention it, it could be Anne Howard Bailey who introduced Father Michael. 

Santa Barbara is one of the shows that would benefit from being a half-hour soap focusing on the core families. 

• Members

All those changes in cast and characters did them in.

It wasnt as though SB was an old show and the characters had run through stories. Some of them never got the chance to catch on.

Admittedly, some of the original actors were a little raw, but maybe with time would have improved.Melissa Reeves was dropped and went on to huge success and popularity on Days.

The show was well set up with Capwells,Lockridges,Perkins and Andrades. There was plenty there without bringing on a horde of newbies.