Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Members

Channing's tunnel love den set cracks me up.  There's a door that doesn't seem hidden, inside there's electricity that nobody seems to be paying for, and 10 year old book of photos of Channing and Lindsey. No bed, no floor, and no furniture.

1. Who erected the door? Just once don't you want to see a soap story about the guy who builds the secret rooms, tunnels and mausoleums?  I'm guessing that's a cash-only business. 

2.  Where's the tunnel exit on the Lockridge side?

3.  Who took the pictures if both Channing and Lindsey are in frame?

Edited by j swift

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yes, he was brought in by NBC over JFP to "fix" SB in 1990. His plan included more lavish sets, starting with a remodeled Capwell mansion, and lots of pretty new faces, most of whom were gone within six months.

I liked some of Conboy's tenure (Julia's rape, the Capwell dinner party) but always felt he was wrong for SB, which was such a special show that he didn't appear to know well. It was classy of him, however, to give credit to the incumbent production team, led by JFP,  when SB won its third (and final) Daytime Emmy for Best Show in 1990.

https://youtu.be/bjDOgVhwMzo?t=20m51s

• Members

I appreciated the redesign although I preferred the outdoor/indoor look of the first edition.  The problem with the second set was that by that time in the story very few characters lived in the Capwell house.  Ted was gone, Eden lived with Cruz, and Kelly had her own place.  As a result, we didn't get a lot of scenes with the whole family in one room.  Although the 'dinner party from hell' takes advantage of the staircase to give each actress a great entrance.  I don't get why they never expanded the Lockridge estates beyond the living room?  In 1985 the Duvall's get a bigger set than the Lockridges.  However, I do appreciate the glamour that neither family ever gathered in their kitchen.

John Conboy made beautiful shows but for me the value placed on sets and costumes didn't jibe with more intimate or character driven stories.  Two story sets are meant for dramatic exits, spy stories, and women dragging long scarves across the floor.  However, those sets aren't good for the long two person talking scenes that, for me, are a hallmark of vintage soaps.

Edited by j swift

• Members

All of the sets, pre-Conboy, had a distinctly California feel and distinguished SB from the soaps set in the Midwest and East Coast. The Capwell mansion, Julia's beach house, and Cruz and Eden's house were all unlike anything on any other soap.

Edited by redontop4

• 3 weeks later...