Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Can't say about Terry Lester, but I don't remember Lane Davies ever showing a lack of support or respect for daytime. He chose not to submit himself for the Emmy, which is prerogative. But I've never heard him trying to distance himself from SB, even if he voiced displeasure over some of the choices the writers made for Mason.

• Members

I think we all have to remember that to them, this was a job... and everyone always likes and dislikes certain aspects of a job.  Thinking about that, I've softened my stance on Robin Wright and her lack of warmth in regards to her 4 year stint on SB.  To us, we loved seeing her act.. but she did have her 1st husband fired, then the show basically forcing her to stay an extra year just so she could film A princess Bride.. then the writers putting her character into a hamster wheel post Joe (first with Nick/Dylan.. then with Jeffery/TJ)... I could see why she would quit because the challenge wasn't there anymore.

I do love seeing Julia pre-Mason.. and going through two or three bad romances her first 18 months or so before she and Mason start their slow descent to being a couple.  It was a blessing for Julia as a character, yet also a curse.... because her character was almost trapped in the Mason/Julia vortex.. and it didn't help that the characters over a 4.5 year span broke up and made up three times.   I don't recall Eden/Cruz doing that after they finally married in spring 1988 until Marcy Walker departed in mid 1991.  They had stormy times, but never broke up.. even when her ex flame Robert came back into the picture.

• Members

Nope...they stayed connected through loveless marriages to Kirk "The Jerk" Cranston and Santana Andrade, respectively. In hindsight, they should have just killed Eden off instead of having her just up and leave the way she did. She and Cruz had gone through so much together and had kids, and the bond would have only been severed by death...or a soap opera death leaving the door open for such a popular performer to return if she so chose.

• Members

A soap critic once wrote that the one thing that connects all soap characters is that they never tell the truth to their loved ones.  For example, I was just watching Maggie the Cop and Warren flirt.  Maggie is undercover tracking a criminal who lives across the hall and she is wired for sound to Cruz.  However, rather than just telling Warren that she's working, she lets him blow her cover and endanger herself!  Now, I am not a detective (nor have I received any covert training) but I think there are more logical solutions. 

The same thing constantly happens to Eden and Cruz & Mason and Julia; they can't tell each other some police/company/investigation secret when there are no steaks involved in divulging the information to each other.  The character's rigid adherence to confidentiality over their personal and familial relationships strains credulity.  

• Members

Earlier this month I saw Nancy Lee Grahn at the grocery store.  Nobody seemed to notice her which is not unusual in Los Angeles.  However, it made me ponder this fact: here is an actress who has worked steadily for almost 40 years and, has been watched by at least 3 million people a day yet, she can be so under radar of mass media.

It must be an odd sort of fame.