Why doesn't PGP start a cable channel?

• Members

I was reading a post on another board, and I wondering about a question I have. PGP used to have eleven soap opera on the air back in the day and now only two remain, GL & ATWT. I was wondering with the success of SoapNet and seeing that GL and ATWT have no cable outlet while the other daytime shows do, why don't they start their channel featuring a lot of their back catalog of shows. PGP is multibillion dollar company, so they have the money to start their own channel, and sell their products at the same time.

I know they this supposed channel on AOL Classic TV but why not use the archives they have of these old shows since they just gathering dust where they are now. I just get the feeling that GL and ATWT will be off the air within two years from now, so why not make a home for them outside of CBS.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

PGP was horrible when it came to archiving their soaps. Virtually nothing exists from the 50's, 60's, and most of the 70's. They used to tape over old film, since it was cheaper. Hell, I know someone who worked on Search For Tomorrow who said they taped over old film for that show's finale. Most of what remains from SFT comes from the NBC achieves, and the show only had like 4 years on that network. If PGP were to start their own network, they wouldn't have much outside of stuff from the 80's to present. Which means, we'll see a lot of GL, ATWT, AW, SFT, and EON.

I don't think the idiots at PGP care anymore about soaps. :(

• Members

I don't think PGP wants to remain in the soap business much longer. If the ratings for ATWT and especially GL don't pick up, they will probably drop them soon. I think PGP sees soaps as a dying business (they aren't wrong, actually), and don't see the point in wasting any more time on it. They've never seemed interested in doing anything to try to save the soaps, really.

• Members

They were going to at one time. I believe SoapCity was going to be the name of the network, but they couldn't get enough cable clearance, so they did the website instead. Then well...we all know how that turned out.

It was gonna be DAYS, PGP & Y&R I think.

• Members

That was actually a Sony Owned entity that was to feature same-day Y&R, ATWT, and GL and the biggest hoopala was about their acquisition of SANTA BARBARA.

Until the bitter end, there was kind if like a war between which one would get to consumers first and which one would actually have the financial clearance and backing from cable companies. Of course, SOAPnet won.

• Members

I read in the SoapSass column Michael Logan did awhile back that said SOAPnet(pre-Frons) wanted to acquire SB and even tried to rescore the music, but said that even that would be prohibitive. I also hear that Logan, for either the Emmys or the Soap Opera Awards, tried to use alot of SB clips over music, but that they would have had to pay for the music used during those scenes, regardless of if it was heard(or at least that's the way I understood it). And Logan was surprisingly candid in this column, so I have no reason to believe he was kissing ass to the nets in that column.

The thing is that if I were a fan of SB or any other soap, I'd rather have it rescored without the popular music than not at all.

And the songs Rick Rhodes and Dominic Messenger wrote for SB in foreign countries wasn't THAT bad. I have the California Clan soundtrack and it was actually your standard, adult contemporary crap.

I'd rather have soaps without popular music than no soaps with popular music.

• Members

The issue about the music rights is what SoapNet finally claimed (after the last run, anyway) was the reason it didn't air Ryan's Hope past 1981.

I'm at least glad to have the option to watch shows like EON and AW online. Definitely better than nothing at all. I don't think any PTB are interested in a classic soap lineup. SoapNet keeps moving and diminishing what classic soaps they had. Plus, when they do have special marathons or episodes featuring older shows, it's usually to relate to current storylines. They consider classic shows to be Brenda Barrett and newbie mobster Jason and a few Carlys ago. :rolleyes:

• Members

It is economically unsound for PGP to create a TV channel for their past daytime shows. Even if they earned a profit, it would be too miniscule for them to last as long as SOAPnet has. The operating costs in todays TV market is too astronomical. PGP should not create a TV channel. They should just post episodes/clips online or work out a deal to air their material on SOAPnet or other networks.

Archived