Summer 1997: Plane Crash

February 2006: Mardi Gras Ball Bomb Explosion

OLTL

May 2006: Tornado

2007: OPP Acts of Terror

GH

September 1977: Hurricane

1979: Lassa Fever Epidemic

August 1981: Blizzard (aka Ice Princess)

June 1983: General Hospital Hostage Crisis

1987: General Hospital Hostage Crisis

1988: Port Charles Arts Festival Bomb Explosion

1990: Blackout

1991: S.S Tracy Explosion/Toxic Spill & Earthquake

June 2001: Bus/Train Collision

February 2004: Port Charles Hotel Fire

July 2005: Hurricane

November 2005: Train Collision

February 2006: Encephalitis Epidemic

August 2006: Blackout

February 2007: Port Charles Hotel Hostage Crisis/Explosion

Y&R

1999: Victor Newman’s Plane Crash

2003: Gina’s Restaurant Fire

December 2006: Ice Storm

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the best disaster story since the 1990s belongs to GH for the February 2007 Port Charles Hotel Hostage Crisis/Explosion. GH has great chances at winning the 2008 Drama Series, Writing & Directing Daytime Emmys. But it still isn't a done deal.

I'm so glad Dena Higley's proposed Llanview High School Shooting Massacre for May Sweeps 2007 was scrapped by Disney. That story would have further ruined the already fragile & depressing OLTL. Plus, Higley didn't deserve any type of significant ratings increase during her horrible tenure.

• Members

I disagree, i think they should ahve went with it. I felt the same way back in the 90's when the wb puleld Buffy's eppy "Earshot" where she thunks someone is going to shootup the highschool. It was supose to air, then Columbine happend and it didnt. I understand both sides, but i wish they would have just gone with it.

GH def does the best "disasters" (read: sweep stunts!). the train crash, the hotel on fire, the hostages... anyelse waiting for them all to on a cruise ship that egts turned upside down by a rouge wave?

Sube's Shockwave was amazing, IMO.

I liked the earthquakes on Days a few years back as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I really think if Disney allowed Higley's planned Llanview High School Shooting to be televised, it would have further destroyed OLTL. With Higley, I wouldn't put it pass per to create a "Jump The Shark" moment or two. I was thrilled when ABC announced the cancellation of the story. But, boy did May 2007 ever suck for OLTL! :o

With Frons at the helm, it would not surprise me.

I respectfully disagree. There was nothing good about Sunset Beach. It was just about 420 episodes of crap.

Killing off Duke Buchanan accomplished nothing in the long run. Both Kevin & Kelly are in London, UK. Kelly...on top of...Duke...when the tornado hit? :rolleyes:

Thank you for addressing me as such, dmarex. Please call me Ru. Santa Barbara's earthquake story was really well done.

• Members

Ru, Sube overall was not great - i liked it as it was camp and fun to watch. but it wasnt some good daytime drama.

however Shockwave & Terror Island were amazing...

IMO, GH has done the best at this. The sweeps since 04's fire have all been amazing to watch. the writing, directing, acting, everything has just been amazing. The best was the feb stunt with the hostages.

Days did a good one back in the early 90's. i think it was a blackout. it was a primetime eppy.

and OLTL did a good ice storm or something like that a few years back that i liked.

• Members

Do you think GH can top itself after February's amazing hostage taking? I think they can if many past characters who are tied to current backburned characters return. This is what the fallout from the hostage taking should have been like.

Should OLTL have a disaster storyline for sweeps? If so, what kind? They've got to increase their ratings significantly after all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members
  • Members

I certainly hope they do not because I am so sick of this overrated soap being pimped at the Emmys. They should not be winning Drama Series Emmys for just two good episodes out of the entire crappy year. The 2005 one was a joke since the hotel fire looked like it came out of a comic book rather than in real life. I was not that impressed with the train wreck and the Black and White Ball has been more boring than reading Thomas Hobbes' Leviathan. The only good part about them winning Drama Series in 2005 was The Wicked Witch of the West got cut off

Emmys should be based on consistency throughout the year and not just two great picked episodes but then again that would be hard right now since no soap is really that good at this moment, except for OLTL and B&B (but OLTL is slacking a little)

Archived