The Tennis Thread

5 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

The women's side always be has new champions.

And I like that. We’ll see if she can be a Naomi and back it up with more majors or be an Ostapenko.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Deep down, you know Aga has got to feel some kind of way.

The women's side always be has new champions. It's the men's side that is in desperate need of new champions.

Aga was never grand slam material.

I always wonder if the rumors of Rafa and drugs were true. To win 12? 

Just now, Soapsuds said:

Aga was never grand slam material.

I always wonder if the rumors of Rafa and drugs were true. To win 12? 

Neither was Majoli and yet ...

Regardless, it has still got to sting, given the fact that Aga reached a final.

Just now, DramatistDreamer said:

Women's tennis is far more interesting to me than the men's side, which is entirely too hierarchical and predictable.

Ha it's the opposite for me. I'm tired of seeing underdeveloped games in the women winning majors. 

1 minute ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Neither was Majoli and yet ...

Regardless, it has still got to sting, given the fact that Aga reached a final.

Majoli...lawd had forgotten about her...she was forgettable...

Who won in 2017? 😂 she hasn't done anything since...her game was so bad but yet she won a major.

Hey, Martin Verkerk got to a final, so the men's side has had its share of duds going the distance in tournaments too.

This year's U.S. Open, the women had higher ratings than the men. Overall, both finals nosedived compared to the previous year. It will be interesting to see what this year's RG rankings yield on U.S. Television.

Last year's U.S. Open was decent mix of veteran and new prospects all the way up to the finals, while this year, it was tipped too heavily in one direction.

I honestly don't know what it means for the future of the sport, except maybe tennis digging deeper into niche status.

3 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Hey, Martin Verkerk got to a final, so the men's side has had its share of duds going the distance in tournaments too.

This year's U.S. Open, the women had higher ratings than the men. Overall, both finals nosedived compared to the previous year. It will be interesting to see what this year's RG rankings yield on U.S. Television.

Probably lower than the Open. I don't know why NBC has the finals when TC covers it all.

Although I like John/Mary combo over TC with Jim Courier and Brent Haber...just awful

Just now, Soapsuds said:

Probably lower than the Open. I don't know why NBC has the finals when TC covers it all.

NBC has the finals?

Yeesh, shows you how little I have been following the tournament this year.😳

I hate when you can’t follow the whole tournament on a platform other than TC, which I have to pay extra for. It’s a problem, particularly with the French. I’m spoiled by the other tournaments airing on ESPN.

3 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

NBC has the finals?

Yeesh, shows you how little I have been following the tournament this year.😳

Yes they've had it for years. NBC didn't make the trip to Paris though because of the pandemic. They are in CA doing via remote...

3 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

I hate when you can’t follow the whole tournament on a platform other than TC, which I have to pay extra for. It’s a problem, particularly with the French. I’m spoiled by the other tournaments airing on ESPN.

I miss the USA network/CBS coverage of the US Open.

ESPN and TC are so damn bias!!

Just now, Soapsuds said:

Yes they've had it for years. NBC didn't make the trip to Paris though because of the pandemic. They are in CA doing via remote...

I meant this year. I just assumed that NBC had given the whole thing over to TC.  I guess TC hasn't broadened it's subscriber base wide enough to exclusively handle a Grand Slam, which is just as well since wing nuts now own and operate a considerable share of TC.

57 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

The women's side always has new champions. It's the men's side that is in desperate need of new champions.

So true! If my math is correct Federer/Nadal/Djokovic have won 56(!) of the last 67 Majors, including the French Open currently being played.

Only 10 men have won a Major since 2004, when the Fed/Nadal/Djokovic era began in earnest, compared to 27 women.

Women’s Grand Slam finalists among active players (winners asterisked):

Andreescu*

Azarenka*

Barty*

Bouchard
Clijsters*
Errani

Halep*
Kenin*

Kerber*
Keys

Kuznetsova*