Jump to content

The Tennis Thread


Recommended Posts


  • Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Soapsuds

    3000

  • Faulkner

    2102

  • DramatistDreamer

    1692

  • ChitHappens

    1320

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

There was a lot of cheering on my TL when that announcement was made. I'm trying to parse why.

 

For most of the season, everyone's talking about the Slams and the bigger tournaments, while failing to paying attention to the smaller tournaments which seem to have little to no money for proper testing.  This is disturbing to me.

 

Edited by DramatistDreamer
had to add failing, makes a big difference.
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a sports junkie and nothing is the same now.  They're trying to go on with the NHL and Major League Baseball but with no fans/audience it's just hollow.  Football will be the same for me.  Tennis was the one thing I was looking forward to just because during points the fans pretty much have to stay quiet, and sure it's great to see crowd reaction after certain points is great, but for the most part during the points the camera stays on the players.  So Tennis isn't as much the same as other large crowd sports.  Disappointed that so many players are dropping out, but it's understandable.  And really the ones that have to fly from overseas.  I wouldn't fly right now.  And if I'm a U.S. player or any of the ones that just live here, I'd drive to the US Open rather than fly.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Serena will ever get a better chance to win that elusive #24. With so many dangerous opponents absent (Barty, Halep, Andreescu, Svitolina, Bertens etc) this could be her big opportunity to tie Margaret Court's record.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Spikes in cases in Paris. NY was trashed by players and most pulled out waiting for Paris...and Paris wanted fans in the stands. It aint happening!

Edited by Soapsuds
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2020 at 4:04 PM, I Am A Swede said:

I wonder if Serena will ever get a better chance to win that elusive #24. With so many dangerous opponents absent (Barty, Halep, Andreescu, Svitolina, Bertens etc) this could be her big opportunity to tie Margaret Court's record.

 

First off, Margaret Court is fake news... but if Serena has to wait until the rest of the field has dropped out to win a Slam, that's pretty pathetic, especially for someone in possession of 23 Slams.  Serena has beaten way better than this current batch but she can't get out of her head long enough to get over the finish line.  If you can get to a final, you can cross that line when you've done it 23 times before.  I'm over Serena embarrassing herself in finals.  She is THE queen and I'm good with all that she's given.  Time to crap or get off the pot.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ChitHappens said:

 

First off, Margaret Court is fake news... but if Serena has to wait until the rest of the field has dropped out to win a Slam, that's pretty pathetic, especially for someone in possession of 23 Slams.  Serena has beaten way better than this current batch but she can't get out of her head long enough to get over the finish line.  If you can get to a final, you can cross that line when you've done it 23 times before.  I'm over Serena embarrassing herself in finals.  She is THE queen and I'm good with all that she's given.  Time to crap or get off the pot.  

 

I don't see what's fake about her. You might (and thankfully most people do) disagree with her views on things, but there's nothing fake about her achievements on the tennis court.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, I Am A Swede said:

 

I don't see what's fake about her. You might (and thankfully most people do) disagree with her views on things, but there's nothing fake about her achievements on the tennis court.

 

Court's personal views are not my business.  When Steffy had 22 Slams, the highest before Serena, you didn't hear about Court.  Now that Serena has 23, MC is the best until Serena breaks that record.  As Chrissy once said, many of Court's Slams were won due to lots of no shows.  She didn't even have to play good players in many of the tournies because many players wouldn't go.  Is that the legacy Serena has to beat and turning herself in knots over?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, ChitHappens said:

 

Court's personal views are not my business.  When Steffy had 22 Slams, the highest before Serena, you didn't hear about Court.  Now that Serena has 23, MC is the best until Serena breaks that record.  As Chrissy once said, many of Court's Slams were won due to lots of no shows.  She didn't even have to play good players in many of the tournies because many players wouldn't go.  Is that the legacy Serena has to beat and turning herself in knots over?  

 

Apparently Serena thinks so...

But personally I don't think you can compare players (or achievements) from such different eras, nor do I think you can label one player as the greatest of all time. Greatest of a certain era yes, but not of all time. There are to many differences in equipment, level of competition, training methods etc

Tennis is so different now from when, for example, Margaret Court was playing. Not to mention compared to when other greats like Lenglen, Wills Moody or Connolly was playing. I don't even think you could compare tennis now to when Navratilova and Evert were playing, or the early years of Graf and Seles.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

Gotta say, I like Hawkeye making all the line calls. 

Me too!  They had used it in exhibitions last month. 

 

Lots of upsets.

 

But WTF with Thiem.  He has gotten buff but he didn't show up. I think not having a crowd impacted his play. Then he gets thrown to small court 10.😢

Edited by Soapsuds
Link to post
Share on other sites

They’re saying these courts are playing like they did in the Sampras era: lightning-fast. I can imagine some adjustment issues. They say Ashe and Armstrong won’t be as quick.
 

Is it me, or are the guys on ESPN talking over the game more? Usually they’d STFU once the ball was in play.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

They’re saying these courts are playing like they did in the Sampras era: lightning-fast. I can imagine some adjustment issues. They say Ashe and Armstrong won’t be as quick.
 

Is it me, or are the guys on ESPN talking over the game more? Usually they’d STFU once the ball was in play.

Yes they are. TC is more quieter in their telecast of this tournament.

The ESPN guys are gushing over the super fast courts because the serve bots might win like Isner and Opelka.........thanks @DramatistDreamer you wanted the faster courts..lol

 

Isner is a prick...talking off his mask during his interview and complaining about it and the director getting after him for not wearing the mask.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...