Toups

The Tennis Thread

52 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

I’m not sure why Thiem risked further injury by playing Rio either.

It was obvious he shouldn't have played. He needed the rest and someone observed him pointing to his forearm in practice. His shots weren't penetrating the court. He should've taken the whole month off since he no longer plays the Acapulco tournament. He still has 3 weeks off until Indian Wells. And he will reach a new high ranking of #3 on Monday. I think that's why he played because Thiem wanted to overtake Roger this week. Even if Roger had competed and won next week Thiem was going to overtake him.

Edited by Soapsuds

Long past time for tennis to build a comprehensive plan to protect players, ballkids, staff and spectators from the coronavirus. Indian Wells, where viral outbreaks have been known to happen in the past is particularly of concern.

3 hours ago, Soapsuds said:

What will they do about the Italian Open in May? 

🤷🏾‍♀️ Probably pray that it goes away by then. Chinese officials told the W.H.O. that they believed the infections would crest by April but the numbers have not declined, only slowed since then.  Italian bureaucracy is a total mess, so it's any guess what the Roman municipal government will do.  The ITF had better take charge of this.

5 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

🤷🏾‍♀️ Probably pray that it goes away by then. Chinese officials told the W.H.O. that they believed the infections would crest by April but the numbers have not declined, only slowed since then.  Italian bureaucracy is a total mess, so it's any guess what the Roman municipal government will do.  The ITF had better take charge of this.

I believe I heard by summer the cases should decrease due to it being warmer.